• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 with explorer crank pulley/serp setup timing pointer

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Have my project finally running....what are you all using for timing pointer? Had my Explorer damper done by Damper Dudes so it still has the trigger wheel but using Mustang injection and a TFI style distributor on my roller 351. Any insights as to what you've seen used for a pointer? Thanks in advance!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Interested to hear what others have done as well.
But it seems relatively simple enough to either make your own, or if you find one that will just bolt right on, do so, and then use timing tape to put the zero next to it when you are at TDC.
Not sure if there’s any place to bolt a normal factory style pointer to an Explorer timing cover, so you may end up making your own.

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
I believe I have the Explorer timing pointer on my 351, Damper Dudes did the explorer damper on mine as well. I have the TFI style distributor.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You’re right. I keep thinking there is a round sight hole but now I remember there is a sensor thingy with an actual pointer tip on it.
Those should would work great.
I still say timing tape as your friend though.

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Just the pointer no sensor correct Warren?

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just the pointer no sensor correct Warren?
That's what I did on my orange one ... just used a pointer off a mustang and it bolts on in place of the sensor that you are not using.

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
COOL....Just have to dig through a few boxes to see if I have one!

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
If I remember correctly, no sensor, just the pointer with its attaching hardware.

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
DOES anyone recall what size bolts hold that pointer to the cover? Looks to me like they are designated just for that and not cover to block bolts....thanks in advance!

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
WE be all set....have an Explorer one coming from Rock Auto....this way I know it works with the balancer

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think thread is sae but bolt head is a metric. Can't recall what.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
DOES anyone recall what size bolts hold that pointer to the cover? Looks to me like they are designated just for that and not cover to block bolts....thanks in advance!
I believe it’s 1/4-20 and they’re fairly short