• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

74 power steering rebuild?

cody72sport

when you put new seals in a steering box is it necessary to remove the pitman arm? the pitman arm on my box was too big to remove with any of the pullers at autozone when i did the swap. it all ran fine for a day or so then the box started leaking pretty good. i have the new seal kit and im a little nervous to tear my box down. any tips or diagrams or build threads to help me? thanks guys!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've never done it, but I can't imagine a way to change any sector-shaft seals without removing the pitman arm first. Something at the input section, sure, but the sector shaft? Doubt it.
But I've been wrong before too, so maybe you can.

Did any of the pitman arm pullers you tried at least clamp the edges of the arm? If you can get one at least to clamp, you should be able to get it to work by putting some tension on it, then smacking the sides of the arm with two hammers to loosen it.
If you've never tried the two-hammer routine, it works pretty good. What you do is lay one heavy hammer up alongside the arm where the splines are. Next you wang the opposing side with another heavy steel hammer. The huge shock load this applies to the entire casting is typically enough to dislodge the spline interface.
You might have to hit it a few times, and you might have to re-apply pressure using the puller, but it usually works.

Good luck.

Paul

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The pitman arm on the bronco is about 1/8 wider than any of the pullers I've seen. I was able to use a 2 jaw gear puller on the last two(about a month ago), couple that with some heat and it popped right off. I did find that using a couple 3/4 ratchet extensions, I was able to pound on the pitman arm from the top, I have one extension that has become my "drift".

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105657&highlight=pitman

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I too was in the same boat as you trying to get the pitman arm off with the same type of puller. I took a grinder and flattened the sides of the pitman arm just enough to get the puller on.Worked perfectly and did no harm to the pitman arm.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
When I rebuilt my '77 box I had to take it down to the parts store to use the press on it. It took all that press had to pop it loose.