• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Idea 4 Hard Top Storage...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Nyles gave me a good idea... Found at Wally World, about $10 a pop.

" Rope Ratchet " Found a site for it as well,

http://www.roperatchet.com/

Looks like it might be a good set up for hangin that hard top in the garage. 4 eye bolts, hang your rope ratchet, hook her up & raise.. Only slight issue is release lever, depending on how high your ceiling is...

Attachments

• 3496.jpg
    3496.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 3497.jpg
    3497.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 53

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Those look a little light duty for a HT. What are they rated for? I think the tops weigh in at about 250#. I used a steel cable Lange Original hoist and it was stressed, then secured it with 4 ratchet straps.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
That aorta do it, then. How are the lowering mechanisms? Those tops can come down fast!!

OP
OP
sprdv1

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
That aorta do it, then. How are the lowering mechanisms? Those tops can come down fast!!

You'd have to hold rope while pushing up the release lever... That'd be the only issue I'd see in lowering the top.. I agree about it coming down fast if you're not careful...

Raising the top no issue at all because it locks as you pull it up...

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
heh, shoulda read these forums first.

I just built a hoisting mechanism with what is probably those exact same rope ratchets. Rated 250lbs apiece.

Used 2 2x4s bolted into the same holes that secure the top to the body, one in front and one in back. The back portion definitely has all the weight.

I was able to pull up the front just by pulling on the rope, but the rear ratchets I had to wind rope around a short piece of 2x4 and use that as a handle. About halfway up, I realized I could lift the top with one hand while pulling on the rope with the other - doh.

I'm a little concerned about the ratchets failing, so I ran a couple pieces of chain from the ceiling eyebolts to the rear 2x4 eyebolts as a safety measure.

Getting the beast down by myself will be a bit of a challenge, you have to press a little lever to release the ratchet and my ratchets are currently attached to the ceiling. I tried putting the ratches on the support 2x4 but found it difficult to get the right leverage.

In retrospect, I think you could put the ratchets on the 2x4 with the hook on the ceiling hooks and use the lift top, take up slack in the ratchet method. I'm thinking when I take it down I'll have a helper catch the falling weight while I release ratchets.

All in all, it's an ok solution for under $50. I think I'm going to improve upon it by building a better 2x4 frame (3 2x4s across), using a hand cranked wrench, and using steel cables to attach the ceiling eyebolts to the 2x4s. I'm thinking to have a short cable on either side that goes between the 2 rear 2x4 supports, running vertically to pulleys mounted so that the vertical cables run outward to the pully then back into a center pulley, route that across the ceiling and down the wall to the hand crank winch.

That should hold all of the weight and then you can just use these rope ratchets to cinch up the front and aid in positioning. The advantage with this system is it's still cheap (probably under $100), you have 4 eyebolts (vs 2) holding the bulk of the weight, and with the hand crank winch you can move the thing up and down yourself without too much trouble.

If I get around to this system I'll post pics and materials list.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
DuctTape look slike spurdy got a new and improved version of the straps?

You just turn the knob to release spurdy? Mine have a lil lever on the inside can be a pian. Or am I missing something I cant see?

1/2 cabs are great! easy one man operation!

flousberg

I just use a motorcycle strap with a cam. One 2X4 up front, one in the rear, 4 eybolts. Lift a corner with your one hand and tighten the strap with the other. Get it to the top and put on chains for safety, since it is above my Superduty. Really easy, one person job, have removed and installed top abou 7 times by my self in 3 different garages.

Louie

Bronco Guru
Good user name DuctTape! Welcome.

My top will be hanging from the ceiling again soon (maybe tomorrow) from cinch straps, 2x4s & eyebolts.

OP
OP
sprdv1

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
heh, shoulda read these forums first.

I just built a hoisting mechanism with what is probably those exact same rope ratchets. Rated 250lbs apiece.

I was able to pull up the front just by pulling on the rope, but the rear ratchets I had to wind rope around a short piece of 2x4 and use that as a handle. About halfway up, I realized I could lift the top with one hand while pulling on the rope with the other - doh.

Good deal man.... Thanks for posting up....

OP
OP
sprdv1

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Finally implemented the rope ratchet plan... ;)

Attachments

• Topless.jpg
    Topless.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 67