• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What tools do you carry? Tool storage?

Biohazard

Loc.
Central Arkansas
As the time grows near to tear into the old pony, I am making lists of ideas and simple mods to make my trail rides safe and worry free. One of the things that I have been brainstorming about (one of many.....) is tools. I noticed after talking to a few guys out on the trails, some started out carring as much as possible, but never needing most of it, and later simplifying things to conserve very valuable room and wieght. The reason for this thread is to share some ideas of absolute necessities, to outright luxuries, and clean, efficient storage of any or all tools everyone recommends for their rigs, both daily and offroad only, both low budget wise and high end no dollar spared........

So what's your tool setup? Wishlist? Absolutes or just because's?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
As the time grows near to tear into the old pony, I am making lists of ideas and simple mods to make my trail rides safe and worry free. One of the things that I have been brainstorming about (one of many.....) is tools. I noticed after talking to a few guys out on the trails, some started out carring as much as possible, but never needing most of it, and later simplifying things to conserve very valuable room and wieght. The reason for this thread is to share some ideas of absolute necessities, to outright luxuries, and clean, efficient storage of any or all tools everyone recommends for their rigs, both daily and offroad only, both low budget wise and high end no dollar spared........

So what's your tool setup? Wishlist? Absolutes or just because's?

Jumper cables
Bottle jack - block of wood for a wider base
tool(s) to remove wheel nuts, torque wrench - with 3" extension, double head socket 3/4" & 13/16"
Rags
tube of hand cleaner
Flashlight
spare fuses
Mechanics gloves
couple bottles of water

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I put all my stuff in an Ariat back pack I got for free when I bought some boots.
Keeps everything quiet and out of the way. Even the tow strap fits in there.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
As to tools there have been several people say that they carry a set from Harbor Freight.
If someone steals it you haven't lost a lot of money, and won't feel the need to take it out only to have it forgotten at home the time you need it.
Any tool that fails can be replaced individually with one from a garage sale, pawn shop or thrift store.

I know that I don't want to lose another tool box full of higher priced tools.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
If I'm going wheeling for a week in Moab, Rube, Fordyce, etc I take every tool it would take to repair about any part on my Bronco... If I'm going for a 200 mile day cruise with my wife across the State I take less-but not much less.

I have a two tool boxes that serve as the mount for my fold and tilt rear seat. They fit wheel well to wheel well and from appr 3" behind the front of the wheel well clear to the tailgate. They are packed from tire plug kits to 5mm line splices (never used) to axles and drive lines...toss in ujoints, extra locking hubs, TPS, etc and I'm good to go... course straps, jacks, and every tool needed to replace ANY part that's accessible is always riding with me. They are always locked in the 14ga boxes that are locked with 2- keyed alike deadbolts, same as my house. They are pretty dang secure...

If you have the ability to fix something on a great wheeling vacation and you're out on the trail and you left the 1 1/16" open end wrench you need to access and remove the castle nut on whatever... you'll be po'd knowing what bench at home you left it on...

Just my .02, but I hate ruining a vacation or a great trip because I left a spare drive line at home...

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
After totally rebuilding one, seems a 1/2" wrench is mostly what you need.
Seriously, same tools I carry in all my cars. I have a bag with your typical hand tools I transfer to cars and then jumper cables and a flashlight. My truck is like new, so I trust it as I would any modern car. Maybe trust it more.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
x2...Go to Harbor Freight or Northern Tools and get one of those all inclusive tool kits that has 3/8" and 1/4" sockets plus some Allen and open end wrenches and maybe some screwdrivers. They come in a slim, plastic carrying case when closed and take up little space. Make sure it's not the one you would use around the house which includes a claw hammer. Add a ball peen hammer or two plus the other stuff mentioned in the above posts. Also extra oil, ATF, power steering fluid etc.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I carry a pass -thru socket set ,a wrench set,6 in screwdriver and a hub socket. And of course Duct tape,zip ties and bailing wire. All in a metal Makita sawsall box mounted to the drivers side inner fender.

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
I've got 2 permanently mounted ammo boxes. 1 is for fluids and rags and the other is for misc. tools, flat repair, tow strap, belts, flashlight is all I can thing of just now. Tools to be able to change tires and tighten up bolts, wheel bearing socket.

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
I carry a pass -thru socket set.

This! I love those things, like having deep wall, ratchet wrenches and normal sockets all in one.

I always carry a couple vice grips with me in my kit. socket extensions and adaptors. crescent wrench. And a BFH (A Big F'ing Hammer)

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Here's a pic of the set up.A good use of space. Larger tools are in floor mounted box behind flip n fold.

Attachments

• 20151207_094056.jpg
    20151207_094056.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 180
  • 20151207_094208.jpg
    20151207_094208.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 179

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
More that I ever should have to... complete front and rear d/s set, 5 gal gas can, but I use 2 fenderwell tool boxes and do not use a tailgate. My 35" spare fits just between them, and I can still use the OEM rear seat to hold my cooler.

I paint the tools in my loaner bag "road worker neon green" so I can ID them easily.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Basics on the trail, and everything else in your tow rig, or on the trailer :)

knack

Contributor
Leave the cheapo tools at home. Stick with the professional quality stuff for your trail kit. Free replacement at Menard's doesn't mean much when your broke down on the trail and can't drive to the store.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I carry 3 bags. One every day tools to fix anything. This go's with me where ever I go no matter what car I drive. Sockets wrenches all the basic stuff. Then the Bronco specific bag. Hub wrench, filter wrench, special bent wrenches or specific sockets that only fit in one place. The small wrenches for the drive shafts, pickle forks and BFH or 2 and a digital meter. Then the spare parts bag with Bronco specific parts. Ignition spares. u-joints, spare wire and connectors. Complete set of hoses and belts and a hand full of nuts, bolts, wire ties and hose clamps and spare filters.
In 38 years of carrying this stuff I have rarely used it for my self. Members of the group I travel with pretty much at some time or another have partaken of my generosity and access of tools or parts so no one gets left behind.

I was brought up in the days of old rigs way past their prime going out and having fun relying on each other to get through. Things are changing now with credit card 4 wheeers who run light with no extras and rely on AAA tow to get them home. When their new rigs break down they don't even carry a jacket and have to borrow that.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Bags and tool rolls are the key to no noise. There's an old thread on Expedition Portal about this topic, might be worth looking up.

In the dune buggy weight was a much more serious issue than in the EB. I started with an empty tool kit in it, then added each tool that I needed for regular wrenching on it. Always worked on it with the tools on-board, never from the garage tool box. Whatever tool I needed & didn't have got added.

The only tool that I added without needing was safety wire pliers & safety wire. These days I'd also add the clamp-tite.net tool too.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Knaack and RustyTruck is right... I don't understand guys that don't take enough tools or leave them behind... maybe their idea of wheeling is an hour long trail-I really don't know. I guess you could walk back to get what you need if it's only a mile or something.

Quite often we go for a week at a time... and the nearest parts store is literally a hundred miles away...

New stuff breaks so it doesn't matter how total the total restoration was as we've all seen 3/4" bolts shear off on the trail... stuff happens, new drivelines twist in half, etc...

Just saying, remember the Boy Scouts... "Be Prepared".

Have fun, go wheeling...

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I carry 3 bags. One every day tools to fix anything. This go's with me where ever I go no matter what car I drive. Sockets wrenches all the basic stuff. Then the Bronco specific bag. Hub wrench, filter wrench, special bent wrenches or specific sockets that only fit in one place. The small wrenches for the drive shafts, pickle forks and BFH or 2 and a digital meter. Then the spare parts bag with Bronco specific parts. Ignition spares. u-joints, spare wire and connectors. Complete set of hoses and belts and a hand full of nuts, bolts, wire ties and hose clamps and spare filters.
In 38 years of carrying this stuff I have rarely used it for my self. Members of the group I travel with pretty much at some time or another have partaken of my generosity and access of tools or parts so no one gets left behind.

I was brought up in the days of old rigs way past their prime going out and having fun relying on each other to get through. Things are changing now with credit card 4 wheeers who run light with no extras and rely on AAA tow to get them home. When their new rigs break down they don't even carry a jacket and have to borrow that.

You can see that on the road too.
They don't carry a spare tire or a jack, just call AAA if they get a flat.

OP
OP
Biohazard

Biohazard

Loc.
Central Arkansas
I like to be ready if anything goes wrong. In my daily I carry basic tools always, like a complete socket set in a case, but I have a bed mounted toolbox too. Also a cordless impact to make tire changes and such a breeze. Not quite as much room in the bronco though, and I hope to keep things as light as possible. Tools add up in weight, so I am trying to balance necessity with indulgence. Spare parts are a must. I've been looking at under seat toolboxes but they tend to get pricey so building one is gonna be my best option. I've also looked at Gordon Bailey's tailgate tire mount. That thing is pretty cool. So many options, I just want to be as prepared as possible without being so loaded down it causes issues on the more technical trails. I'm also looking into building a pop up tent folding trailer for the longer journeys, so tool and part storage could be figured in there too.