• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1977 Bronco emissions equip value?

jcb9089

Purchased a 77 that has original emissions setup, but I live in a county that doesn't require testing. What kind of value does a setup like this hold?

Attachments

• smog equipment.jpg
    smog equipment.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 86

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Purchased a 77 that has original emissions setup, but I live in a county that doesn't require testing. What kind of value does a setup like this hold?

Well for someone who needs it you might be able to name your price... I think you could easily get $100-$200 if it is a complete set up and someone was looking for it in CA.

For everyone else, it is just something to get rid of. Are you sure that your County will never require testing?

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I would hold on to it in case you ever want to sell your Bronco to someone who lives in a place where it does need to be tested

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Exactly. It's worth more as part of the future sale of the rig, or for you personally if you ever have to re-install it.
Yours does not look as "encumbered" as most '77's I've seen already. As mentioned, you might not even have it all currently. And the original air-cleaner housing would be a big integrated part of the emissions equipment. So there's at least that part missing.

I was thinking about $100 too, if it was all there and all worked. You going to take the catalytic converter off too? Or is it already gone?
Carb is stock? It's probably configured and jetted for use with the EGR and such, so ridding yourself of the mechanicals will usually entail quite a few related "tweaks" elsewhere.

have fun with it though. Enjoy.

Paul

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
Well for someone who needs it you might be able to name your price... I think you could easily get $100-$200 if it is a complete set up and someone was looking for it in CA.

For everyone else, it is just something to get rid of. Are you sure that your County will never require testing?

That's an excellent point. My '77 was originally sold in California, but was taken to Grand Junction, CO in the early '90s and didn't require smog testing.

But when I bought it, the stuff had been saved and was all put back on except for the cat. (And from what I understand, you're usually better off with a new one of those anyway, rather than experimenting with an old one, only to find that it's not working and has to be replaced anyway.)

Unless you're absolutely certain that you'll be keeping the Bronco for the rest of your life, and that it will never, ever need an inspection, you might be better off just putting it all away in a box somewhere rather than trying to sell it off for a few bucks.