• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Project Pretty in Pink - It Made it to SOB!!! See Pg 17!

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Alright folks, I am back in the Bronco game again and I think I have already dug myself a pit and started a northwest bronco graveyard!!! It all started when I had a 67 through college that I had a blast working on and cruising the mud/hills/street in Bakersfield, CA for several years. Why did I sell it...I have no idea, only had rust on the floor pans, a strong 289, excellent body, losts of fun. It was my daily driver for several of those years till I tuned it up but forgot to tighten down the distributor and got busy hitting the hills and broke a bunch of teeth off the dist/cam. It sat for a while after that and was replaced by other projects while I was busy finishing up college. I moved onto other projects like a 72 IH Scout 2, a 65 Triumph spitfire, then a 64 Barracuda. Well I just sold the Barracuda and got another Bronco, well the first one three weeks ago. It is a 76 with PS, PB, C4, rebuilt strong 302, etc, etc, etc. Straight body but some rust that I knew would have to be dealt with. Seam rust, floors, 1 rocker, and at least 1 striker. I figured it was a good starting spot...

Updated Pics are on the last page.

Attachments

• 76Bronco.jpg
    76Bronco.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 682
  • 76 bronco front.jpg
    76 bronco front.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 551
  • A little helper.jpg
    A little helper.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 977
Last edited:
OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
It continues

I guess I could say just a blurb about myself since I am new but will probably be pretty active on the site for quite a while...Name is Josh, that's my son Micah (almost 2) we live in Clackamas, Or (suburb of Portland). We just moved up here about a year and a half ago...I grew up in Bakersfield, CA but my wife grew up down the road so we are back. I was a jr high math teacher for the past 6 years but became a Mr. Mom when we moved up here. (second son is due in 6 weeks). Love to work on vehicles, always looking for Bronco connections in my area. I have gotten a little desperate and started trailing Broncos home the other day trying to meet fellow EB owners. I am almost 30, church goin fella, hate rain and love the sunshine....Back to the Broncos...

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
72 Bronco (smashed)

Well after getting rolling again with finding the parts houses, this site, etc. my wife decided she wanted me to build her a bronco...and begins project Pink 72. I love watching items on ebay and looking for deals and found a 72 in Bak's with only rust in the floorboards and a straight tub, good drive train, BB rear, 44 front and smashed front metal. Well worked a deal and drove 800 miles each way and picked it up...

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 501
  • brown bronco.jpg
    brown bronco.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 602
  • brown bronco 2.jpg
    brown bronco 2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 510
OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Cool Green and Rust

Well I stripped the red 76 down in all the right spots to get a good look and found 4 rotted posts, a rotted rocker, rot in the seams creating daylight to shine through (after cleaning), rotted floors with POS PO patches, basically the lower 6 inches of the tub has some issues. I stopped by Tom's Bronco on the way down to Bako to pick up the 72 and got a bunch of new metal to replace the rot but still need to learn to weld. I am still trying to get into the network up here to get a little assistance but being a newbie to the area makes it tough. The tub could be made pretty good with some welding expertise but I lack that so off to look for a new tub. Virtually every panel is as straight as an arrow, solid WS frame and rear wells and tub are clean but for this project I don't want to leave any rust underneath. But to put new posts, figure out the seams, new rockers and floor, may as well look for a better tub.

Attachments

• greeny seam rot.jpg
    greeny seam rot.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 215
  • greeny rot.jpg
    greeny rot.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 231
  • greeny quarters.jpg
    greeny quarters.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 185
  • greeny door posts rot.jpg
    greeny door posts rot.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 210
OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
New tub

Got home yesterday with a new tub from seattle. Got a tub (new floors (need finishing) perfect posts and seams, solid and straight, needs rear wells, straight frame, 9", D44, good top except for sunroof and :-[ ), 69 VIN, pile of extras and a trick rotisserie to use. Rear wells need replaced but are easier to replace than the posts/floors/rockers/seams (can't seem to get a complete tub ready to use) I will sell the axles and top but use the rest. Also anyone who needs to borrow a rotisserie in the area is free to borrow it in a month or so (got more projects to go and a part donation or workshare would be appreciated). The rotisserie is a form of the one posted on the forum but is very versatile and will work with other bodies. I will post up picks with it assembled. Everyone is invited to a rotisserie party next weekend (beer and BBQ provided)!!! I will need some help getting the tub mounted.

Attachments

• rotisserie.jpg
    rotisserie.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 500
  • new tub rot.jpg
    new tub rot.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 471
  • new tub floors.jpg
    new tub floors.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 739
  • new tub.jpg
    new tub.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 424
OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Am I crazy

Yeah, I have the sickness. It will be justified to me once I get one rolling which hopefully I can get done (drivable) by the time my son is born. I think that is pretty optimistic but hey, why not. The first build will be putting the 69 tub on the rotisserie and getting it prepped, pop the 76 body off and clean prep the frame/suspension/tank, new valve covers, gaskets, headers (if i find some extra change in the couch). Pop the new tub on and prep/paint. This one will be lime green (kinda like the 76 under the red) with black top, flares, interior. Interior I will herculine, seats are great, new panels and dash pad cover (or no cover) . My 67 didn't have a dash pad...I liked the look, never even knew they had pads till I checked out a few other rigs.

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
hey i didnt know you lived in clackamas, that is awesome, very close to me, i am in gresham and my grandparents live in clackamas, i dont know hwat part of clackamas you are in but if you need help with anything like i said before i can help out this summer, after school, i never knew you were so close you projects look awesome, i am with you i have my 69 always needs some work being a daily driver, and my dads 72 hopefully i can get himto bring it home at the end of summer for SOB, are you going to get a bronco ready by then to take?
good luck hit me up around june if you still need some help i am out in clackamas often enough at my grandparents

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
btw if you ever go to get rid of the wheels ont hat orange one let me know i hav always wanted a set like that and might be interested or maybe my dad for his bronco

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
You callin me an SOB ;)

Yeah my ultimate goal is to have 1 of them done enough to drive the fam out for SOB in august. I am off the 212 at 135th (hubbard). I haven't ever been to any of the BroncoFests but I am sure it would be fun and would love to drive mine out. I should have gotten back into the EB's when I was in stockton for 3 years...I lived 2 blocks from WildHorses, always loved to just stop by and take a peak at what was parked there or being worked on.
I will definitely give you a shout when you are in town, I am wanting to do as much of the work as I can to defray costs (already sunk $ into 3 fractional broncos). Plan to do the body/paint myself with a homemade paint booth in the garage (don't tell the wife, plan to do it when she works the late shift. ;D )

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Rallys

Yeah the old Rally's are sweet, these should clean up real nice...came with 5 in pretty good shape. Haven't decided what I am going to do with them, if they clean up like I think they will I will probably keep them but we'll see. I will keep you in mind. Anybody want to trade their half cab top for my wagon top??? I am wanting to run either top depending on what I am doing...gonna sell my 03 Ram Hemi so I can buy more Bronco parts...yikes...sickness indeed.

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
oh sweet ya i know right where you are that isnt far from me at all like 20 min maybe 30 on a bad day with all the road work out there lately lol.
good luck ont he projects keep us updated

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
-

My wife works at Mt. Hood Med Center in Gresham and my Bro-in-Law lives in Fairview. I am hoping to take a class at Clackamas Community next quater for auto welding repair but probably need to learn some sooner to get rolling on the first project. I do have a knack for doing some custom stuff but gotta get the skill down first. Those bumpers you made are pretty nice.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Back on Track

Alright I think I have decided on the direction I want to go...I am attached to that green tub for some reason and am going to fix the floors and rocker, patch up what I can, put her back together and respray her in that original green color I just like the idea of a non-FrankenBronco if you can help it. Just got to get that matched. I would like to get this one on the road for me (don't care too much about a full resto for me) and get to work on my wife's ground up Pretty in Pink 72 (the currently smashed brown one. So the tub I got Sunday is up for sale along with the top, axles, other misc. Check the parts adds. Anyway, looking for some welding assistance in the next week or so, if you can or know someone in the area that can help, I would love the contact.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Progress!!!

I am looking to get new pans in this weekend and got started today. Got my passenger side all ready to go, I love the Air Chisel!!! It worked real nice and my dewalt bits did a good job on the welds to clean up. This was my first project on the Bronco and I am pretty excited. I got the first part of the floor up and found a lake in the seat support...figured there would be a ton of rust because of the water I found but...It turned out perfect!!! The supports were about as clean as they could be. All in all a great day. ;D

Attachments

• ready to weld.jpg
    ready to weld.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 352
  • interesting working with roll bar.jpg
    interesting working with roll bar.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 415
  • clean support.jpg
    clean support.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 284
  • dirty support.jpg
    dirty support.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 302
  • support lake.jpg
    support lake.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 345

Tom Dummer

Loc.
Scappoose, Or
To hell with SoCal, the weather here will grow on you. Some say its moss, but I dont know. Sure makes a nice jacket.

I like that, 5 posts on the first day and theres a trip back to Cali, one to Wa. and 2 projects in full swing. If you really move that fast, I've go some wrenching for you that should only take about 3 hours of "your" time.

What did the brown Bronco hit??

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Mold, It is growing everywhere

Yeah my Dodge even has mold growing on it and its got a hemi...no escaping it, kinda like rust...arg!!! Truly I got started with all of my EB's about 3 weeks ago going from 1 to 3 and yes well over 2k miles in between. I am diving in head first and there's no looking back. I have 6 weeks give or take a few days before son #2 is born and I want to have this first one done. Its crazy but I think I can do it and will be learning to weld, do body work, and paint all within this time!!! Where in the heck is Scapoose Or? I knew there was one in WA but didn't know there was one in OR. Hey I am always up for projects as long as I don't have to drive another thousand miles and have to find a way to hide it from the local neighborhood Homeowners Ass. Lots of learning to go, heres to it!!!
As far as that brown one, I don't know but the driver's knee went through the dash and the steering wheel impaled the driver from the way it looks. He did survive but didnt want to have anything else to do with the bronco. It was towed to a lot after the wreck in November and was never claimed, that's where I got it...didn't even get a salvage on the title., awesome!!!

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
More progress!

While the kid was napping got the drivers side floor ripped out and prepped. Looking forward to some new floors! I hate dealing with other people's patch jobs, wish I just had the original floor to rip out, would have been able to save the lips to weld to a bit more. The previous weld job was nasty and really tough to get off. I take it I should get the floors in before ripping out the rocker? Need a little stability in the chassis. What if I leave the top attached, will that leave enough strength? I would like to have everything ready to weld at the same session. Where is the best place to get ordinary sheet metal, 18g etc? I thought my local home improvement store would but I struck out. Need a little bit to patch a few things. Also thinking of putting a strip over top of the outer edge where the floors will mount up so that it looks a lot cleaner.

Attachments

• driver floor1.jpg
    driver floor1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 228
  • driver floor 2.jpg
    driver floor 2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 225
  • driver floor 3.jpg
    driver floor 3.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 247