• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1969 Bronco - Died while driving, then doesn't want to start

sk1nw4lk3r

Hello all. I just picked up another Bronco the other day and took it for a short ride. It started right up, I drove it about 1/4 mile, and it died.

Plenty of fuel, lights and heater work, so I have power, but it wouldn't turn over at all. No crank or anything. Just absolutely nothing when I turned the ignition.

I towed it back home so it's safe now.

Where should I start? What things do I start checking out and in what order?

Starter solenoid? Coil?

Thanks, guys!

pu7VPvM.jpg

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
I believe it would crank but not fire if it was the coil.
Do you have 12 volts?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Turn the headlights on, turn the key to start. Do the headlights
a) stay full brightness
b) go a little dim, barely noticeable
c) go really dim,
d) go out?

Do you hear a "clunk" from under the hood when you try to start it? Can you tell if the clunk is just the solenoid or the starter?

Have you tried jumping the solenoid (battery to "S" post), be sure it isn't in gear when you try.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
If it quit while you were driving, and now the starter doesn’t even turn I would suspect an engine ground problem. Check your negative battery cable where it bolts to the block...

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
I think could be those rear fenders, you're going to need to cut em out to get'r to run again.
Bwahahahaha

BroncoChicken

Mine did that once, the ignition module went out. Plugged in a new once and it fired right up.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Beautiful Bronco.

I would start with post 4. You need to look at what would affect both systems at the same time. Loss of battery power to the ignition and starter system would cause both issues at the same time. Depending on what you find would decide were to look next. Get some voltage readings and report back. Don't assume anything.

Don't get sidetracked. For example a bad starter won't make it quit running while you're driving. Just like a bad ignition module won't stop the motor from cranking over. Both these systems share some components and that's were you want to start testing.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What they all said.
The only things on the truck that would commonly effect cranking the starter are:

1. Ignition switch.
2. Neutral safety switch (if applicable).
3. Jumper wire for neutral safety switch delete (if applicable).
4. Battery cables.
5. Starter relay/solenoid.
6 Starter.
7. The wiring between the switch and the relay.
8. The wire that feeds power to the switch. (Yellow from the factory, or Red commonly with aftermarket harnesses.

Since this is a '69 it would not have had either a neutral safety switch OR a delete jumper from the factory. But is this aftermarket wiring, or factory original?

The main culprits in that above list that could normally have caused the initial stalling out without cutting off the other electrical stuff are:

1. Ignition switch. (if a complete failure (never seen that happen though) it could kill a running engine and disable the starter circuit)
2. Battery cables. (can break internally and still look good on the outside)
3. Starter relay. (can short out the Brown wire and kill the ignition)
4. The wire that feeds power to the switch.

So yeah, like has been said, ya gots some huntin' & testin' ta do.

Paul

ransil

Bronco Guru
Get a volt meter is the first thing .

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

laserfish

Cheapest, easiest first. Check your battery cables. I have had this happen to me and just needed to clean and tighten cables. Beautiful Bronco and i am jealous of that shop!!

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great Looking Bronco!

Ideally you send it to me and forget about it.

Start with cables and Starter Relay.

OP
OP
S

sk1nw4lk3r

Thanks everyone for the tips. Should be good advice, so I can spend the weekend through Tuesday tooling around on it to escape all of the family inside my house.

And thanks for the compliments on the truck and the shop. I am blessed beyond what I deserve.

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hello all. I just picked up another Bronco the other day and took it for a short ride. It started right up, I drove it about 1/4 mile, and it died.

Plenty of fuel, lights and heater work, so I have power, but it wouldn't turn over at all. No crank or anything. Just absolutely nothing when I turned the ignition.

I towed it back home so it's safe now.

Where should I start? What things do I start checking out and in what order?

Starter solenoid? Coil?

Thanks, guys!

pu7VPvM.jpg

Eric,
You seem to find the nicest Broncos right before Christmas, congrats! Love that Boxwood green.... Is this another present or are you keeping this one for yourself? Hope it’s a simple fix, then you can pretend you haven’t found it so you can continue to hide out in the garage ;D

Skytrooper15

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Al
That is a great looking Bronco but does it have an automatic transmission?If so DirtDonk asked about the neutral safety switch.That would kill the engine and also not let the engine turn over if bad so if an auto I would check that one item first.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
From here I can't see anything wrong with that Bronco at all!
So get in and turn the key again. It should fire right up then, right?;);D

Well, that's how it works sometimes when you're really trying to find a problem.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...That would kill the engine and also not let the engine turn over if bad so if an auto I would check that one item first.

Definitely worth a check. Bronco could have been highly modified at this point, with all sorts of stuff. And it looks like it sure has been worked on!
Though the NSS can't kill a running engine, he could still have multiple issues and that would certainly keep it from starting.

Not that our Broncos would ever throw dueling issues at us though. Right?%)

Paul