• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

289 Flywheel On A 351 W???

crawln68

Bronco Guru
I am installing a 351 W into my 68 which had a 289 in it. Can I use the 289 Bellhousing and flywheel on the 351 W? %)

CrazyHorse70

Loc.
Austin
I could be wrong, but I believe that you can use the flywheel on the 351. The bell housing should be the same, unless you have the 351 with a C-6 bolt pattern (fairly rare). Just measure the 351 pattern and compare to your bell housing. Does your 289 flywheel use a 10" or 11" clutch? You would be better off with the 11" for the 351. The 289 and the 351 should both be 28 oz. imbalance.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yes, it will work perfect.
Only other issue is to check the block for the hole for the clutch linkage. If it is there, great. If not, you will need to tap the hole and if there isn't metal to tap, buy/build a bracket.
Bellhousing is the same

OP
OP
crawln68

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Are you sure?

I just spoke to the guys at James Duff and they told me that wouldn't work. Has anyone out there actually done this and know for sure? I don't mean to question anybody or step on anyones toes, I just don't want to do something that may cause damage later. You know what I mean? I really appriciate your help! Thank you! ;D

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
pld2005 said:
I just spoke to the guys at James Duff and they told me that wouldn't work. Has anyone out there actually done this and know for sure? I don't mean to question anybody or step on anyones toes, I just don't want to do something that may cause damage later. You know what I mean? I really appriciate your help! Thank you! ;D
Not being to much of an engine man myself, and doing a 351 conversion I did a little digging on this issue.

You could be running into the internal/external balanced engine issue. Also the 28oz balanced engine as opposed to the 52 oz balanced engine. Do a search on this site for this issue and read up on the differences. You will then know for sure if you can do the swap

TOFIC

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't think it'll be a balance issue. All 289's should have the old 28oz imbalance, and to my knowledge, no 351/5.8's were ever changed to the 52oz of the H.O. 5.0's. That's what I remember anyway.
Not sure what will not work though. Unless Ford used a different bolt pattern so you couldn't use a 289 flywheel in a 351? Maybe as was metioned before, it was because the 351's needed more clutch? Or a tooth-count issue for the starter? Doesn't sound right, but you never know.

I'd never heard of a change in bolt patterns for the 351W to fit the C6 CrazyHorse. What you find are C6's with either the small (I-6/289/302/351W/C) or big (351M/400/460) pattern. Not the engines with a different pattern to fit the transmission. There may be exceptions (you DID say it was rare) but that's how I thought it worked.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
pld2005 said:

What did the guy at duff say? What part of it wouldn't work. I used all the old flywheel, clutch and bellhousing parts when I first put in my 351. All worked perfect.

As for the C6 bolt patterns, there is also a third pattern. The Diesel pattern.

OP
OP
crawln68

crawln68

Bronco Guru
The C-6 issue won't be an issue for me because I am going to the NP 435. The guys at Duff just said that it wouldn't work and I needed to count the number of teeth and messure the diameter of the 289 flywheel, then find a flywheel with the same amount of teeth and same diameter that is weighted properly for the 351 W. ?:? But based on everyones input here, it sounds as if the 289 flywheel will work just fine.

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
the guys at Duff's must be getting confused - all 289's that I know of were 28oz imballance and all 351W were 28oz imballance... I'm using a '74 302 flexplate (auto version of a flywheel) on my '83 351W engine with no issues.