• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My '69 Bronco

hannibal61577

Loc.
BOISE
Hey all - I'm Doug and I'm a new member from Boise, ID. I brought home my first early Bronco yesterday, a '69 that I bought from a friend of mine. He has it disassembled quite a bit, but everything is marked, hardware separated in bags and I got a DVD full of reference pics that he took. I'll probably still have plenty of questions when putting it back together, though.

It didn't come with a hard top or front bumper, but I think that most of the rest of it is there. Not sure if the rear bumper is stock or not. Both rocker panels are rusted out, but it came with brand new replacements. Also got two swing away spare tire carriers and a spare drivers door. The bottom of the windshield frame is rusted out, also a rust hole under the hood by the driver's side firewall and the tail gate is pretty shot, too. So, not perfect, but not the worst that I've dealt with either.

Plan for this is to put it back together, replace any rusted out spots and paint. Make sure it's safe and semi-reliable. Nothing spectacular, just want a cool old Bronco to take up in the hills. I want it to look good at 20 feet and 20MPH :D

All I know about it now is it has the 302 with stock 3 speed, someone did a power steering mod and I was told it has front disc brakes, but I haven't verified yet. According to the VIN, the original color was red - I absolutely loathe the color of it now. The odometer shows 19,750 miles

Although this is my first early Bronco (had a 93 Bronco that was a pile of garbage, and I usually love Fords), this is not my first restoration. Several years ago, I restored a '63 CJ3B, yeah, I'm a Jeep guy, too. But I figure that anyone who is into one kind of old iron should be able to appreciate others as well.

I'm looking forward spending time here on the board and I probably won't be able to contribute much for awhile, but I'm sure I'll ask a lot of questions!

Here are some pics of my "new" Bronco:

IMG_3471.jpg

IMG_4003.jpg

IMG_3472.jpg

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome, looks like a good start. I like those rims!

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Welcome to the site! Asking questions don't just help you but all of those who read your threads and have similar questions (me especially ;D ).

Post up a pic of that rear bumper and we'll tell you if its stock.

Power steering and disc brakes are nice upgrades - did you get a D44 up front or did they put discs on the D30?

The rust sounds typical - lots of replacement panels available from the vendors that advertise on this site.

My advice would be to start a build thread and track your progress - we love to see pics and watch these trucks transform into usable vehicles again.

Michael A

Loc.
San Diego
Welcome as well!
WOW, look at the snow! Don't get much here.
I also love the rims. I think they were called either hurricanes or tornadoes. I think they were weather related somethings, anyways.
Michael

cobralee

Loc.
Northwestern OK
welcome aboard, you're at least a couple extra steps ahead of me already....no doors, no tailgate lol. Looks like a good starting ground. Have a blast;D

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
nice start and welcome. these things are addicting.

+1. I started working on the family heirloom and somehow a second Bronco made it's way into the yard as well. %) But I see you already got a backup ride there in the garage. Very nice CJ!

Good luck with your build, ask lots of questions so I'm not the only one incessantly posting for help. ;D

mavereq

Bronco Guru
welcome to the site. i like both of your rigs and i agree about appreciating old iron.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome Doug, nice to have you aboard. Congrats on the new Rig! ;)

johnnybgood74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
boise, idaho
hey there Doug, welcome! nice to see another Boise guy on here. great site and people that are willing to help you out on whatever questions you may have. nice start!

John

OP
OP
hannibal61577

hannibal61577

Loc.
BOISE
Thanks for the welcomes and nice comments fellas. I'm just going to make this my build thread instead of starting another and reposting some of the same info.

I was able to get out there a little on Friday and remove the grille and fenders. Some of the bolts were already removed and other than that, I think I had to cut 3. The grille and driver's fender had to come off in one piece so I could get to two stubborn bolts easier.

I'm thinking on putting POR-15 on the wheel wells and the support panel behind the grille. I used it successfully on my jeep frame and underside of the tub, but since it is such a dry climate here, I could also just spray with rustoleum. I still have some time to decide.

IMG_3481.jpg

IMG_3484.jpg

OP
OP
hannibal61577

hannibal61577

Loc.
BOISE
I picked up a full top for my Bronco. It's not much to look at, but we'll get it into shape when the time comes.
IMG_3501.jpg

Performed the turn signal/ parking lamp mod listed in the tech section of the site:
IMG_3507.jpg

Picked out my paint color:
IMG_3500.jpg

And started hacking away at some rust:
IMG_3503.jpg

IMG_3504.jpg

OP
OP
hannibal61577

hannibal61577

Loc.
BOISE
Been a couple weeks since I updated this, but I've been working away ;D I finally have the rust cut out and replaced from the firewall forward.

IMG_3526.jpg

IMG_3553.jpg

Did some work on the grille. I'd have the lights on, too, but I bought two new headlight adjusters and promptly broke both trying to install them. Awaiting two more :(

IMG_3523.jpg

I removed the rusted out drivers rocker panel. Need to weld in one patch and then install the new rocker panel.

IMG_3556.jpg

OP
OP
hannibal61577

hannibal61577

Loc.
BOISE
Well, I broke a couple more headlight adjusters. :mad: Next time, I'll order 8 or 10 and should be able to get a few of them installed without breaking. They are the most frustrating part of this so far for me.

I got my rocker panel welded in on the drivers side, went pretty quick and easy:
IMG_3557.jpg

And some primer:
IMG_3668.jpg

Took the wire wheel on a drill to the inside of the firewall and floor pans and put on some POR-15 that I had left over from my jeep. It was kind of old, so it was like painting with tar ;)
IMG_3669.jpg

The original door that came on the Bronco has some damage and a lot of bondo. However a spare door came with it. I cleaned that up and primered it. After paint, I will transfer over the hardware and glass.
IMG_3667.jpg

Next up is to finish up with the primer and paint under the dash so I can install the insulation then start bolting things back in. Too much stuff laying all over my garage. ;D