• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 stroker build or 351w

broncoracer

Loc.
oakhills,ca
What way would you guys or have you guys gone in this situation? have a 302 that runs in my 74 w/ headmans on it and a two barrel. should i pull it and invest some dough for a stroker or swap 351w

justinoshea

Contributor
Loc.
Gilbert, AZ
either way is going to take some dough. what is your goal with the motor and what are you going to do with it? street, trail, sand??

daveweil1

Loc.
Savannah
I swapped my almost stock original 302 for a built 351W (aluminum heads, aluminum intake, forged pistons, forged rods, 750cfm carb, HEI distibuto conversion) about $4,000 invested in the motor all together. Now it has way too much power and I wish I had put the 5.0 I had from an 88 Mustang and spent the rest of the money on other areas like seats and roll cage and radius arms. My motor will smoke all 4 35" tires and I regret doing it that way now.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I swapped my almost stock original 302 for a built 351W (aluminum heads, aluminum intake, forged pistons, forged rods, 750cfm carb, HEI distibuto conversion) about $4,000 invested in the motor all together. Now it has way too much power and I wish I had put the 5.0 I had from an 88 Mustang and spent the rest of the money on other areas like seats and roll cage and radius arms. My motor will smoke all 4 35" tires and I regret doing it that way now.

Way too much power? Is that possible? ;D

Go with the 351. Then you can stroke it bigger in the future. Or, come to the dark side and drop a 400 in it like some of us. ;) ;D :cool:

daveweil1

Loc.
Savannah
Too Much Power

I never thought I'd say that either, but after looking at the rest of the Varsity Invasion broncos yesterday I like the driveability they all had. I've run mine through mudholes and powered out where the Jeeps were stalling but I don't do that everyday and I don't have Trump money to have a daily driver and a trail rig. I just wish I had gone the other way now. It really just depends on what you want to use it for. Hindsight's 20/20

daveweil1

Loc.
Savannah
Do a 5.0 EFI conversion with a K&N FIPK, GT40heads and a Cobra R intake. I have been converted to the EFI church of Broncos. I've been on ebay all morning trying to find one.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
It all depends on what you are doing. stock 351 would be cheaper easier , blah, blah blahthan a stroked 302. You can stroke a 351 for just a little more than a stock rebuild and if you have to buy a crank anyway its almost a wash.

I did not really care for the 302 in my 71, until I fuel injected it. Now I will wait until it needs to be rebuilt and then I may just go back with another 302.

If I do stroke anything it wil be a 351 though.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Just because a motor is bigger doesn't mean that it can't be built to be "driveable". I built my 400 to be very driveable. It will just have gobs more torque down low than a 302.

OP
OP
B

broncoracer

Loc.
oakhills,ca
so do you start with a jacked up 351 to build a 400 and can it be driven on the street without trying to chase it all the time

fordtrucksrule

Hey if you live in oak hills i will give you a ride in my bronco. i just got done with a 351w swap and i love the motor. give me a call 760 987 9411 thanks robert

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
I never thought I'd say that either, but after looking at the rest of the Varsity Invasion broncos yesterday I like the driveability they all had. I've run mine through mudholes and powered out where the Jeeps were stalling but I don't do that everyday and I don't have Trump money to have a daily driver and a trail rig. I just wish I had gone the other way now. It really just depends on what you want to use it for. Hindsight's 20/20

I had to quote you because that's the first time I've ever heard that.
I suspect you don't like your cam, transmission or clutch, or maybe your throttle linkage needs modification.

Personally, I'd stroke a 351W. Displacement is like free horsepower and horsepower is good.

daveweil1

Loc.
Savannah
I think I misrepresented what I was saying. I love my motor. I just wish instead of dropping $4G on it when I really don't need it yet. I could have put that money somewhere else, like an NV4500 swap or a 5.0 EFI swap with a few minor upgrades. If you're not mud boggin' or racin' and you don't make $100K a year, I would spend the money elsewhere. If your Bronco's already got disc brakes, and everything else you want the go for it. Build a stroked monster puttin' out 500 HP if it makes you happy. I just wish I had gone another route with mine and it cost me a lot of money to learn that....

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I run the Ford Racing 351w 4-bbl crate motor (M-6007-S58) and for $2500 I think its the way to go. Everything is brand new and factory sealed (so to speak), you just supply your own carb and exhaust and it's basically ready to go. The 351w gets you the stroke you're looking for when stroking the 302, and for less money. With a Q-jet on top and stock manifolds, my rig scoots pretty good and I'm very happy with my decision.

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
so do you start with a jacked up 351 to build a 400 and can it be driven on the street without trying to chase it all the time

You buy a jacked up 351W to build a 393 Stroker if the rods can be salvaged, a 408 Stroker if the rods can't be salvaged.

On a jacked up 351 you would normally want to turn the crank and replace the pistons. For a little more money you can buy a stroker crank; then for a little less money you top your factory rods off with 302 (yes, 302) pistons. Presto, 393 Stroker.

If your jacked up 351 has jacked up connecting rods you buy a new crank, new 351 pistons and new connecting rods. Presto, a 408 stroker.

How you top either motor off is up to you: factory heads, new cast heads, new aluminum heads, high dollar aluminum heads.

393 Stroker is the most bang for the buck in my opinion. Any motor of any displacement can be built as tame as you want it. For example, factory 400M motors were dogs. 5.0 Mustang motors (302s) are pretty peppy. It's all a matter of what top end and what cam you put in them.

OP
OP
B

broncoracer

Loc.
oakhills,ca
thanks all, the 393 sounds really good to me or even the factory 351 in and done. ive got some money to spend, will let you guys know how it goes. rick

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
lot of guys like it. I run a stock 302 with EFI in my 71.

Its easy to fall into the HP trap.

Bigger badder engines break drivelines which mean bigger badder drivelines, more unsprung weight, worse ride, might as well put on larger tires, oops need more power again, and on and on and On. :)

I would like to build a 393 but the 302 EFI really does run nice and is much better that anything ford used in 1971. It is quick, has enough power to get arround the street, it is a little lacking in low end torque but gear ratio and rpm (NP435) makes up for that.

I had a corvette TPI 350 chevrolet engine in a CJ5. Unbelievable acceleration, but it was really a waste of a good engine. It would run and accelerate faster than you wanted to go in that short wheelbase. I am gradually talking myself out of the stroker to stay with a 302 EFI.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm thinking 351 minimum ,or stroke it and build it for GOBS of low end torque.