• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No idea what I'm doing.. but excited!

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
How do i know if i need to replace my springs or my trac bar?

Hello and welcome. All good advice above, especially tackling one thing at a time as your confidence grows. You mentioned new steering tie rods. Did you purchase new tie rods and drag link as a kit (like the kit from Wild Horses)? If so, that is good as you can mark that off your list. Since you are at a stock lift, your original trac bar should be good. The bushing kit you mentioned should have the track bar bushings. As long as the new bushings fit in nice and tight you are good to go on that.

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Tie_Rod_Drag_Link_3way_Adjustable_6675yr/66-75_TIE_RODS

Same with your springs. They could be sagging due to age, but I wouldn't worry about that unless you want to lift the Bronco up a little bit. Take care of replacing the steering components first.

In your new bushing kit, you will have what is referred to as C Bushings. They can be tricky to install, so take a look at this video. I wish I had a video to watch when I did my first set of C bushings!!

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Oh, and you asked for top 5. You are off to a great start!

1 - Brakes (you have all new drum brakes so mark that complete)
2 - Fuel Delivery (complete - new fuel lines. I'm going to assume the tank was checked for cleanliness when this was done.)
3 - Steering (install your new tie rods and bushings)
4 - Power Steering (not required, but a very nice upgrade. You should be able to find good videos on tips for this)
5 - Engine / lights - Ensure all your lights are in working order. With new fuel lines, I'm assuming the engine runs. Maybe a good once over and tune up if your spark plugs and plug wires are of unknown age.

After that, continue cleaning up the underside and look for things that need attention like wiring, shocks, etc.

Good luck and have fun!

sk1nw4lk3r

Ignore everyone else's responses and just listen to me here:

Go buy the most expensive Cans of Brittany Blue or Boxwood Green Paint, and order a brand new Ford Coyote 5.0 crate engine and 10 speed automatic transmission.

Then get a diamond pattern interior upholstery done on it. Don't touch anything else safety related, or moderate upgrades. Just paint it one of those two colors and put a coyote in, and, according to the internet, that is enough for it to be worth $150,000.

Kidding, of course. Welcome and good luck