• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Code 95 - Fuel Pump Sec. Circuit Failure?

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
After doing some searching and reading, it sounds like the relays in RJM's harness are crap and should be replaced. I will buy a new relay tomorrow for the fuel pump relay, but here is my problem...

I have had fuel issues in the past. They come and go. I had the Bronco running perfectly yesterday (never out of park - just in the garage). I set my timing yesterday and it ran great. I cranked it today and it ran like crap. I pulled codes and got the usual ones I expect, but also got a CM code 95 - fuel pump secondary circuit failure. I put my hand on the fuel supply line and the fuel pressure is purging - not steady pressure like it should be. I have felt this before when it ran like crap, but it has gone away on its own. Now it's back on its own too I guess.

Where do I start chasing with the meter? Other than pulling them one by one how can I tell which relay is the fuel pump?

TIA
Robert

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OK... is the inertia switch wired directly to the relay? If so I can chase that pink wire too.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
OK... is the inertia switch wired directly to the relay? If so I can chase that pink wire too.

Yes it is. Inertia switch is another potential source of your problem too.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Keep us posted on what you find. I unexpectedly got that code too a few weeks ago when I pulled codes but haven't had any fuel pump circuit issues that I'm aware of.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am at work now so can't try this to see, but I read on RJM's site that the inertia switch must be mounted in the vertical position. Mine currently is laying on its side in the glove box. I wonder if this could have something to do with my problem?

70_Steve

Old Guy
Mine currently is laying on its side in the glove box.
Hmm, interesting... Mine is currently laying on it's side in the glove box, also. But... It's not hooked to anything!!!;D

Guess I should fix that before too long...

mattt

Bronco Guru
Keep us posted on what you find. I unexpectedly got that code too a few weeks ago when I pulled codes but haven't had any fuel pump circuit issues that I'm aware of.

Todd Z.

Me three

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not really sure what I figured out but here is what I did....

Cranked motor and it had same symptoms as yesterday. I unplugged the 2 wires from the inertia switch and connected them directly to bypass the switch. Re-cranked and same problem.

I did not know which relay was the fuel pump and cannot see the wiring on the back side so I cut the engine off and one by one removed the relays until I figured it out with key on. It was the last one of course. I swapped it with a different relay and same problem.

Next I decided to check the voltage going to my pump. My meter was laying in the back of the bronco on top of the fuel cell. When I reached for it, I opened the fuel cell to check that I had plenty of fuel, which I did. I closed the fuel cell, cranked motor, and climbed under to check the voltage at the pump. I was getting a constant 13.54 volts. By sound I did not hear the pump purging like the supply line felt by hand. I grabbed the supply line about a foot in front of the pump and no sporadic pressure purging. I got up and felt the line in the engine compartment and still none. I pressed the gas and it's smooth again ?:?

Whether it is related to code 95 or not, I am thinking that the tank was not venting and when I opened the filler up it got some air. It did not act like it was sucking air when I opened it and I do have a vent line on it. The vent line was resting on the floor beside the tank - but the elevation of the vent compared to the fuel should not matter right? The vent comes out of the top of the fuel cell and it is aprox. 1/4 full. Does an EFI tank even need to be vented?

If I get home early enough tomorrow from work I am going to pull it out and give it some load. If I can re-create the problem I will open the filler when it happens to see if it solves it and then I will KNOW I have a vent problem.

Wish I had a better solution but for now it's running well again!

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
Yes the tank needs a vent.

im wondering about this as well. everytime i go to fill up...i have to bleed the pressure off the gas cap before opening it. but i really havent thought much bout it since most FI cars do the same thing when ya fill it up. ive never had any fuel starving issues tho.

i really hope ya get this thing figured out robert

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am at work now so can't try this to see, but I read on RJM's site that the inertia switch must be mounted in the vertical position. Mine currently is laying on its side in the glove box. I wonder if this could have something to do with my problem?

Yes! it is magnetically held and can wobble offcenter if not vertical.

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
That inertia switch can get ya. I couldn't get any juice to my pump the first time I tried. I even pulled the tank off and pulled the pump out to test it. It tested fine so I put it back together and again no juice. It finally struck me that the used inertia switch might have been tripped when I bought it and sure enough it was. I reset it and the pump has worked fine ever since.

Good luck with your issue. Maybe it's just a bad pump.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Maybe all inertial switches are not created equal, but I have had mine dangling from the harness for years and never had an issue. If the button is not popped, I am sure it is fine and the switch is not the issue here.

I bet it is a venting issue. I had that problem once too. Make sure your return line is not obstructed and you have a vented cap.

Is the pump priming when you initiate these tests that produce code 95?

Also, consider putting a light or meter on the pump power line to monitor next time it happens to eliminate the pump or its power as a potential player here.

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe all inertial switches are not created equal, but I have had mine dangling from the harness for years and never had an issue. If the button is not popped, I am sure it is fine and the switch is not the issue here.

I bet it is a venting issue. I had that problem once too. Make sure your return line is not obstructed and you have a vented cap.

Is the pump priming when you initiate these tests that produce code 95?

Also, consider putting a light or meter on the pump power line to monitor next time it happens to eliminate the pump or its power as a potential player here.

I have checked my tank vent. It is a fuel cell with a sealed cap, but I have a -8 barb coming out of it with a 3/4" rubber line and cheapo mine-cone filter on the end of that. It's only about 3 feet long - long enough to zip tie up to the roll cage and keep it off the floor. It's currently on the floor though.

Yes, the pump is priming when I do the KOEO codes.

A light on the fuel pump is an excellent idea and with a short piece of wire it will be easily visible from the driver seat.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
You may find this helpful...

Credit given to http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,29871.0.html

Fuel Pump Codes 87/95/96 Troubleshooting

Codes Definitions:

87 - Primary Fuel Pump Circuit Failure (CM,O)
95 - Fuel Pump Circuit Open-PCM To Motor Ground (CM,O)
96 - Fuel Pump Circuit Open-Battery To PCM (CM,O)

Fuel Pump Relay & Circuit Description

AR181.jpg

FPM-SIGNAL.jpg

EEC-FP_RELAYS.JPG

Inertia_Switch.gif

FP_relay_Diagram.jpg

INERTIA SWITCH

Description:

The ECM generates an initial ground pulse (FP signal at pin 22) to activate fuel pump relay when ignition key is turned on (pump prime). Subsequent FP pulse generation will depend on the presence of the PIP pulse, generated by the stator sensor/TFI module when engine is cranking or on.
The FP signal (FP relay triggering), wire, and relay coil are known as / referred to as the PRIMARY circuit.
At the same time the FP pulse is generated the ECM monitors a 12-vdc signal, from the FP relay, to confirm the fuel pump is receiving power, or its ON/OFF status at pin 19 in the ECM. This signal is identified as the Fuel Pump Monitor (FPM) 12-vdc signal, also identified, or referred to as the SECONDARY circuit.
For the purpose of better understanding the components, codes 87 & 95 are PRIMARY circuit failures and code 96 is a SECONDARY circuit failure code. Code 96 deal with the FPM circuit and codes 87 & 95 with the FP, or triggering signal to activate the FP relay.

Tools Required: (in addition to the generic tools)

Digital VOM or DMM
Wiring diagrams for your year Mustang
Vacuum diagram for your year Mustang

Testing Procedure:

For the purpose of better understanding the components, codes 87 & 95 are PRIMARY circuit failures and code 96 is a SECONDARY circuit failure code. Code 96 deal with the FPM circuit and codes 87 & 95 with the FP, or triggering signal to activate the FP relay.

Codes 87 & 95 (PRIMARY Circuit)Testing Procedure:

1. Code 87 possible causes are:

Open VPWR circuit between the EEC relay and the FP relay.
Open in FP relay coil (faulty FP relay).
Open wire in FP signal circuit (ECM pin 22).
Faulty inertia/fuel-cutoff switch (when inertia switch is part of the primary or "relay activating" circuit).

2. Code 95 possible causes are:

Inertia-fuel cutoff switch is open (when inertia switch is part of the primary or "relay activating" circuit)
Open wire between the FP relay and ECM pin 19 (FPM signal)
Bad FP ground
FP relay stuck closed (FP on all the time even when ignition is off)
FPM signal wire shorted to VPWR
Faulty ECM

3. Verify inertia switch is not tripped or open. Reset if required, if code continues to show, measure resistance at inertia switch pins, if reading is greater than 5 ohms...replace the switch....a no start condition would be obviously present and FP will not prime.

4. Using the supplied diagrams, check for 12-vdc with VOM between the 12-vdc always hot terminal and ground, Ign Off....reading should be 12-vdc....and check for 12-vdc with VOM between the 12-vdc VPWR terminal and ground, Ign On....reading should be 12-vdc....NO….trace and repair open wire, fuse link, ignition switch connector or ignition switch.....YES….goto 6.

5. If FP stays on all the time after turning ign off, locate and remove FP relay...if FP turns off, measure ign on input at relay connector, with ign off, is 12-vdc present.....YES...problem is either a stuck closed EEC relay or the wire is shorted to VPWR....NO...goto 6.

6. Measure for 12-vdc with VOM between the 12-vdc always hot terminal and the FP signal terminal at the FP relay connector, ign off....reading should be 0-vdc....YES....replace FP relay...NO....disconnect ECM, measure resistance between the FP signal terminal at the relay connector and ground...resistance should be equal/greater than 10K ohms...NO...trace and repair FP signal wire short to ground....YES...replace ECM.

Code 96 (SECONDARY Circuit)Testing Procedure:

1. A service code 96 means a fuel pump secondary circuit failure....secondary circuit means the on/off circuit in the relay that supplies the 12-vdc voltage to the pump and is monitored by the Fuel Pump Monitor (FPM) pin or signal at the ECM pin 19.

2. Access ECM connector and check for 12-vdc at pin 19 wire, engine running….reading should be 12-vdc….Yes…replace ECM…NO…trace open wire to FP relay output to fuel pump and repair as required.

3. Clear codes, perform a 5-10 minutes drive cycle, and recheck the system for codes. If codes repeat, an intermittent wiring problem is present or the ECM is faulty.