• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Convert radio back to stock

Skyblue70

What's the best way to convert my dash back to original. It's a Maxlider $40k restored Bronco that's stock other than the the radio. Paint is good. Thanks in advance.
bee5b3909cb4aab97d6e561a19a2a782.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
You would either need to weld metal back in or make some sort of bolt in plate to go back stock. I don't think I would take the welding approach on a $40K Bronco. Maybe find a vintage looking radio that fits the DIN hole that you have. May be a little easier. Although with that big trim ring that is installed you may have an oversized hole under there.

Godwick

Loc.
Santa Barbara, CA
You would either need to weld metal back in or make some sort of bolt in plate to go back stock. I don't think I would take the welding approach on a $40K Bronco. Maybe find a vintage looking radio that fits the DIN hole that you have. May be a little easier. Although with that big trim ring that is installed you may have an oversized hole under there.

X2 on the hacking up a $40k bronco job. But something like this would probably work nice. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/res-rc9c5020676/overview/
Let us know if that's the route you go.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Before I would weld on that dash I would get a stock type replacement dash from one of the vendors and have the restorer paint it to match the current color.
That would not cause warping of the sheet metal so it would look better than a patch or bolted on cover plate.

OP
OP
Skyblue70

Skyblue70

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
This does look like the easiest option.

Thanks.

But that’s not the correct opening for our stock radios. I’ve patched a couple of dashes. It’s not that hard.

bteutsch

Here's my before and after. I cut the hole for the radio out when I was in high school. Always kept the factory radio. Decided to put it back in when doing paint and body work. Also had an AM/FM/BLUETOOTH conversion at the same time. Used www.turnswitch.com for that.

4c686814d425ab4f67b7c6ab753e27ac.jpg

5df67f13e83b852dafd1fef1a2715e91.jpg

eb10868729b00313f34d9f503ef30d8b.jpg

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
I would do this. it is on the retrosound web page too but you have to search for it. all the ones they show on the above link are for two post radios. this one is specific for the bronco with the stock holes. also if you get the stereo then you have modern tunes with vintage look
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1966-77-F06-HUNT-DRP-1093_1024x1024.jpg
    1966-77-F06-HUNT-DRP-1093_1024x1024.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 312
OP
OP
Skyblue70

Skyblue70

Okay, so three options:

1) replace with Retro Sound, with repair kit $349

2) New dash $349....but need to paint (not sure of price)

3) Or repair dash and paint. (body shop to do, not sure of price)

But, I don't have a stereo, but I don't have a stereo with options 2 & 3. But, I think I may just go without. I have a bluetooth speaker and my phone.

For a stock Bronco, is a plain dash without a cutout of any kind of stereo better than a retro-stereo?

OP
OP
Skyblue70

Skyblue70

I would do this. it is on the retrosound web page too but you have to search for it. all the ones they show on the above link are for two post radios. this one is specific for the bronco with the stock holes. also if you get the stereo then you have modern tunes with vintage look
attachment.php

I do like the looks of this one.....

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I wish they made a non-digital version of this that wasn't double the price

Thats what the stock radio opening should be? Just 3 holes?

It's 5 small holes that are easily drilled into a smooth flat surface. 5 pilot holes and a step drill is all you need!