• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headlight Pattern Issues

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
So after getting an H4 conversion kit for Christmas (this is a link so we all know what I'm working with) and getting it installed before the new year; I finally got outside tonight to dial in the pattern [read: finally above freezing temps %)]

I'm stumped as I've got a drivers that seems to be far brighter and more spread pattern than my passenger side. [see photos below] The first shot is both on at 25' from my garage door. Second is the passenger alone (I stood in front of the drivers bulb). Third is the drivers alone.

What did I do wrong? I did have an issue with the ground on the passenger side during install as I'm reusing the stock ground location [I removed the bolt and wires, used a small wire brush to clean off the ground metal and all the wire ends before reinstallation], but it didn't tighten down as well as I'd like. Could I just need to create a better/new ground location for the wires [probably just use a self tapping screw]?

Or did I just do something else wrong? Everything here is new and both sides were installed at the same time. Could there be an issue with the relay?

I'm stumped here.

Attachments

• IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0275.jpg
    IMG_0275.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 42

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Interesting...will be watching this as I bought the exact same set as a belated Xmas gift to myself. However, we really won't be above freezing for 'good' until March at the earliest, so, mine are staying in the shop 'till then.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I doubt you did anything wrong, I would say its in the headlight housing itself, not sure what housings Toms uses but I would guess they are Chinese knockoffs. Have you tried swapping bulbs, if that doesn't do anything try swapping the housings and yes make sure the GRND is good. The best H4 housings I have used are the Hella E-codes and the PIAA's. Wild Horses use to sale the PIAA's, I think, but I just looked and couldn't find them now

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Have you tried swapping bulbs

Nope.

if that doesn't do anything try swapping the housings

So the thought here is that the lenses aren't angled the same internally? That the focal point of the lens is wrong with a few of the reflectors?

Really just trying to see if there's a simple, forehead smacking moment solution that people here know about. And yes, I've reached out to the manufacturer as well to see what they're response is about this issue. Because if it is an equipment issue, not an install/usage issue, I'd rather not spend an unnecessary amount of my time trying to fix something that I can't ACTUALLY fix.

But thanks for the thoughts.

toddsrods

I've seen issues like that if the bulbs weren't seated in the housing properly. they will reflect the light improperly and give a funky pattern.

I'd check the easy stuff first.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The beam patterns are all about the relationship between the lenses, the reflectors and the bulbs. The amount of light, or brightness can also be, but can also be a ground issue or something with the harness.
I would suspect the ground more than the harness. To test this theory is easy though. Simply run temporary ground wires to BOTH H4 ground wires straight from the battery. If the light changes, you need to create better grounds.
You can't rely on the 40 year old sheet metal and it's connection to the rest of the body any longer. It happens...
Although I admit I don't see a huge difference in brightness. Looks more like a beam pattern issue effecting the perceived brightness.

As suggested by the others, a quick way to determine much of this is to swap things from side to side. You can start with either the light bulbs or the housings, or both. But those tests should tell you a lot.

It might be a bulb not seated the same, or it might be a manufacturing defect that won't let the bulbs go where they need to.
I've got two sets of Hella E-code lights that are night-and-day different from each other. One has the beautiful wide and flat and bright beam pattern they're known for, and the others just put a blob of light somewhere in the middle that is quite frankly unusable on a vehicle. You can barely tell that they're on sometimes, much less use them to actually drive.
The other set however (the older of the two) lays down some serious light for old tired H4's. I think they're losing some efficiency (I hope it's not just my eyes!) from the reflector dulling a bit, but they're still way better than the new set.
I e-mailed Hella customer service about a month ago and have not had time to follow up. Would be nice to hear from them, but guess they're probably too busy selling OE stuff.

Anyway, long-winded and rambling way to say that yes, you're right. Something ain't right with yours!;)

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
I've seen issues like that if the bulbs weren't seated in the housing properly. they will reflect the light improperly and give a funky pattern.

I'd check the easy stuff first.

This is a good thought.
Now I need to go back and remind my self the proper way to install/remove/seat the bulbs.

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
I would suspect the ground more than the harness. To test this theory is easy though. Simply run temporary ground wires to BOTH H4 ground wires straight from the battery. If the light changes, you need to create better grounds.

Yup. Gonna do this tonight too.

Hoping it's one of (or both) the weak ground and bulb positioning.

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
First night of testing in the books:

Removed and reinstalled both bulbs to dead center. Looks like the 'better' one on my drivers was a little crooked so the pattern now matches that of the passenger.

Re-aimed the beams.

Checked the ground as it was, then with the new ground direct to battery (both with engine ON and OFF). There was no discernible change between the two grounds under either load.

In the end, the passenger is still visibly weaker than the drivers. I know it's hard to convey in the pictures, but I didn't want to pull out the light meter and get a lumens reading. Just trust me.

So now I guess the next test is to flip the bulbs/housings from side to side and retest to see if the results are wiring dependent or if they are hardware dependent.

Or should I just be satisfied with the results (still way better than my previous stock stuff) as fighting for perfection without replacing everything up and downstream is a losing battle?

See the nights efforts below:

Attachments

• IMG_0280.jpg
    IMG_0280.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0281.jpg
    IMG_0281.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 21

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have you measured voltage into pass side across contacts on the bulb? You may have a voltage drop going to that side.

Hank

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Have you measured voltage into pass side across contacts on the bulb? You may have a voltage drop going to that side.

Hank

Where would that drop occur?
Each circuit/relay is powered directly from the battery post.
Unless there's an issue inside the relay, there shouldn't be a drop across the system.

I'm also still waiting for a response to my messages directly from the seller.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Where would that drop occur?
Each circuit/relay is powered directly from the battery post.
Unless there's an issue inside the relay, there shouldn't be a drop across the system.

I'm also still waiting for a response to my messages directly from the seller.

you might have a poor connection inside that circuit? Have you swapped bulbs? a poor connection inside the bulb could cause a voltage drop as well.

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
Make sure to look at the reflectors inside the housings. I had the same lights only from Wildhorses.

I don't know if they can't handle the heat or what, but the passenger side got a hazy film inside the light, like yours, mine looked dull. The driver side wasn't far behind.

Ended up with Cibie H4 housing and never looked back.

These $100 lessons do add up through life.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Or should I just be satisfied with the results (still way better than my previous stock stuff) as fighting for perfection without replacing everything up and downstream is a losing battle?

No! Don't be satisfied until you're, well, satisfied.;D
If it's better than original, then that's fantastic and a good result. But there is still something wrong with two lamps being inconsistent in their pattern.

And the voltage loss can still be due to what you have there. Just as was said.
It's not just old, or too-long wiring that can do it. A poorly connected wire, a poorly functioning wire, a poor contact inside a relay, all can have their effect.
Yes, it's hard to tell the difference from out end, but if you say one is dimmer than the other, then I would definitely continue the testing and see what you find.

Good luck!

Paul