• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

289 dual exhaust question

Dual exhaust, what's best!

• Bronco parts vendor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Local exhaust shop

Votes: 13 100.0%

• Total voters

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
What's the best way to go for changing the 289 single exhaust into dual exhast? James Duff has a system thta bolt straight on for just under two bills. Is something like this the way to go, or should I just go to a local shop.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D If you do it loco then if you have a problem you can go see the guy and get it fixed and if mail order then you must send it back and wait 3 or 4 weeks and that sucks big time good luck.;D ;D ;D Bill :cool: %) :p

giordano

Loc.
Victoria, BC
Depending on how the ordered kit fits.. (if you have headers or manifold)... you'll have to go to a local shop anyways to finish it off. I like the fact that a local shop can build it exactly how I want it too.

OP
OP
Bronco Sport

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
I was also wondering if it's better to have them turn out just infront of the back tires or after.

I would agree that local shop so far sounds like to way to go. What's the typical cost from the headers back?

74bronc

Bronco Guru
I paid $328 from manifold back, installing my Flowmaster mufflers, using 2.5" aluminized pipe w/crossover behind the transfer case. that was in southern california and everything is more expensive here, so take that into account.

72bronco

Bronco Guru
I paid about $400 for my dual exhaust, which also includes two Magnaflow mufflers. I've been running the setup for about 3 years and am very happy. I've heard a few complaints about some of the exhaust kits that the vendors sell, but I have no personal experience with them so it is only hearsay.

As far as routing goes, mine exits behind the tires angled to the corners and slightly down. I've heard that this is the best setup as it keeps fumes out of the cab, and I don't have any fume problems on my truck so it seems to work. There have been many posts complaining of fumes with exhasts that exit straight out he back or in front of the rear tires. My bronco is smelly enough without worrying about exhaust fumes. ;D

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
I paid $200 including flowmasters, Shop around Portland to get the best price , but look at their work. Route it like 72bronco did. Mine is the same and still has a minimal exhast odor, but is better than strait back like I had it before. If you lived in Seattle area , I would say go to Dan FAST Mufflers, I have to drive a bit myself to get them to work on my stuff (4 rigs), but they have decided that they want my bussiness so when I bring one in for a bad muffler that is still under warranty, they don't charge me labor! SOMEBEACH:eek: :eek: :eek:

67ster

Bronco Guru
Not knocking our vendors but check with the small independant shops in your area . Talk to car people about quality of work . The prices may vary for the quality of mufflers , the size of pipe , hangers and tips . I would suggest the tips exiting behind the tire angled down and back . I am going with a larger pipe single system myself .

bpatton74

Loc.
Alamogordo, NM
67ster said:
I am going with a larger pipe single system myself .

Me also.;D A local shop here is going to charge me about $150, but I have the flowmaster and tip.:p I am going to go over the frame at the front of the passenger side spring hanger, then cut a hole in the body just behind the rear wheel.;) I have seen this done on several trucks and I think it looks/sounds SWEET!:eek:

OP
OP
Bronco Sport

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
67ster said:
Not knocking our vendors but check with the small independant shops in your area . Talk to car people about quality of work . The prices may vary for the quality of mufflers , the size of pipe , hangers and tips . I would suggest the tips exiting behind the tire angled down and back . I am going with a larger pipe single system myself .

Why the single system?
Are you just staying stock, or is there some other advantage?

OP
OP
Bronco Sport

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
bpatton74 said:
Me also.;D A local shop here is going to charge me about $150, but I have the flowmaster and tip.:p I am going to go over the frame at the front of the passenger side spring hanger, then cut a hole in the body just behind the rear wheel.;) I have seen this done on several trucks and I think it looks/sounds SWEET!:eek:

Do you have any pics of this?