• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

77 Bronco Build

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just about everything stripped and taken down to frame by the end of next week. Will have the suspension complete so I can have a "Roller" to get to body shop soon there after.

351w Balanced Motor is almost complete, AOD / Dana 20 is finished with all related Adaptor, Mount, Bearings / Seals, and Twin Sticks. Axles have been gone through and refreshed with Bearings / Seals.

The refurbished parts are almost done and starting to accumulate in waiting for the build to start. The wire harness, which was in great shape to start with, has been gone through, updated with Weather Proof Connectors, Head Light Relays and New Tail Light Harness.

LineX and Paint shop come first, so all the rest is in limbo for now.

Here is what it looks like for now.

Attachments

• 77 Bronco 35w Longblock.jpg
    77 Bronco 35w Longblock.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 437
  • 77 Bronco Body.jpg
    77 Bronco Body.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 549
  • 77 Bronco 9%22 Rear.jpg
    77 Bronco 9%22 Rear.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:

ILikeBond

Wow, starting the build thread 3/4 of the way done. You really didn't want to keep us waiting.

Rig is a beauty. Love the color scheme, that's going to be one flashy Bronco. Look forward to seeing it come together. Good luck.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Has not been to the paint shop yet. It will go back to all white. I debated the color, but it will be all Wimbledon White when complete.

Black Grill, Black Center of Glass Hood, Black Soft Top and Interior.

Gt-40 EFI 351w / AOD / T-Shift Dana 20 with Twin Sticks / 4.56 Gears / Lockers / Power Disc Front and Rear

Most of the parts have been in my shop for some time waiting for the next Bronco.... Now is the time.

ILikeBond

Ah. Cool. I like the two-tone, but where you're going will look great, too. My rig is actually originally Wimbledon White, too. Probably won't go back, but let's say it's not an impossibility yet...

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I like another 77 build! Wish mine was as far along as yours!

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Crawdad - Will have same 33x10.50 KM2s as yours with Black, MT, Classic Lock 15x8" wheels.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I love my KM2s! I'm interested in seeing how your AOD with 4.56s work out. Ill start out with 4.11s and a C4 with my build since I already have it, but eventually want to go in ur same direction.

What are you considering with your lift?

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have had a couple sets of KM2s as well, great tire.

Already have the WH 2 1/2" will Bilsteins. Cut wheel-wells with Flares.

Wanted a little more gear than usual. At .67 Overdrive the AOD will do fine with the 4.56 or your 4.11 should be OK too.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got the Front Axle, New C-Bushings and Radius Arms assembled this afternoon. Axle on Jack stands and Radius Arms were tightened down so they are as level/parallel as possible. Hopefully this will help alleviate the dreaded Bronco lean issue. Now I will have to see how level the Body is after installing the new Body Mounts later.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nick - Don't build em like you do, but I'm trying. The build itself is a great time for me. Kinda like a puzzle that comes to life and you can drive it.. This is number 9, I think. Wish I NEVER sold that Wimbledon White 66 by the way.... What do you have in the works?

stupidboy - What? - Not sure I understand the question.

The 77 I have is now in the process of the Body Off restoration, just kinda late getting a build thread posted with pictures....

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here is the 351w EFI in Mock Up stage. Still have a bunch of parts to install, but she's getting there.

Attachments

• 351w EFI - 1.jpg
    351w EFI - 1.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 321
  • 351w EFI - 2.jpg
    351w EFI - 2.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 337
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got the Body Loaded on the Body Buck last night and hauled both to the body shop this morning.

Grinded all the POs welding fragments off and cut/ground off the welded lower Radius Arm brackets. Frame then was Bead Blasted, Epoxy Coated and got one top coat taken care of. Final touches will be done tomorrow night.

Plan on having Stainless Brake and Fuel Lines installed this weekend along with the Fuel tank. The drivetrain will soon follow.

No real snags so far. Just finding enough time to get some things done is the problem..... Getting there.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The brake and fuel lines are now installed.

The rear 77 tank will be used for the EFI conversion. What was the emissions port on the top of the tank is now used for the EFI 5/16" return line. The port was already threaded for 1/4" NPT, so I installed a 1/4-6AN fitting and installed the stainless hardline via compression fitting.

On the supply side I installed push-lock fuel line from the sender to the fuel filter then EFI inline Fuel pump. 3/8" Stainless Hardline is installed from the pump forward to the fuel rails. I have installed this fuel system before on a previous build with no issues, so I decided to install the same again because it is pretty straight forward and easy.

Attachments

• 77 Bronco Tank - EFI Return.jpg
    77 Bronco Tank - EFI Return.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 279
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
More Pictures.

A little dusty now, but she'll clean up.

I usually go with the original body color (Wimbledon White now) , but I have decided to go to a Ford Estate Green (ST) which looks like a Metallic Olive Drab. Black Soft Top, Black Grill, Black Interior and Black 17" Wheels.

Attachments

• 77 Bronco Rear Tank.jpg
    77 Bronco Rear Tank.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 262
  • 77 Bronco Fuel System.jpg
    77 Bronco Fuel System.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 299
  • 77 Bronco Rear Frame.jpg
    77 Bronco Rear Frame.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 283
  • 77 Bronco Front Frame.jpg
    77 Bronco Front Frame.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 305
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got the Engine / Transmission / Transfer Case installed this afternoon.

Since the AOD is about 1 1/2" longer I will have to either put an additional hole in the crossmember braces to mount the crossmember, or move the brace on each side back on the frame to use the original holes for the crossmember. Can't remember what I did last time I installed an AOD???

I'm thinking about tapping new 3/8" holes in the frame and moving the crossmember Braces back about 1 1/2".

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Like the fuel filter, where did you get that at? That looks a lot better than the big lawnmower type fuel filter I planned to use. Like your choice better. Thx for the info!

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Crawdad - Fram Canister Filter - Got on eBay but can find at Summit Racing as well as others. While being a good filter with high flow, technically not an EFI filter, so with this Filter it will have to go before EFI pump NOT afterwards.

Here are some additional pictures from this afternoon progress. Current valve covers are for mock-up and install only. Will have Ford Racing EFI Painted to match Valve Covers later.

Attachments

• 77 bronco - Chassis 1.jpg
    77 bronco - Chassis 1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 279
  • 77 Bronco Chassis 2.jpg
    77 Bronco Chassis 2.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 281
  • 77 Bronco Chassis 3.jpg
    77 Bronco Chassis 3.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 277
  • 77 Bronco Chassis 4.jpg
    77 Bronco Chassis 4.jpg