• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what i have learned on an unfinished 10 year plus project

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i under planned and over spent, and changed my mind too many times. i have a great project but life and all these bad decisions have cost me valuable time. lesson number one, make a plan, complete, and stick with it if you are doing a frame off. This site is the best place for any info you need. I kept over complicating things, like overdrive, efi, np205, etc. nothing wrong with those, but there is definitely nothing wrong with the original stuff. The other thing is the motor, seriously over planned on that now, i am back to a stock 5.0 explorer engine with cast iron manifolds. sticking with the efi now. Just trying to give a "buyer beware" warning to those who are just starting out. Oh yeah, and there was that rear disc brake thing that i struggled with, over that now. This site told me, dont need it, keep rolling, but no i went through that phase too. I have built two trans and finally got this one installed, oops make that three. I could go on, but bottom line is that old Army saying, KISS. Not for everybody, but for an average guy like me with limited time, it is the best principle. Hope this helps some "noobie" or hobbyist in their decision making. What do you call those guys that get on the sites and pretend they have something to build and ask all kind of crazy questions LOL.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Awesome post, solid advice and so true and I think it happens to more of us than not.
K.I.S.S. for sure, words to live by!

Nothing Special

I think that's a pretty common thing to learn. I did too when I built my Bronco. I told my story in my build thread, but I'm on my third trans, second engine, third (or 4th?) accessory drive, 3rd carb/EFI...

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think that's a pretty common thing to learn. I did too when I built my Bronco. I told my story in my build thread, but I'm on my third trans, second engine, third (or 4th?) accessory drive, 3rd carb/EFI...

we should start a support club lol, i am on my third engine counting the first one before i tore it all down

chuckyb

Contributor
Fordguy, no truer words have ever been spoken. Just last night I was inventorying parts that I have purchased but will not be using for my project.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I could go on, but bottom line is that old Army saying, KISS. Not for everybody, but for an average guy like me with limited time, it is the best principle.

Best advise ever.. Keep it Simple... Stupid :D

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Fordguy, no truer words have ever been spoken. Just last night I was inventorying parts that I have purchased but will not be using for my project.

same thing here, I am selling those extra parts as I type. I have a new sense of direction on my build and it isn't going to change this time. I have not built one yet, so I gave up the dream of owning or building multiples like I once had.

wookie650

I am in the same boat. I tore mine down ten years ago when I had just bought my first house and was newly married. I thought, great, now I have a garage and a place for this frame off project. Then I started working far away and had my daughter. I wouldn't change any of it but it sure has slowed down finishing the bronco.

Looking back I should have done modification but kept it drive able.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I was having trouble with my column shift rods of all things recently and found myself looking into a ZF swap (b/c brokenn has one for sale) and/or a 3550 swap!! 3 spd works fine by the way, had to give myself a slap ;)

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
I've built a few prior to the current driver that will be a frame off.
I know that I've decided to drive it for a few years to help me figure out exactly what I want to do and where I want it to go.

I'll be building/using/cribbing an excel build sheet from things I've collected around here over the years. I've been building it for a while now. It's got options under most headings so that I know what I considered and making sure to see all the options [such as Door Hinges: Stock Rebuilt, New, Lift Off, None] and move the selected one over. I've built it in my head a few times already and there's only been minimal changes [It'll be a hardtop, but do I want to take the time to rebuild a metal or go to a fiber glass type arguments].

It'll be 95% on road and needs to be comfortable for the kids and wife; so a lot of decisions have been made for me when it comes to the interior/stance/comfort/drivetrain in an effort to satisfy their needs too.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Good advice. It is best to stay realistic with the builds on these trucks it will take twice as long and cost twice as much as you think. I was always a fan of keeping them running and driving as much as I could when I work on them. Of course when you do a frame off you loose that. And upgrades people need to be relalistic about, yeah it would be awesome to have 4 wheel disc brakes, with a 5.0 coyote, modern OD trans, and all updated electronics, but will you ever use that? will you really enjoy driving the bronco that much more if you put all that extra time and money in it? just some other questions people need to answer.

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Of course when you do a frame off you loose that. And upgrades people need to be realistic about, yeah it would be awesome to have 4 wheel disc brakes, with a 5.0 coyote, modern OD trans, and all updated electronics, but will you ever use that?

This.
I generally start with 'What's the barest minimum that I could live with?' across the board. Then as you set those expectations/needs; a fair portion of the build WILL FORCE ITSELF upon you .

So my head goes like this: I have to have 3pt seat belts. So I have to have a mounting point for them. So I'll need a 6pt cage. I don't want front legs though. So it looks like I'm getting a Krawlers Edge type cage. And I've rolled before, so it'll be tied to frame. So no Aux tank; better for go to a larger main tank.

So because of my absolute need to have seat belts for the family; my cage, fuel system, and in some ways interior have been decided for me.

And the sub questions to that become: EFI will demand the tank connections and a FI Tech or similar would be more cost effective and more reliable for the wife, stock seats or aftermarket [and those will dictate the carpet and side panels if going for original or other], etc.

It's why I've got to build it 5-6 times and watch my wants/needs ebb and flow over time in my head and on paper. I know that no matter what I choose to do, I'll always second guess something, but having a rigid build sheet before I start will be the only thing to keep it from becoming a never ending story.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
All those extra parts are worth allot more now than 10 years ago. You have a 10 year investment ending at the peak of value. Look at all the trouble your Bronco project has kept you out of. Hope you enjoy your Bronco soon before you go starting another one.

You won't know what to do with yourself once you think your done.

Nothing Special

I am in the same boat. I tore mine down ten years ago when I had just bought my first house and was newly married. I thought, great, now I have a garage and a place for this frame off project. Then I started working far away and had my daughter. I wouldn't change any of it but it sure has slowed down finishing the bronco.

Looking back I should have done modification but kept it drive able.

After doing two frame-off rebuilds before having kids (a 1929 Model A Ford and a 1975 J**p CJ5) I decided to keep the scope smaller on my Bronco. I still had it pretty much out of commission for about 3 years.

So my advice would be:
  • Pick the right vehicle to start with. I loved the CJ5 when I was single, or married with no (or very small) kids. But by about 10 years old my kids had out-grown the back seat and I was starting on a new project (the Bronco) with more room (and good thing we only have 2 kids!)
  • Try to do things in stages. As wookie said, if you do smaller scope projects and keep it drivable as you go, you get to enjoy using it. And your family gets to enjoy using it! Yes, it limits what you can do to some extent (I'd love to blast and repaint my frame, but that ain't happening!). It also might be more expensive or more work in the long run (why don't I change the trans while I have the engine out anyway?). But you'll get to use it a lot more, and that can be huge as your kids are growing up and you're not losing chances to go 'wheeling with them because your Bronco's still in pieces.
  • Research new things! I put an automatic with a manual valve body in as a way to let my wife drive it (she wouldn't anyway, but that's another issue). I didn't realize that it would have NO compression braking. Others knew that, so I could have avoided that rabbit hole. But I learned the hard way.
  • Keep it simple! That was already said, but I'll say it again. A carb and an original V-belt accessory drive with a stock alternator works pretty good. Sure there are cool upgrades available. But do you need them? And if you do, see above where I suggest doing it in stages. You don't need to do rebuilt engine, EFI, sepentine belt, 3G alternator and auto trans all at the same time.

Having said all of that, good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment. So most people are going to learn these lessons for themselves. Enjoy the ride!

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
After doing two frame-off rebuilds before having kids (a 1929 Model A Ford and a 1975 J**p CJ5) I decided to keep the scope smaller on my Bronco. I still had it pretty much out of commission for about 3 years.

So my advice would be:
  • Pick the right vehicle to start with. I loved the CJ5 when I was single, or married with no (or very small) kids. But by about 10 years old my kids had out-grown the back seat and I was starting on a new project (the Bronco) with more room (and good thing we only have 2 kids!)
  • Try to do things in stages. As wookie said, if you do smaller scope projects and keep it drivable as you go, you get to enjoy using it. And your family gets to enjoy using it! Yes, it limits what you can do to some extent (I'd love to blast and repaint my frame, but that ain't happening!). It also might be more expensive or more work in the long run (why don't I change the trans while I have the engine out anyway?). But you'll get to use it a lot more, and that can be huge as your kids are growing up and you're not losing chances to go 'wheeling with them because your Bronco's still in pieces.
  • Research new things! I put an automatic with a manual valve body in as a way to let my wife drive it (she wouldn't anyway, but that's another issue). I didn't realize that it would have NO compression braking. Others knew that, so I could have avoided that rabbit hole. But I learned the hard way.
  • Keep it simple! That was already said, but I'll say it again. A carb and an original V-belt accessory drive with a stock alternator works pretty good. Sure there are cool upgrades available. But do you need them? And if you do, see above where I suggest doing it in stages. You don't need to do rebuilt engine, EFI, sepentine belt, 3G alternator and auto trans all at the same time.

Having said all of that, good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment. So most people are going to learn these lessons for themselves. Enjoy the ride!

I hope some of the others considering bigger and better will read your comments and others and heed the warning.

fosgate150

Support Group...

Support Group...

Hi.. My name is Lee... I have an addiction to Broncos and I'm on a 3+ year build... hahahaha! ;D