• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Installing BC Pre Bent Fuel Line

BroncoDon

Loc.
Laguna Hills, CA
I really hate to post when I'm in a frustrated state but I'm at the point of breaking something, so I thought I'd ask for some tips first...I bought the efi pre bent fuel lines from BCB and I've tried every which way but loose to get the front line to sit on top of the frame in the front and then go over the first cross member and along the frame.

Anyone that has installed this before if you have any tips I would love to hear them. Now I need to take a break, have a beer and watch some of the Packer/Seahawk game.

mattt

Bronco Guru
Paying attention here as I have the fuel line kit but haven't yet installed it.

OP
OP
B

BroncoDon

Loc.
Laguna Hills, CA
I can't believe I'm still fighting these front fuel lines :mad: I've tried to fish them through the engine bay down the frame and that isn't working, I've tried running them from under the the vehicle back towards the engine and that's not woking either. The big obsticle is the cross member bracket that is welded to the frame that I'm having problems with. It might be easier if I had a helper but I'm working alone on it. I really hate to start bending these since they are "pre bent"...

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bump , I'm watching this one to , efi going on real soon. Was going to buy this kit. Can't believe no one has answered yet , good or bad or otherwise.

OP
OP
B

BroncoDon

Loc.
Laguna Hills, CA
I finally got the lines installed. I had a buddy come over and give me a hand.
Here's how I did it.
On the top of the frame in the engine area there is a bracket that holds some brake lines, I removed the bolts (2) (7/16) and moved the unit out of the way and that allowed me to place the fuel lines on the fender well side of the frame (not the header side), then there was a brake line attached to the side of the frame that had to be moved. I have dual exhaust so the driver side had to be unbolted from the frame and moved out of the way of the frame rail. Then with me under the Bronco and my buddy at the front he fished the line down to me. The E-Brake cable was in the way so I held that out of the way and worked the end of the line past the cross member braket. Yes I did have to bend and fight the line a little bit but not enough to kink it.

Then I added the 8" piece of line to the first one. Then the second part of the line to the other end of the 8" line. The line ends just before the rear cross member. I then secured the line with the new clamps that came in the deluxe kit starting somewhere in the middle and bent the lines down to make the other clamps line up with the factory holes.

Bottom line is I have about 3-4 hours (and a 30 pack) total into install the pre bent fuel lines. Having another set of hand was a must for me to finsih this.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Sorry you had so much trouble with our lines. We have sold quit a few sets of these lines and had not had this kind of feedback yet. That doesn't mean they didn't have the same problems, just that they didn't complain. Glad you did, we need to know. Earlier today I saw the new instructions for installing the lines, I will look them over tomorrow to be sure they cover your issues. we have installed about 8 sets on diff. EB's without and problems but we designed them so know how they should be but that only means that it can be done if you know how. Look in our tech library in the next few days and they will be there.

OP
OP
B

BroncoDon

Loc.
Laguna Hills, CA
Now that I have completed this I would guess that if I had to do it agian tomorrow I could probably do the install in about 1-1 1/2 hours complete. :D

Now I get to try to install the efi harness :eek:

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
I have the 351 set as my inlets into the fuel rail our on the back of my 302 motor - I am having a hell of a time figuring out how to get the front lines to fit - like above, they don't seem to want to go under the crossmember - I guess I need to wait for two guys - but man - they don't even seem close!! The rear ones by the tank went in no problem just as the directions indicated.....I know BC sell good stuff so I imagine I am missing something - I tapped all the holes as instructed - but it does not appear they will mount in those locations without the crossmember being removed permanently!!

Another night........

mattt

Bronco Guru
The front ones are tricky to get in correctly. They do not go below the cross member, they go above/next to it. Here are some pics of how mine fit. I'm not thrilled with how they fit in the slot between the crossmember bracket and the frame so I haven't permanently installed them yet. I'm going to try bending them a bit to get them out of the slot when I go for the final install.

I've got my crossmember out right now, so I'll be bending and trial fitting in the very near future.

Make sure yours are long enough to reach the front mount location or you might have to redrill the front mount and not use the factory mount hole.

Attachments

• 0722092237.jpg
    0722092237.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 0722092239.jpg
    0722092239.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 167

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Now that I have completed this I would guess that if I had to do it agian tomorrow I could probably do the install in about 1-1 1/2 hours complete. :D

Now I get to try to install the efi harness :eek:

Good luck Don..! ;) You can do it

oldskool

Loc.
Denver
Fuel Lines

BcBroncos fuel lines are junk. They are designed to be installed near the firewall with the fuel accumulator. I pulled the end fitting off and thew them into a pile of juck and went to AutoZone. I bought fuel line and bent them myself and they fit perfect. The fuel lines clamps are awesome and look great. If I would have known that I could have save a lot of cash.

Good luck with your lines

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
In defense of BCB, everything I have ever bought has been very good quality, Jason/Chuck have always been a call away...I stil plan on buying the efi feul line kit, and Tank

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would also consider these to be alot easier to install frame off, maybe thats the problem? Maybe two part lines? Interested as I may go this route in a few weeks. Ah, whop am I kidding, months.

oldskool

Loc.
Denver
Sorry to bash on BcBronco's. I was just frustrated. Thought it would be a piece of cake to install. Waited a whole week for parts to show up and they didn't fit like I wanted then too. I really like this site and BcBronco's

Sorry!

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
its better that members discuss thier install's -believe me I have had plenty of fitment issues on several projects with my Bronco, and it is very helpful that this thread was started, Chuck responded right away that he will modify(or has) his instructions....this type of thread is great, believe me when I get down to doing the efi swap in a couple of weeks I am sure I will be asking alot of questions and hopefully not pulling out too much hair in the process....not trying to call you out.

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
Well I had the body off and decided to wait to install the front ones until the body was back on as I did not want to crush them!! Over the crossmember?? hmm - I was wondering that - I may have the wrong hole tapped then as the fuel bracket sets to low for them to go over the crossmember.....I am going to mess with it more on Thurs night - I'll follow up and let you know if we get them in or not!!?:?

BC

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
after just spending a few hours under there removing the d20 and tranny, all I can say is unless you have a body lift, routing extra fuel lines over the d20 bracket is extremely tight.

With a lift, doable.

No lift? I recommend you think about another way to route, unless your real sure you will never pull the d20. If you do and those fuel lines are there, you'll have to remove those to get at the bolt holding the d20 bracket.

mattt

Bronco Guru
There is a stock bracket/clamp directly behind the crossmember. BC says to NOT use that one. Somewhere on their tech or product info pages, it has a listing of what stock location mounts to use. It gives you the length back in inches from the front of the frame. The one behind the crossmember is not in there. In my pic, you can see it there without the BC mount. When the lines pass over the crossmember it is VERY tight between the body and the crossmember bracket, however, I think that is how it has to be.

Todoubled

So, did they change the design of the lines? There is no way the lines I received would go "over" the trans crossmember. In fact, just before getting to the crossmember mine drop about 2 inches. They are nice and tight under it, but there is no way mine would fit on top of it.