• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Project grocery getter

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
Plan is to stretch my 73 bronco wagon 16" and turn the hard top into an extended halfcab with opening vent windows.

I love the classic look and character of the bronco, just not the wheelbase or the interior room. So I'm gonna "fix" it.

Here goes:

As it sits, 35's, some sort of rear ad a leaf, 1.25 spacers in the front.

DSC04827.jpg

Stripped
DSC04859.jpg

Marked
DSC04863.jpg

Cut!!
DSC04865.jpg

DSC04866.jpg

OP
OP
P

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
Got the spring hangers relocated and the blocks in the rear.
DSC04877.jpg

DSC04875.jpg

Also got the front 3.5 springs in and the new radius arm bushings in. Not a bad days work!!

Tomorrow I'm taking her to work and welding everything up with the big mig, then it's time to start the sheetmetal.

More pics to follow.

camomog

Loc.
Reno, Nv.
Looks good. I am in the process of a strech myself, but I will be adding 2 doors and streching it around 22" plus moving the rear back a few inches. Going a lot slower than you though. What did you use for your sleaves?

OP
OP
P

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
Looks good. I am in the process of a strech myself, but I will be adding 2 doors and streching it around 22" plus moving the rear back a few inches. Going a lot slower than you though. What did you use for your sleaves?

Tried to just swap the rear section of frame, cut the front further back and the second rear further forward, get the additional inches that way. However, there was to much rust in the other rear. I cut a 15 3/4" piece out of the second frame behind the front spring hanger and the bend in the frame.

Took 4" square and cut it down so it would slot into the frame sections. I'd imaging you could use angle iron as well. It would be better to make the frame cuts angled or stacked but I couldn't get enough frame section.

camomog

Loc.
Reno, Nv.
I will be cutting it on the flat spot in front of the body mount instead of behind like you did. I have some 2X4 tube and 1/8" plate for each side and then have some 3X4 to match up to the frame. I am making a z cut to get more surface area and raising the back half up 2 inches for extra up travel. I will be watching how your progresses.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Wow!!! :eek: All that in one day - impressive!! Subscribed for sure - can't wait to watch this evolve.

OP
OP
P

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
I will be cutting it on the flat spot in front of the body mount instead of behind like you did. I have some 2X4 tube and 1/8" plate for each side and then have some 3X4 to match up to the frame. I am making a z cut to get more surface area and raising the back half up 2 inches for extra up travel. I will be watching how your progresses.

I looked at cutting it there, only problem I found was having to move the body mount. Spring hanger/body mount, either way you have to move something. I would have liked to do a z cut but a vertical cut with a 1/4sleeve is still stronger than the 1/8 thick frame ever was.

rbodine

wow, Good job. I am really interested to see the final outcome, that is gonna be one great looking truck!!

OP
OP
P

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
wow, Good job. I am really interested to see the final outcome, that is gonna be one great looking truck!!

Thx, I hope so!!

Got to get this done asap, setting up a date with a race car chassis builder so he can ad about 6 sticks of 1 5/8 .134 ERW tubing. Going with a internal cab cage w/seat mounts, and a "prerunnerish" bed cage. I also have a center section of a bumper built, 1/4 plate with a winch mount. Prob going to do the sides in tube, and a full tube rear bumper.

Going to mount the spare in the bed, no tailgate, at an angle half in/out of the bed.

Moving the fuel tank up into the bed, right behind the bulkhead, prob 40-45 gallons.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Great job pony!!! I only put 10" in mine, did in th flat frame spot under driver seat. Cut my floor so I could move the body mount back with the frame??

Was gonna do a full top chop but it's thicker in the front than in the rear!!! Going soft top!!!

Keep us posted!!!!;D;D;D

OP
OP
P

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
Set the body back on and it's starting to look like a truck again!

DSC04886.jpg

DSC04887.jpg

Got some sheetmetal in.

DSC04888.jpg

DSC04889.jpg

Def need to swap out the 3" blocks for 2" ones, thing sits like a top fuel car.

OP
OP
P

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
Got the sheetmetal out of a 64 or so ford f100 bed, front and rear of wheelwell. Made a mistake though, in front of the wheel is straight down like the bronco (on pass side) but behind the wheel well has a lower bodyline like the bronco wheel opening. Didn't even notice until I got it home. Oh well, I used the top and cut the lower part off, just need to ad some sheetmetal down there.

More pics tomorrow!

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Looks fantastic! I think its safe to say that you have enough skill to ditch the rear blocks all together and tub out the rear more to fit the tires while maintaining a low stable stance. Just sayin. But great work so far! I cant wait to see how it turns out.

OP
OP
P

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
ditch the rear blocks all together and tub out the rear more to fit the tires while maintaining a low stable stance.

I was thinking about that, I like em low. Prob is in the front. I was running
35's with a front 1.25 block and some sort of rear ad a leaf and the tires would scrub leaving my driveway. I'd have to cut so much in the front that I'd loose the bronco character and it would become a buggy.