• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing 2.5 inch lift kit

mdm5371

I've got a '76 in the shop to remove the lift kit. It'a a Tom's kit, looked to me like everything should come off easily, replaced by new coil springs up front, new leaf springs out back, new shocks, new c-bushings for radius arms. They're asking about the radius arms before they'll do the work. They looked stock to me, before I took it in. Does a 2.5 inch lift require new radius arms? Anyone got experience with this? The "complete" lift from Tom's doesn't include radius arms, just bushings.

Help! I want my girl back.

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Nah. Unless the PO did something different, the 2.5” lift would easily use the stock radius arms. In fact, I just installed a 2.5” lift from Tom’s using stock arms.

Why does your shop NOT know this? Be cautious to the quality of their work!!!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Depending on what bushings are in the front, leaving the C-bushings for a lift can make it drive better.

Agree with others, shop sounds sketchy. Very basic stuff is puzzling them. Not a good sign.

What might get sticky is if a drop track bar bracket was used and welded on. That can be a lot of work to remove and may be ignored as not part of the lift kit.

OP
OP
M

mdm5371

Thanks for all the feedback! All I can figure is they're trying to sell me something. Will clarify with them to just do the springs and shocks and give it back. It's only a 2.5...

Soylent

Contributor
Loc.
California
Thanks for all the feedback! All I can figure is they're trying to sell me something. Will clarify with them to just do the springs and shocks and give it back. It's only a 2.5...
Do you have a picture of your front end showing the track bar mount and the pitman arm?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What you and the others have said.
New springs, new, shocks, and done.
Leave the radius arms alone, for now at least, and let us know more details later.
If the previous owner had a drop Pitman Arm and drop track bar bracket installed, they might mess up the steering on a 76 as you go lower. Earlier models would not have been a problem.

As the others have said, neither would leaving C-bushings rated for a higher lift cause you an immediate problem.
They still will add some angle to the front U-joint, which can lead to trouble in four-wheel-drive. But in 2 Wheel drive, it might just be an improvement.
One thing that could cause problems, would be if they switched tie rod assemblies to something different. Because yours is 76 it has a different steering linkage set up from the factory than earlier models. In theory, they would not have needed to make a changes to the steering. But theory goes out the window with vehicles that are almost 50 years old.

OP
OP
M

mdm5371

I went down there today. I measured the radius arms on my standard height '73, about 34" from axle to frame mounts, same on the '76. I'm confused as to what I should tell them. They work on mostly modern stuff, of course anything is modern compared to a 1976, but they say the radius arms are too long. The previous owner, who lifted it in the first place, confirmed the radius arms are standard. I'm thinking of just telling them nevermind. Almost forgot, pitman arm is also standard.

OP
OP
M

mdm5371

@Johnnyb Yes. It's uncut, I'd like to get it back to stock height, I like the original look. I've got the original rims and hubcaps on it, so 2.5" high makes 235/75/15 look small. The only off-roading she'll see is OBX sand...

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I went down there today. I measured the radius arms on my standard height '73, about 34" from axle to frame mounts, same on the '76. I'm confused as to what I should tell them. They work on mostly modern stuff, of course anything is modern compared to a 1976, but they say the radius arms are too long. The previous owner, who lifted it in the first place, confirmed the radius arms are standard. I'm thinking of just telling them nevermind. Almost forgot, pitman arm is also standard.
I would not let this weekend get here without removing this vehicle from their shop. It’s pretty obvious they don’t know what they’re doing…at least with an EB. Just my 2 cents worth.

Randy

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
I would think there are tons of places in NC who can handle swapping out springs (assuming you are in NC since you spoke of OBX sand). Heck, there are probably people on this forum who would do it for a case of beer... Post up where you are and see if you get any suggestions. Or offers!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Or, just for less hassle on your part, let them change the springs and shocks, and don’t let them worry about anything else.
Hopefully a longer driveshaft was not installed for that amount of lift. It would not normally have been, but you never know what PO’s might have done!
Then, when you get the vehicle back, post up some pictures here of the full setup and let us give you suggestions before you take it into another shop.

OP
OP
M

mdm5371

I'm in Richmond, VA. Picking it up today. Anyone got any ideas where I can get this job done near Richmond?

Last edited:

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I'm in Richmond, VA. Picking it up today. Anyone got any ideas where I can get this job done near Richmond?

Trailer it to my house in Wake Forest and we’ll get you rolling.

Or just do it yourself on level ground with a floor jack, frame stands and hand tools. quite easy.