• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3 on tree shift collar swap to a smooth one

Millercorey

So I’ve got most of the steering wheel, turn signal housing and wiring etc off, but I was wondering if there was a good video pertaining to replacing a 3 on the tree to a smooth collar for a floor shift. I’m pulling the collar off, and all the videos I’ve seen pertain to an auto column. To my surprise, a long tube started coming out with the collar! My guess is this comes all the way out because that’s there for the old 3 on the tree linkage? Just want to confirm before I’ve got too many pieces out to remember what it all is!!!

OP
OP
Millercorey

Millercorey

Here’s what I’m looking at

Attachments

• 10B727D1-74E2-4B3A-8432-4E5CC0378097.jpg
    10B727D1-74E2-4B3A-8432-4E5CC0378097.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 02C5CE61-9CC3-412D-BB5B-656B96BF450C.jpg
    02C5CE61-9CC3-412D-BB5B-656B96BF450C.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 34

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
To be honest, when I went from a 3 on a tree to a duff floor shifter on a previous Bronco, I just left the original collar on the column. Decided to hang my tach on the stub that was sticking out. May have also had a bit to do with my mechanic that did the work was pi$$ed of at how much work it was to put the floor shift in and I really did NOT want to ask him to change the collar out. Lol
Randy

OP
OP
Millercorey

Millercorey

I actually went ahead and pulled the tube out completely and reassembled with the left over pieces. Everything seemed to go back together logically, and I’m installing some new seats and painting the steering shaft so I won’t be driving for a bit. Just want to make sure I didn’t do anything completely wrong here before I drive down the highway!

OP
OP
Millercorey

Millercorey

I keep thinking I'm gonna do this swap but I've gotten too lazy in my old age.

So prior owner had already swapped to a grant wheel, so I think this was a bit simpler than coming from a stock wheel. However, I was very surprised how quick and easy it was to complete after I got over my fear of losing a bunch of little pieces. I even installed new turn signal wiring while I had it apart.

ericwilkison

Loc.
Portland
I picked up a smooth collar from the junk yard off a late 60's early 70's or so F150 with a manual trans. Cheap and plentiful at local pick and pull still. Bolts right on to the turn signal mount.