• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My '69 Bronco

OP
OP
hannibal61577

hannibal61577

Loc.
BOISE
Been making some more progress. Bolted the front driver fender and grille on to see how it looked:
IMG_3673.jpg

Getting the firewall ready for insulation. I now have the insulation and a test fit shows that every hole for the clips is off in one direction or another - some more than others. All other holes and cutouts seem to be right on.
IMG_3672.jpg

I guess the bearing was shot in the old water pump.
IMG_3701.jpg

Ordered up another water pump and put it in:
IMG_3703.jpg

Fixed a broken wire in this spaghetti:
IMG_3711.jpg

Got some more stuff bolted in the engine compartment - alternator/ wiring harness, fan, fan shroud, radiator and battery
IMG_3713.jpg

I also got the driver's door painted:
IMG_3671.jpg

OP
OP
hannibal61577

hannibal61577

Loc.
BOISE
Been awhile since I posted an update, did a lot of little things. I got the firewall painted and put in the insulation. Still have to glue in the top piece

IMG_3734.jpg

I rehung my door, but don't have the guts in it yet. I'm going to buy a new set of locks and am waiting on that

IMG_3776.jpg

The threaded holes where the door limiter strap bolts to the kick panel were boogered up so I welded some nuts in there. Should work for awhile. In addition, I did some work on the drivers floor where the seat bolts. Welded some extra holes closed

IMG_3777.jpg

I also tore the drivers seat apart - what a pain that was. Still need to do some work on the frame and sliders. One of these days I need to buy the foam and seat covers.

I was waiting on a spot weld cutter, so I cut out the old passenger side rocker panel

IMG_3770.jpg

Once I got my spot weld cutter, I was able to get the rest of the old one out and pop in the new one

IMG_3783.jpg

And, the rocker panel pretty much done

IMG_3779.jpg

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lookin great so far. Keep the pictures coming.

That's also a nice Willis. Looks like you have another old jeep project also. I'm in the middle of a frame off on a 53 right now myself.

OP
OP
hannibal61577

hannibal61577

Loc.
BOISE
what are you spraying with?

Sorry for the very late reply, but for now, I'm just rattle canning it. Things came out really good for spray paint until I got fancy and tried to put a clear coat on. Then I got some splotches like I'd expect with spray paint. Anyway, the plan is to run it for a couple years then eventually I will take the time to spray it correctly.

Justafordguy said:
That's also a nice Willis. Looks like you have another old jeep project also. I'm in the middle of a frame off on a 53 right now myself.

What kind of jeep are you working on? That spare frame sitting in the background is a '53 - used the tub from it to finish my '63.

OP
OP
hannibal61577

hannibal61577

Loc.
BOISE
I've decided to attempt to repair my windshield frame. It will be a slow progress, but I got some done:

IMG_3793.jpg

IMG_3797.jpg

I sprayed the dash with a heavy duty tractor paint. Color is some sort of International off white:

IMG_3869.jpg

I ordered the JBG fresh air vent repair kit and epoxied that on - I hope correctly:

Before:
IMG_3817.jpg

IMG_3818.jpg

I was finally able to get some headlight adjusters installed without breaking them, so I finally installed my grille:

IMG_3868.jpg

And I finished up my firewall insulation, bolted in the pedals, connected up the clutch and installed the air vent:

IMG_3866.jpg

I'll be working on the passenger fender and door next and getting the dash installed. Also will be ordering the foam and upholstery for the seats, but that will have to be over a couple of paychecks ;)

66ALRIDE

Contributor
Just BIP It!
Loc.
Dothan, AL
Looking good with the rattle can job. Go ahead and spray some flat black on those pedals while you're at it. Glad to see it coming along so quickly.

OP
OP
hannibal61577

hannibal61577

Loc.
BOISE
Looking good with the rattle can job. Go ahead and spray some flat black on those pedals while you're at it. Glad to see it coming along so quickly.

Thanks! Yeah, the rattle can paint isn't coming out too bad. You are totally right about the pedals. I took them back out and sprayed them. Much better now ;D

IMG_3886.jpg

I also installed the dash today:

IMG_3887.jpg

IMG_3888.jpg

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like you making quick work of it. Looks good!;D

OP
OP
hannibal61577

hannibal61577

Loc.
BOISE
Looks like you making quick work of it. Looks good!;D

Thanks! I know it's not going to be perfect, but I want to get it running and be able to enjoy it a bit. Then I can do projects on it as I get time.

Made a bit more progress this weekend. I got the passenger's fender painted. Had to do a bit of body work: weld up some small tears and fix some Bondo spots.

IMG_3891.jpg

While waiting for the paint to dry, I put some controls, switches and the instrument cluster in the dash. I was even able to install the tricky ignition switch (was already apart when I got it) I had to come inside and jump on this site to do some searching. ;D

IMG_3892.jpg

I also installed the wiring harness under the dash. There was much cursing and gnashing of teeth :p But most of it's connected (after I took the photo below, of course).

IMG_3893.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
hannibal61577

hannibal61577

Loc.
BOISE
Well, I have the under-dash wiring harness mostly installed. I still need a new emergency flasher switch, and also need to hook up the fuel gauge switch, heater and steering column.

I've removed the old upholstery and foam from the driver's seat. Need to fix some cracks/tears in the frame and then paint. I bought the foam - still need the hog rings/ pliers.

IMG_3938.jpg

I got the passenger fender bolted on

IMG_3947.jpg

Then, I decided to tear down the steering column and rebuild that. A quick search on this site told me how to remove the horn button; wasn't hard after that

IMG_3941.jpg

IMG_3943.jpg

IMG_3945.jpg

Cleaned and painted up the column and put in new bearings top and bottom and a new rubber boot

IMG_3957.jpg

And last thing I did today was to put the column in place

IMG_3958.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Like the paint color. I rattle-canned some Home Depot "Hunter Green" in my engine compartment and I'm gettin' to liking the color a lot. My original was more like your color.
What is it called by the way?

And is the '53 an old Navy Jeep by any chance? The high hood reminds me of the type. CJ2A maybe? Now where's that old Jeep chart I used to keep around here...

I like how you're painting up just where you've finished too. Kind of like keeping track of your progress.
But hey, with all that work, and obviously a bit of money thrown in here and there as well, I'm thinking that you should have spend your time cursing at a brand new wiring harness instead of the old one. Even if yours is in good functional shape, the time and money would be well spent installing new.
And it's not too late...

Paul

OP
OP
hannibal61577

hannibal61577

Loc.
BOISE
Thanks Paul. The paint is Rustoleum's "Dark Hunter Green." I've been picking it up for $3.50-ish per can at Walmart.

I don't think the Willys was a military jeep. It was a hacked up trail rig when I got it. The high hood is the CJ3B - they added 4 inches to the cowl and hood to fit the new F-134 Hurricane engine under there. Began production in 1953 and was quickly overshadowed by the CJ-5 which began production in 1955.

A new wiring harness is definitely on the list, but just not right now. The next large purchase for me is a $1,000 overdrive for the Willys. After that, I need to get to rebuilding a spare engine I have sitting around for it. Since I never drove an EB before, my priority is just to get it running, drive it around a little bit to get a feel for it. Then I will figure out what projects I want to tackle :)

Way too many projects and not nearly enough time. ;D

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What kind of jeep are you working on? That spare frame sitting in the background is a '53 - used the tub from it to finish my '63.

My 53 project is an M38A1. I got the chassis finished and now need to do the body. Unfortunately it's been put on the back burner for now because I just started a complete restoration on a 1942 Ford 9N tractor.;D

OP
OP
hannibal61577

hannibal61577

Loc.
BOISE
My 53 project is an M38A1. I got the chassis finished and now need to do the body. Unfortunately it's been put on the back burner for now because I just started a complete restoration on a 1942 Ford 9N tractor.;D

Nice! LOL - you start new projects before finishing the old ones, too? ;D

OP
OP
hannibal61577

hannibal61577

Loc.
BOISE
Here are some updates from the past two weekends. I got the steering column fully installed now. Shifts through all gears nice and smooth.
IMG_3996.jpg

Welded up the extra holes in the passenger floor and drilled holes for stock seats. Primed and painted the floor.

IMG_3990.jpg

Although I put it off as long as I could, I finally got around to fixing the driver's seat frame and slide rails. Used my $25 sand blaster to get rid of some rust and welded up some broken spots. Finally sprayed the frames black.
IMG_3986.jpg

IMG_3985.jpg

I also restored the heater:
IMG_3987.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg

IMG_3989.jpg

IMG_3993.jpg

Here it is completed. It would be installed already, but I decided it would be better to wait until I order the new defroster ducts and put them in.
IMG_3994.jpg

I ordered a backup light switch and installed that, so I was able to install the power brake booster.
IMG_3995.jpg

Finally, I sanded up the hood and got a coat of primer on it.
IMG_3997.jpg

IMG_3998.jpg

I bought a new emergency flasher switch and the threaded part that comes through the dash broke from the switch body. Cheap junk. I'll look for a used one when I head over to the local EB graveyard ;D