• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another Stroppe Racer/Trip Report

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just got back from whirlwind trip to Denver yesterday.....for the day. It seems that that area is a hot spot for Broncos in general, and there was a particular truck I wanted to go see, some folks I wanted to meet in person, and some parts I wanted to check out, so I booked a flight. I flew out in the morning, and rented a car, and headed up north of Denver first, to look at a Bronco I'd spied for sale.

Since Todd and I found the Red Racer in Arizona, we've been doing alot of Stroppe racer research. One thing we've been doing is compiling a list of Bronco race trucks. From what we can tell by the huge collection of photos and footage we compiled, Stroppe was using many of the same trucks over and over. So we are getting to know the trucks pretty well, and the unique features each one had. I was searching classified ads at work during a lull a while ago and came across a truck that had quite a few of the details I'd been logging during our Red Racer research. What also caught my eye was that in his ad, he claimed it was raced in the Baja 500 by Bobby Unser.

That might seem like an odd claim, because we know the Unsers were all over the Stock cars at the time, but most of us think Larry Minor, Parnelli, Bill, Rod Hall, Bill Rush, Ray Harvick, when we think Stroppe team racers. However if you have The Boss book by Tom Madigan, there IS mention of a Bronco driven by the Unsers in the 1969 Mint.....and a picture (caption is wrong, but fender says Unser).

After a phone call to confirm some Stroppe details and hear his 26 year ownership story, I decided I'd better go look. Here's what I found: a very trail worthy Bronco with a ton of CO, AZ, CA, NV off-roading history since it's rebuild in 82-86. The owner bought the Bronco as a roller with no cage. He helped the guy he bought it from remove the cage (white sand poured out - more on that later) and the Boss 302 and toploader 4-speed before he hauled it home. He installed his own 289 and C4 (which he later swapped for a 3speed), and did spot body work on it and began using it as an off roader. He even drove it for many years with the whole rear clip in original Stroppe paint scheme with "BrOnCo" logos.

I'm super excited that I was able to find this truck. It sure doesn't look like a Racer anymore and if it travelled much further the way it is, I fear it's history might have been harder to chase. It's certainly lead a different life the past 26 years and now has a 1970 VIN, but much of Stroppe's mods remain: dual spare tire clearance, metal rear flares molded into the body(done on only a couple of Stroppe's racers), pi$$ tube holes, battery box, Competition seat belts with welded anchors and Premier bolts, Rocker exit exhaust holes, air intake guides behind grill, reinforced/fabbed gas pedal, 3 of the original S-W gauges, orange and blue paint under everything, original door inserts, battery cable channels, shortened rear frame rails, rear air bags, reinforced frame rails, Stroppe racer ID tag. Another nice bonus for documentation was the owner's old pictures of the build from 82-96 and the previous owner contact, and a bunch of photos of the truck together with 1/2 Stroppe paintjob.

An interesting note on the Unser's race is that it was actually the 1969 Mint and not the Baja 500. Bill and Parnelli were in 1 Bronco, and Bobby and Al Unser in this one. Day 1 of the race saw at least Parnelli rollover, and rumors of the Unsers flipping. During a medical exam that night, Stroppe was found to have some cracked ribs, and Parnelli was out of a co-driver. Bobby flew home that night to test some stock car tires or something so, Al had no driver. Parnelli hopped into the Unser Bronco with Al and they raced the 2nd day.....rolling again....and finishing 3rd....only to be disqualified because Parnelli wasn't driving his own Bronco.

I have to get back to work...haven't even been home much, so look for some more cool photos maybe tonight. ToddZ....will you post those few photos I sent you this AM? Would appreciate it!

After making a deal with the owner, I headed down to Eric Wenger's place in Elizabeth, CO to see his collection. I wish a place like his existed in California is all I can say.....tons of stock parts perfect to put a stocker back together as well as a shop big enough to build up any trail rig too. I found the core support I needed, but theres lots of rust free stuff left. Got a need for good 44 drum knuckles? I got 2, but there are plenty left!

Lastly, I did see 1 EB on the road out there. It was on 86 going North. A 69 or so, light colored, maybe Springtime Yellow, slight lift, uncut, white family cage, no top. Looked cherry.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
sweet. you know this thread is useless with out pictures!
glad you had a good trip ;)

OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ya, I'll try out the scanner. I went thru security with a 24" piece of 1/2" plywood the guy had glued his pics on...he took it right off the wall and handed it to me...some cool photos on it. Should scan okay and will post today after 6pm Pacific.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Interesting story. Thanks.

Just spent 2 weeks in Colorado and only saw a couple of Broncos. I usually go to Colorado once or twice a year on vacation and have been doing so for the past 20 plus years and i always look for Broncos. Although Colorado is, and always has been, a hot-spot for EBs, I have noticed that I am seeing less and less of them just sitting around in the open. I think a lot these have been sought out and purchased and moved to covered or inside storage. On the other hand I still saw a lot scouts in the open or sitting in fields - probably saw a total of 10 this trip. I think the reason is that they are not being scooped up by enthusiasts or collectors like the Broncos are. Just a theory I have!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
sweet. you know this thread is useless with out pictures!
And here are the pics. Thank God Andrew can pick these things out because I never would've seen a Stroppe race Bronco under all the stuff tacked onto this thing! :)

Todd Z.

Attachments

• UNSERSIDE.jpg
    UNSERSIDE.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 322
  • UNSERFRONT.jpg
    UNSERFRONT.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 241
  • UNSERGRILLBAFF.jpg
    UNSERGRILLBAFF.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 241
  • UNSERBATTCAB.jpg
    UNSERBATTCAB.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 240
  • UNSEREXHAUST.jpg
    UNSEREXHAUST.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 207
  • UNSERTAG.jpg
    UNSERTAG.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 243

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Very interesting report Andrew. Each time I read one from you or Todd, it reminds me of a local buddy's pilgrimage to locate, purchase and restore an original thunderbolt here in the southeast that his Uncle drove in the mid 60's.
Thanks for sharing,
Karl

OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, the hunt is always very exciting, and satisfying no matter how long it takes to find whatever it is you are after. You got a link to the T-bolt search or is it not on the net? PM me about it if you get a chance .....I love those stories.

OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, the owners of the Bronco were blown away that someone had to come from CA to buy it. They thought it would sell alot quicker in their area than anywhere else. It actually drives really nicely, but I can see why many would be turned off by it's appearance, bondo, fit/finish. :)

Interesting story. Thanks.

Just spent 2 weeks in Colorado and only saw a couple of Broncos. I usually go to Colorado once or twice a year on vacation and have been doing so for the past 20 plus years and i always look for Broncos. Although Colorado is, and always has been, a hot-spot for EBs, I have noticed that I am seeing less and less of them just sitting around in the open. I think a lot these have been sought out and purchased and moved to covered or inside storage. On the other hand I still saw a lot scouts in the open or sitting in fields - probably saw a total of 10 this trip. I think the reason is that they are not being scooped up by enthusiasts or collectors like the Broncos are. Just a theory I have!

70rdstr

Loc.
Elizabeth
Andrew, you do seem to have an ability to find the treasures. I had seen the add for the truck, and didn't even look twice! Nice score!

I had a great time, meeting you in person, after 15 years of dealing with you. I am glad you made the extra trip, down to Elizabeth. Next time your here, we can do things up a little better, too.

Don't you think the Viking Pools truck would look better at your house, though?

Thank again,
Eric

OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thank you, Eric. yes, yes, I do think the VP truck would look awesome over here. Heck I could drive that thing everyday. At some point, maybe the 45th Bronco anniversary we should get all the KbarS built trucks together. I think there are a handful floating around and though they've evolved, they all have a family resemblence.

OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So now you need to change your sig to '1.5xStroppe Racer'?

I had a bad dream that Todd and I actually cut the Red Racer in half. I'll change the sig once I get the exhaust re-routed thru the rockers again!!

OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Some vintage photos of the truck shortly after the initial resurrection, circa 83. The one with the couch was a Christmas card photo. I guess this truck was in pieces for 3 years and people started to kid around with the built chassis, etc. I have another shot of his brother with a doubtful look standing next to the body which is on it's side in the garage.
Unserarchive1.jpg

Unserarchive11.jpg

Unserarchive9.jpg

Unserarchive8.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here are a couple shots of it from the Mint race. There is a photo of the truck during day 2 of the Mint that year with PJ driving and the bent rollcage that I'm trying to track down. Note the simple looking cage and Kelsey Hayes wheels...typical of the 67-69 Stroppe trucks.

UnserMint1.jpg

UnserMint2.jpg

Grizzly4x4

Loc.
Where the snow is
That's just crazy. I drove past that Bronco every day that I've lived in Longmont growing up. You just don't forget those doors and top.

Very cool find, makes me wish I'd ever asked if he'd sell it. :cool:

OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Might be a long road, but well worth it. I'll have alot of unbolting and careful paint stripping to do.......wanna come over!?

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
2 Stroppe racer projects Andrew? Man you either have alot of time or are a very ambitious individual;D. I can't wait to get down to Todd's to check out the red racer... They both sound like alot of fun.