• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New chassis from Tom's Offroad (TBP)

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Saw that as well....takes alot of the guess work out I guess?

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What are your thoughts on the cost?

You still have to source a a donor for the title, so THAT cost has to be calculated in addition to the 45k......unless you're going to just replace your current chassis and sell off the parts. There are now multiple companies out there that sell rolling chassis', and it just makes me wonder how to determine if/when something like this would be viable.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What are your thoughts on the cost?

You still have to source a a donor for the title, so THAT cost has to be calculated in addition to the 45k......unless you're going to just replace your current chassis and sell off the parts. There are now multiple companies out there that sell rolling chassis', and it just makes me wonder how to determine if/when something like this would be viable.
Looks like you can send your frame to them.

Ether

Contributor
Loc.
Tulsa
Wild. Wonder what the parts cost is? I've always thought some of the best deals are the "stalled" projects with the chassis completed or close.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Wow that’s pricey. I just had a rolling chassis quotes for an f100 at 18500. No trans but it included wilwood brakes, fabricated upper lower front a-arms, currie 9” with nodular case and gear set and rear 4 link with coil overs all around. I can hardly build my frame for that. Problem is it’s 46 weeks out

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Wow that’s pricey. I just had a rolling chassis quotes for an f100 at 18500. No trans but it included wilwood brakes, fabricated upper lower front a-arms, currie 9” with nodular case and gear set and rear 4 link with coil overs all around. I can hardly build my frame for that. Problem is it’s 46 weeks out

prices these days bud.. we have to suffer and get 2nd, 3rd jobs to afford our old classics lol

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You may be right. I don't know and just assumed since Kurt was selling complete chassis still that it was him. If still using the Viva name then you are probably right but I guess Toms or Kurt could answer that. I never learn about assuming things!

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
You may be right. I don't know and just assumed since Kurt was selling complete chassis still that it was him. If still using the Viva name then you are probably right but I guess Toms or Kurt could answer that. I never learn about assuming things!
Kurt must not have had a non-compete with the new owner because he's already building stuff again :).

Todd Z.

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Wow, pricey but seems like it will help a lot of people out that just want to bolt a new body to a frame without doing any of their own labor. I certainly couldn't justify buying something like that but Im guessing a good amount of people will. I for one would want some of the factory welds and new welds to be cleaned up and or nicer if I was spending that kind of money. The frame in the photos look like an original frame, Im curious what the Throttle Down Kustoms frame looks like.

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
Nice to have an option for those who don't want to do this part of the work, or need something quickly. Subjectively, this is the easiest part of a restoration as most pieces are bolt on, other than welding the front shock hoops. For me, it's the most fun part as well - it's mechanical. :)

My constructive criticism:
1. If using stock frame, grind the old weld splatter and sand the frame smooth. Visible weld splatter and orange peal paint makes it look like paint was applied over a rusty frame.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice to have an option for those who don't want to do this part of the work, or need something quickly. Subjectively, this is the easiest part of a restoration as most pieces are bolt on, other than welding the front shock hoops. For me, it's the most fun part as well - it's mechanical. :)

My constructive criticism:
1. If using stock frame, grind the old weld splatter and sand the frame smooth. Visible weld splatter and orange peal paint makes it look like paint was applied over a rusty frame.
I regret not doing that on my frame, ford was not good at welding in 1977