• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No idea what I'm doing.. but excited!

lindsaywyn

Hola! I have carried around my first car, a '71 Bronco, since I was 17. I've had help here and there on little things to keep it mostly running but recently decided that I'm going to really dig in and restore it. I've done a lot of research and honestly feeling a bit overwhelmed. Any suggestions on the best place to start? Maybe top 5 things to go after first? A little background, it's all over the road so I purchased the steering tie rods and new bushings (have yet to install), it has new drum brakes and fuel lines and I've purchased a power steering unit (yet to install). Please forgive me if I sounds very new... I am! lol

billh1289

Contributor
Loc.
Jackson, NJ
Welcome. Get it safe and mechanically sound first then worry about everything else. Add specs to your signature when you can. It’ll help others help you as you go.

OP
OP
lindsaywyn

lindsaywyn

Welcome. Get it safe and mechanically sound first then worry about everything else. Add specs to your signature when you can. It’ll help others help you as you go.
what kind of specs? i'll get them added! thanks!

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What has been said,
it’s ok to be ugly for awhile, brakes, starting, running and turning.
tackle one at a time

billh1289

Contributor
Loc.
Jackson, NJ
what kind of specs? i'll get them added! thanks!
Take a look at mine (and others). It’s a basic description of what is in your eb and what improvements have been made (if any). You can add whatever you think is worth mentioning. If viewing from your phone you probably have to turn it sideways to see it…

BRONCOchild2.0

Loc.
SoCal
If you want to still drive it as your are restoring it, then I would suggest getting engine, trans, brakes taking care of first. At least that way, once that's squared away, you can still drive it as you restore it. Then, I would do body, interior and sound system.

OP
OP
lindsaywyn

lindsaywyn

Thanks for the advice! any suggestions on the best way to clean under it? it's just thick with dirt, rust and years of grease/oil.

romegadave

Glad to have you with us!! Lots of great advice when you run into problems. And there will be---I've got to change out my front wheel cylinders so luckily not going to be bad. This site is great and I know you'll learn lots here--I have

OP
OP
lindsaywyn

lindsaywyn

Glad to have you with us!! Lots of great advice when you run into problems. And there will be---I've got to change out my front wheel cylinders so luckily not going to be bad. This site is great and I know you'll learn lots here--I have
it's already been helpful! thanks for the welcome!

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
How do i know if i need to replace my springs or my trac bar?
That's a tough question to answer without knowing what modifcations have been done in the past. Your specs say you have a "stock lift" and I am wondering what that means. Here's a quick read from the Wild Horses site to start with.
Question... Have you ever experienced the dreaded "Death Wobble"? If so, you defintely need to focus on the front suspension/refurbishment.

And OBTW... We love pictures which help us with offering any advice. Please become a Contributor so you can easily post pictures for us.

OP
OP
lindsaywyn

lindsaywyn

How do I become a contributor? Thank you! I’d be happy to share pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
There is a sticky thread at the top of this page that tells you how to do this... $12/year and we all appreciate your support to this great site.

Contributor.PNG

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
A quick and easy track at test. Put someone in the drivers seat while you lay on the ground so you can watch the axle and track bar. Have them slowly turn the wheel left and right. If the bar or bushings are bad you will see the axle move slightly. Worn track bar bushings are common.