• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing speedometer with out taking Dash off?

Wingo4x4

Loc.
Myrtle Beach
Is it possible to remove the speedometer with out taking the whole dash off? I can see its held on by 4 screws on the dash but wasn't sure if there is a lot more to removing it on the back side.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Yes it can be done. An easy way to get to it is to remove the fresh air box under the hood there and your right on it.

Billsboat

Loc.
Rowlett tx
It's easy to do, and I've never taken out the air box. U should take pictures of where the wires go before u start pulling them

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Disconnect the speedo cable, remove the 4 screws in the dash, then carefully push back and down to expose the wires. Disconnect wiring and pull the bulb sockets out to remove unit.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I've had mine in and out SO many times. I've never had to remove anything other than the speed-o cable from the back of the cluster.

I just detach the speed-o cable, remove the 4 screws that hold the cluster and then push the cluster in and up with some wiggling and it comes right out the bottom.

Tim

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I put a chair outside the door so I can lay down on my back. Sticky wire numbers on the wires and sharpie the numbers on the back of the cluster. Mine has been in and out so many times I can do a total swap in less than 30 minutes.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As others have stated, yes it can be done and not too hard. The metal rim around the glass is easy to scrap the pain off sliding it in and out from under the dash. If you care about it you may try protecting it with some blue tape.

While not necessary to access it, pulling the fresh air box make working on the back of the gauge much easier then crawling under the dash. Much easier once I found that trick.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
There are only a few screws holding the airbox in rights there on top and it comes right out. Just makes everything easier to me.

OP
OP
Wingo4x4

Wingo4x4

Loc.
Myrtle Beach
Thanks for all the advice. Im getting the speedometer restored so it doesn't matter if it gets scratched.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Don't over tighten the speedo cable when you go to put it back!