• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bailie Bilt - Project "Quarter Horse" 8-14-08 Pics With Wheels/Tires Finally!!

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Bailie Bilt - Project "Quarter Horse" 8-14-08 Pics With Wheels/Tires Finally!!

Couldn't update my "original" thread, because it is over the time-line.

Anyway, Gordon and I have finally started, really working on Quarter Horse. We've got about 2 1/2 days into it with lot of progress already showing. We've just about completed all the body panel replacement and patching. Now, we are focusing on trimming, chopping and cutting away the body in key areas.

Plans:
Stretched and tubed front clip (Approx. 8-10 inches), lined tub and under belly, wild paint scheme, etc, etc.

We should have the body ready for the chassis in about a week. After that, we plan to have the body painted and on the chassis within 30 days.

Stay tuned for more updates in the near future

Attachments

• Driver FLoor Fixed (2).jpg
    Driver FLoor Fixed (2).jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 454
  • Driver Side Fixed (2).jpg
    Driver Side Fixed (2).jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 458
  • Passenger FLoor Fix (2).jpg
    Passenger FLoor Fix (2).jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 453
  • Passenger Striker Patched (2).jpg
    Passenger Striker Patched (2).jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 430
Last edited:
OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Updated body and frame work

Gordon and I are really starting to get excited now.....we are finally realizing our vision for this build. All rust gone and body panels replaced (front clip will be tube). Frame is stripped of all factory hardware, bracketry and welds ground smooth. Engine and tranny are mocked into position. The engine will sit 2" lower and 2" forward of stock location. I know, before everyone crucifies me, that is a chevy engine and tranny. It is what I have and it is an awesome powerplant. 383 small block, stroked to 392 with injection and lots of other goodies. Bilt 700R auto tranny and Atlas 2, 5.0 transfer case.

Notice in the pics that we've notched the frame on the drivers side to allow us to clock Atlas up and parallel to the frame. This will allow for more clearance and give us the opportunity to flush mount a belly pan to the bottom of the frame.

Once we notch the front crossmember so we have engine clearance, we will start on the rear, linked suspension. Hope to have progress pics of the rear suspension by the end of next week.

Stay tuned............

Attachments

• Transfer case mount.JPG
    Transfer case mount.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 354
  • knotched frame2.JPG
    knotched frame2.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 343
  • knotched frame.JPG
    knotched frame.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 485
  • Motor mounts.JPG
    Motor mounts.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 378
  • Frame.JPG
    Frame.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 307
  • Well housing.JPG
    Well housing.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 423
  • Belly.JPG
    Belly.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 279

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
UH? I for one couldn't really care less what the motor is. I just appreciate the fact they are building a cool rig and are posting up pictures to show us how they are doing it. That frame cut out is a sweet piece of work. I know the motor is a big part of the project but with so many guys running other non Ford parts(Dodge 203's, Chevy H-boost and brakes, etc) I just don't think it's that big a deal.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
UH? I for one couldn't really care less what the motor is. I just appreciate the fact they are building a cool rig and are posting up pictures to show us how they are doing it. That frame cut out is a sweet piece of work. I know the motor is a big part of the project but with so many guys running other non Ford parts(Dodge 203's, Chevy H-boost and brakes, etc) I just don't think it's that big a deal.

I'll run chevy, dodge, even honda parts, but there is something sacred about the engine. I cringe when I see a '32 rod with chevy engine - just not right! He said himself he'd probably get crucified - so he knows it's wrong! If I had a nice chevy engine I'd put it in a 68-72 blazer where it belongs . . .

tobinj

Loc.
Martinsburg, WV
No matter what engine is in it I for one think that is gonna be a sweet rig. Nobody gets crucified when they put the 4bt's in so whats the big deal. Nice work.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Fab work aside, his bumpers are great as well, when you start talking about "heart transplants" it becomes the same old deal. Either you are a purist or not. Different strokes for different folks. In addition to the street rods already mentioned, a few years back straight line guys started showing up at the track with fox bodied 'stangs with Chebys in them....... :(
I will keep my 392 Windsor in one of the ebs and my diesel will remain a 'stroke in the dually!!!!!!!

1975SPORT

Loc.
Hood River, Oregon
eh, to each their own...personally I like to see ford parts in fords and chevy in chevy. But I dont think this is the point of the tread. Whether you are doing a ford or a chevy they are still showing us how they are doing stuff...if you learn one thing out of it then you better for it. Lets get off the guys case. Most of us including me couldnt do what they are doing right now without help from them :).

OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
I appreciate everyone's feedback and trying to keep the thread positive and not focusing in on the engine. Once again, when it comes to builds of this magnitude....it is simply a "money" issue and I already had this engine and tranny combo. The engine alone has over $8000.00 invested. I could not build a comparable Ford motor for anywhere near what I have invested in this engine. Long story short, we will probably have somewhere around $35-45 thousand in this build and I am trying to keep the cost down where it counts.

Everything else......will be custom bilt by Bailiebilt and I think you will like what you see!!!

Stay tuned. We finished the motor mounts last night and the engine and tranny are now sitting in the frame under their own power.

Dale

BroncoDarin

Loc.
Spokane, Washington
I appreciate everyone's feedback and trying to keep the thread positive and not focusing in on the engine. Once again, when it comes to builds of this magnitude....it is simply a "money" issue and I already had this engine and tranny combo. The engine alone has over $8000.00 invested. I could not build a comparable Ford motor for anywhere near what I have invested in this engine. Long story short, we will probably have somewhere around $35-45 thousand in this build and I am trying to keep the cost down where it counts.

Everything else......will be custom bilt by Bailiebilt and I think you will like what you see!!!

Stay tuned. We finished the motor mounts last night and the engine and tranny are now sitting in the frame under their own power.

Dale

I really don't want to sound negative here, and I am very impressed with this build. However, it almost seems as though you are trying to make us believe that if you had a choice you would put a ford engine in it when really you want the chevy. The $8k into the engine could be recovered by selling it or waiting to put into another project. You state thet $35-$45k will be spent and that you are comfortable with that. For me, if I was putting that much money into a build, I would put the engine in that I really want...which you are, and that is okay, just don't make the excuse that it is about money.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru

Dale
Ahh hell Dale at least we can give you and gaspasser crap at the same time now;D :p Good work and keep us posted on the progress. can't wait for the end result I am sure it will be cool:cool: We can hit diz pretty soon to try er out;D

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
So at this rate I guess you plan to have it done for this year's OCBR? Will be cool to take a gander at, if you do.

I have no problem with the Chevy engine. They're just parts. It'd be different if you were restoring a bronco. But this is a trail rig. Even with a chevy drivetrain, if it still looks like a bronco, its better than a buggy IMO. :)

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
It's lookin' great! Keep us posted! I do have a hard time with a chevy power plant in a bronco. It's the "Heart" of the rig, and likely the last thing I'd ever replace with anything non-Ford. My excuse is I bleed blue. But I wouldn't hold it against ya, just not something i would have done...maybe. I know it'll be one cool bronc when you're done tho and I am exicted to see the end result.

J.D.

defecater

Loc.
Osceola,IA
I really don't want to sound negative here, and I am very impressed with this build. However, it almost seems as though you are trying to make us believe that if you had a choice you would put a ford engine in it when really you want the chevy. The $8k into the engine could be recovered by selling it or waiting to put into another project. You state thet $35-$45k will be spent and that you are comfortable with that. For me, if I was putting that much money into a build, I would put the engine in that I really want...which you are, and that is okay, just don't make the excuse that it is about money.

Pretty much what I was thinking. I really have no problem with doing something different, but with so many people putting chevy engines in everything, it gets tiresome real fast. Just like the mainstream wheeling media filling their pages with jeep stuff-too much jeep stuff.

OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
PHP:
Written by Broncodarin:

Okay!?! It really sounded negative!!!!.......who are you to judge me or my intentions? I don't mean to sound like an arse....But if this is the way this thread is going to go, then I'll just stop posting. I feel like I'm on pirate and this is what I hate about that site.

We are trying to build this EB as quickly as possible so Gordon can get it out of his shop and move onto other projects...he has to make a living and this is what he does. I don't have time to jack around trying to trade someone out of an engine or sell it or build another one and are you really telling me that I would ever get what is invested in this used engine? More importantly, I would never be able to convience my wife of it. Lastly, I am truely one of the most die hard Bronco and Ford guys you'll ever meet, but, this is not a street truck and when it is through there ain't going to be a whole hellofalot of bronco left, except for the body.

Now, it's late, I just came back from the hospital after visiting my wife and 18 month old baby girl who we had to admit yesterday, I'm tired and really cranky.........so there, it's off my chest and now I apologize.

Dale