• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

new 302 Motor being installed.. flywheel ?

moe d

Loc.
chicago, il
I'm upgrading to a newer 302 V8 that has a 50oz inbalance flywheel. This is a heavier flywheel than what is currently on my 302 with a 3 speen manual.. I plan on keeping the 3 speed, is there any issues with bolting up a 50oz flywheel to my stock 3 speed? i'm likely going to install a new centerforce II clutch and new flywheel. But any insight would be appreciated before i start the engine swap.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I'm upgrading to a newer 302 V8 that has a 50oz inbalance flywheel. This is a heavier flywheel than what is currently on my 302 with a 3 speen manual.. I plan on keeping the 3 speed, is there any issues with bolting up a 50oz flywheel to my stock 3 speed? i'm likely going to install a new centerforce II clutch and new flywheel. But any insight would be appreciated before i start the engine swap.

It's not really heavier. The imbalance is just greater. Just make sure it's the truck flywheel (11" clutch, 164 tooth ring gear) not the Mustang flywheel (10" clutch, 157 tooth ring gear). Everything else is bolt-up, including the clutch you plan to use.

barronj

Bronco Guru
Whoa, Whoa... Help!

I pulled a 74 model 302 out & put a 2000 model 302 in. If I reused the flywheel, what balancer do I need? I put a Mustang balancer on... will it be incorrectly balanced?

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I pulled a 74 model 302 out & put a 2000 model 302 in. If I reused the flywheel, what balancer do I need? I put a Mustang balancer on... will it be incorrectly balanced?

Both the flywheel and the harmonic balancer need to be correct for the engine.

You can't reuse the old flywheel- it's balanced at 28 oz-in. You need the later truck flywheel or you need to find a shop that can re-balance the old one. Usually it's easier to just buy the former. If you don't change that your engine will shake noticeably.

As for the harmonic balancer, if the one you installed is off a late Mustang 5.0, it's fine as is.

barronj

Bronco Guru
Both the flywheel and the harmonic balancer need to be correct for the engine.

You can't reuse the old flywheel- it's balanced at 28 oz-in. You need the later truck flywheel or you need to find a shop that can re-balance the old one. Usually it's easier to just buy the former. If you don't change that your engine will shake noticeably.

As for the harmonic balancer, if the one you installed is off a late Mustang 5.0, it's fine as is.

Is there a way to figure out what flywheel is on there, by looking through the starter area?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You have me at a loss 302's or 5.0's as the 50oz balance engines are refered as were discountinued in 1995 or so. Is your 2000 engine a crate engine? If so it should have come with a flywheel you might have to call whoever you bought the motor from to verify what flywheel it has and what clutch it will take some of the later flywheels will not take the early clutch setups.
The only way to find out exactly what flywheel you have is to remove it and decipher the casting number on the engine side of the flywheel.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
You have me at a loss 302's or 5.0's as the 50oz balance engines are refered as were discountinued in 1995 or so. Is your 2000 engine a crate engine? If so it should have come with a flywheel you might have to call whoever you bought the motor from to verify what flywheel it has and what clutch it will take some of the later flywheels will not take the early clutch setups.
The only way to find out exactly what flywheel you have is to remove it and decipher the casting number on the engine side of the flywheel.

Actually they stuck around in the Explorers (the proverbial Explorer 5.0) until about 2000 or so (or maybe it was 2001, I'm not certain)- the last vehicles to get them. Mine happens to be out of a 1998 model. Same block casting as all the rest of them, same 50 oz-in imbalance, etc, etc.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Oh yeah I forgot about the exploders still having them. I'm getting old. Thanks for the correction.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Oh yeah I forgot about the exploders still having them. I'm getting old. Thanks for the correction.

Not a correction, a reminder :) I'm definitely getting old(er) so the CRS is a fact of life. At this point, I'm grateful for the regular reminders that seem to wash over me like ocean waves...

barronj

Bronco Guru
It's an explorer engine, out of a 2000, but when I got it, it had a flex plate.

I started it last night, for the first time (open headers, long tubes, WOO HOO!)... it seemed to purr (more like a roar, but whatever). I'll dial in the timing & set the idle, then I'll know if it's unbalanced (I would think)

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
It's an explorer engine, out of a 2000, but when I got it, it had a flex plate.

I started it last night, for the first time (open headers, long tubes, WOO HOO!)... it seemed to purr (more like a roar, but whatever). I'll dial in the timing & set the idle, then I'll know if it's unbalanced (I would think)

I can guarantee that if you used your stock '74 flywheel, it's balanced incorrectly. You really don't want to run it that way very long. One of the potential (eventual) hazards is a broken crankshaft.