• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 stroker build or 351w

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I think it all depends on what you have to work with. unless you can find a good 351 to build, you may as well stroke that 302. doesn't cost much more than a standard rebuild, and it'd drop right back in with 0 hassle. but if you have the budget to pick up a good 351 to stroke, ideally that'd be the way to go. there's no replacement for displacement!
when/if my 302 ever craps out, I'm either doin a 347 (w/ '70 351W heads), a stroked 393w (world producuts windor jr. heads), or a 351C. depending on my mood at the time (probably the 351C though;D )

but for an easy and simple torquey bastard, 351w. preferably stroked

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
For hard core rock crawling a 302 would be better but if you plan on any freeway driving at 65+ it,s got to be a 351 or bigger, I have a 50+ mile commute to work one way with a pretty mean grade coming home (I.14 north from saugas to the A.V.)and my 302 was pitiful pulling the grade with 3.50s, with 4.11s it was better but running at 70 and 3800 rpms gets old fast. these are not 2800 lb mustangs.

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
All I will say is 351 I was never happy with my 5.0 . I wished I had stayed with my 170 or 250 that I swaped in. The 5.0 I have is SH&T and is sittin in my drive way any one want it come get it. Going to 5.8 EFI vrooomm vrooomm

Brian

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Its hard to beat a 351w, I put one in my 74 15 years ago and Its a pretty easy conversion. I got mine for free so all it cost me was the price of the oil pan, intake and the other odds and ends that go with it. Mine is 1969 351w punched 30 over and a few years back I went EFI. I really love it! My DD is a 66 Bronco with a straight 6 in it so when I get the big dog out its like night and day. Reading this thread gets me thinking that After 15 years of dedicated service, Maybe its getting to be time pull that baby out and turn it into a 393:cool:. Hmmmmm........ I did just get that check from Uncle Sam. Maybe I should do my part to stimulate the economy.