• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

freeze plug help

landacre

Loc.
Spring Branch, TX
I have a 170 straight six that had a hole in the freeze plug. I replaced the freeze plug with a new one of the same size, now the new one is leaking around the edge. I have no idea what I should do now. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Bronco_46256

Loc.
Elkhart
The engines we build at work use Blue Loctite around all freeze plugs upon installation.

I would take the new one out, roll it sideways in thick Loctite and replace. 10 bucks sez it seals....8)

72Sport

Bronco Guru
landacre said:
I have a 170 straight six that had a hole in the freeze plug. I replaced the freeze plug with a new one of the same size, now the new one is leaking around the edge. I have no idea what I should do now. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Remove it. When you put the new one in don't hammer the new one in the middle. The bigger the dent in the center the looser it will fit and the greater chance it will leak. When you put the new one in You want something that will contact the flange on the plug and not the center. I always use Permatex #2 as a sealer. Never had one leak.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Like he said, there needs to be some sealer on the plug when you install it. A little scotchbrite pad to remove the corrosion in the bore before you install the new one helps as well.

In the old days I used silicone. I used silicone on everything back then. I have also used loctite. I recently found something that was listed specificly for core plugs, but I can't remember what it is. I am thinking it is anarobic sealer or a dirivitive of the loctite family.

It just sucks when you have to fix your repair!

Bronco_46256

Loc.
Elkhart
I'll try to get a freeze plug sealer number off of the cylinder block line tomorrow and post.

I have extra for engine repairs prior to shipment to Ford, but I think its been repacked out of the original container.

357Bronco

Loc.
New Hampsha
I've always used Hi tach made by Permatex, to seal freeze plugs. As previous posts state, clean the bore and install with caution. A socket that fits just inside the plug works if you don't have something to catch the outer edge. Broncobowsher is right, fixing your repairs blows!!!!!, and it happens to everyone.