• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Build for Moab 2009 Extended Mix, Labor Day?

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
I've been collecting parts for a while and now it's time to them all put together.

Basic build will be an EB body, stretched wheelbase around 101/2", 408 stroker, built AOD, 4 speed Atlas, D60s front and rear, etc... As I accomplish things, I'll post them into this thread.

For the time being, a couple teaser pics and specs. First is a pic of the "Man Cave" looking in, second is the frame sitting above the mock up axles as I'm painting it.

ManCave1.jpg

Frame1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
coolio man!

In laws are gone, left the EB here so Ill be calling you tomorrow, just got back from hunting today.

Saweeeet. I may have to make a trip out there and get some stuff done.

Any luck?
Joe

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Joe,
Your frame is upside down!...... Is that your starting point?

Nice to hear from you again....

madgyver

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Right on Joe. Gonna have it ready for Moab?
Absolutely, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

It is upside-down, I was painting the bottom side so it's all pretty. I got it turned back over today and some more painting done, I'll post progress pics tomorrow.
Joe

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Awesome... Plenty of room in the man cave too. ;)

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Got more stuff done the last couple of days. Finished painting it, got it turned over and on the rear springs, engine and transmission assembled and put in, mock up of all the engine parts, etc..., I'm still waiting for the right intake gaskets and all the new engine bolts.

Engine is a 408 stroker built on a '95 block, custom ground cam shaft, AFR aluminum heads, topped with a GT-40 lower intake and Explorer upper.

Transmission is a built AOD, HD gearset, big block servos, low gears, some other stuff I don't remember...

Rear springs are custom from Alcan Spring. 6" longer than stock, with the centering pin set back 3" vs. stock and designed for 4" of lift. This way, the front spring hanger stays in place, I moved the back hanger back 6", and the longer spring will flex more and should provide a better ride.

Steering box is a stock Scout II box, rebuilt and ported for ram assist. This is moved back on the frame (pitman arm faces forward) so it will clear with the front axle going forward, yet still be protected.
Joe

EngTrny1.jpg

Strng1.jpg

Dan76

Looks like a great start, that 4spd atlas will be crazy! What will your final crawl ratio be?

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Ratios1.jpg

Pretty good, considering this is an auto with a pretty good T/C, so I should see up to 2.5x that with the torque multiplication added in.
Joe

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Been a while since I got to work on the Bronco, I was traveling out of state, but am finally back home and getting some stuff done.

I'm just about finished with the engine, oil pump, injectors, intake, all the accy on the front, etc... are done. Also have the FRPP A50 wiring harness on it and mocked out.
EngDone1.jpg

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Picked up the body tub for it and am starting to clean it up a bit. I've already trimmed the drivers side rocker panel and am mocking up the 2" x 6" rectube that I'll weld in.

BodyFront1.jpg

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
The driver and passenger floorboards are going to need some work.
DrvrFloor1.jpg

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Since I moved the rear axle back 3" I'm going to extend the wheel tubs. Here's a mock-up of it. What do you think? I'm tossed up between keeping the stock look and just putting a clean piece in there.
PassWheelTub3.jpg

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
I also like the stock look, so I decided to go that route.

All cut apart:
PassWheelTub5.jpg

And back together:
PassWheelTub4.jpg

Obviously, I still have some work to do filling the empty space there.
Joe

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Hey Joe, that neighborhood looks familiar. ;D I like the build. What ever happened to the narrowed rig you were working on last time I was at your place?