• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

$1000 Bronco Restoration

Franzwa

I picked up a 68' Bronco for $1000 about a year ago from a guy who saved it from the junkyard in the 90's. He "restored" it with fiberglass and diamond plates and eventually left under a tree for years after the engine seized. After tearing it down I found the drive shaft was broken clean in half so I sent out the engine for a complete rebuild and have picked up some odds and ends since. With my CJ7 finally close to completion me and my son decided to throw the Bronco in the garage and start the tear down.

3wso.jpg

Next to my recently sold 1986 stepside.
9ub8.jpg

Last edited:

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
That rust is a cancer. And cancer sucks. Way to go rescuing it. You've got a long road ahead of you to restore that but it can be done.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow..you've got your work cut out for you! But you'll get there..and welcome to Classic Broncos!

My son (16) and I are currently fixing all the cancer in the body of his '76 EB. A big job..but not as bad as yours...

bax

Contributor
Old Member
at leas you don't have to drill out any spotwelds. parking under a tree is bad.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Now that looks like a project!

Look forward to seeing it progress!

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
Looks like you got a little rust to fix. Great way to spend time with your son, good price, good luck.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
What no rats probably died of tetanus.
get your shots before going much further.
Have fun with the father and son memories.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Looking through the threads on the CJ and the VW you guys have some serious metal skills so this will be nothing for you. heck up ere that would be a driver! ;D

Seriously though, welcome to the board and good luck.

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Looking through the threads on the CJ and the VW you guys have some serious metal skills so this will be nothing for you. heck up ere that would be a driver! ;D

Seriously though, welcome to the board and good luck.

Driver? What's that? Pete, have you driven yours yet??? ;D

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bought one for 1000 bucks a few years back and restored it to pretty nice compared to its rusty start. Yours actually looks nicer than mine was. I pulled the body and had it sand blasted and primed before starting cutting the bad areas out and it made it much easier to weld and know what to cut. I highly recommend a sand blast first.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193571

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Best of luck with the project.. You can't beat that quality time w/the kid as well as teaching him all about broncos..

will this be a Crawler, Street Rig, And/or Mall Crawler? :D

u10072

Bronco Guru
X2 on sandblasting first-- that's a lot if rust repair and a sandblasting will surely speed/help the process

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It also keeps all of the rust from falling in your eyes, makes it easier to see holes and you can draw on it, and significantly reduces the risk of tetanus.

OP
OP
Franzwa

Franzwa

This past weekend we pulled off the windshield frame and underneath is solid :cool:. We also pulled the dash off and started marking and cutting the terrible mess the PO created with the wiring harness. This week i'll be ordering the replacement panels and cleaning up odds and ends.

Just a bit dirty

Replacement windshield frame