• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

headlight relay

purkey

So I installed the headlight relay last February after I bought my 73 Bronco and the lights went out (the same day I bought it). Fast forward a year and the headlights went out again. I bought new dimmers and tried a couple with the same result, no headlights. We started troubleshooting voltages (all good) so as a last resort we swapped out a buddy's relays into mine and they came on, so I have bad relays.

This is the relay system I bought (http://shop.broncograveyard.com/196...avy-Duty-Headlight-Harness/productinfo/14831/).

The relays are Shori S11-1A-C1-12VDC, an internet search says they are from Taiwan but no one carries them (there are some old ebay hits but I could not find a current seller); one poster said to use YKS instead of Shori but that led to the same result. I found a poster on the Ford Powerstroke forum that says a BWD R4136 is equivalent but wanted to see if anyone here has had to change this particular relay, and if so, where did they get them.
Thanks,

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey purkey. Have you called them yet where you bought the stuff to see if they carry spares or will warranty your existing ones? I know it's been awhile, but it sounds like they gave you trouble right from the get go.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but they look like the same ones we carry. Generally very reliable, but not something you can easily replace with another type. As you found out.
If that BW number is a good one, that's great to know. Sounds like BUCKWILD is using them successfully, so seems legit. Sounds like a good thing.

But I would still call Jeff's to see what they say.
Are both going out, or do you have high-beams when you click the switch?

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
P

purkey

I have a couple of the BWD coming this week. I called Jeff's and they gave me a distributor name and phone number so I called; they said they don't carry but gave me a number to Digikey who they showed carried it. They don't. Back to square one. I'll report back on the BWD experience and let y'all know.

Both lights go out either on low beams or high beams. When we swapped relays, I had full functionality back.

Bad wording on my part, the lights went out so I put the harness on last year. Haven't had issues with it til about a week ago.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

purkey

So I called Jeff's back to see if they had any other leads for the relays and was basically blown off. Looks like they are off the list for potential purchases.

Are these relays so bullet proof that no one has to replace them?

broncobilly72

when i upgraded my lights a few years ago, I bought all my relays, fuse block and wiring from my local auto store. haven't had any problems . i think that some where on this site there was a post about that upgrade for a cheap DIY job. If you want I can check my EB book that I keep about any upgrades.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Might be worthwhile to make new ends that use standard 1/4" fast on terminals for relays. Then you can use whatever parts store relays you want. You can also add in diodes for the coils so you don't damage more relays with voltage spikes when you turn off the lights.

I use the same cheap relays you currently have, but added those diodes. Bought the harness off Amazon for cheap. I also have spare relays that I can wire in that have the more standard connectors if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawndart

Loc.
I installed a similar kit from LMC. One relay is for low beam, the other for high. Figured if the low goes tango uniform, I can always swap the harness to utilize the other relay in a pinch.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey purkey, sorry you're running into this problem. If you get the chance give us a call at WH and someone will look to see if we have some spares we can sell you. I don't want to say we'd give you a set since you didn't purchase your harness from us, but I'm sure we can make a fair deal on the replacements if we have them.

Sorry I didn't see this today when I was in the office or I would have checked it myself and got back to you earlier.
So if you're still having trouble finding them, give us a call. I'll e-mail the guys to give them a heads-up that you might call and what you need.
Just in case...

Paul

OP
OP
P

purkey

Thanks for the offer, another couple of folks confirmed the bwd 4136 relays are direct replacements. I have some coming in this week.