• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4 link, ORI's, narrowed D60w/only 2.5" lift, 5"+WB stretch, 2" floor lower, P/S....,

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I don't believe you need more than 1 wideband. I have the choice of 1 or 2 and I run 1. You could always get another sensor and just swap the connector or get a second controller as well and run one to a gauge and compare the two but I think you're just gonna drive yourself crazy trying to understand the differences. Should be close enough.

As far as cylinder temp, you sure your timing is good? you also just might need to drive it a little to work everything out. Pretty sure my cylinder temps were a bit whacked at first and I spent too much time overthinking it. Although I also did have a bad ecu at first so don't remember my timeline right now.
All I know about my timing is at idle with my light I have about13-15btdc. (I will check it again also) that and the fuel pressure sensor.

He maxed timing at 36deg which for this engine is 5 deg too much, so that will change but I won't have a load on it till next Wed and we will change it then.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I don't believe you need more than 1 wideband. I have the choice of 1 or 2 and I run 1. You could always get another sensor and just swap the connector or get a second controller as well and run one to a gauge and compare the two but I think you're just gonna drive yourself crazy trying to understand the differences. Should be close enough.

As far as cylinder temp, you sure your timing is good? you also just might need to drive it a little to work everything out. Pretty sure my cylinder temps were a bit whacked at first and I spent too much time overthinking it. Although I also did have a bad ecu at first so don't remember my timeline right now.
What I'm not understanding is why if the timing is off how it's not affecting all cylinders for heat issues, just 3 of them. Up until the latest tune, the timing was locked on static at 15deg.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Locked in static as in fixed timing or that is your fixed advance and then the ecu adjusts from there. There is a difference, not sure how your sys does it, but I'd assume it's similar in that you set a fixed timing for your engine, but that's just a starting point to make sure the engine and the ecu match so that what the ecu does is truly what the engine sees.

If you're still on fixed timing, you shouldn't be and I'd bet you're not.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
How do the cylinders running hot align with the ignition system? Are all of the hot cyls on the + side of the wasted spark or all on the - side, or are they all mixed up?

Is it possible to set the base timing individually for each cylinder?

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Locked in static as in fixed timing or that is your fixed advance and then the ecu adjusts from there. There is a difference, not sure how your sys does it, but I'd assume it's similar in that you set a fixed timing for your engine, but that's just a starting point to make sure the engine and the ecu match so that what the ecu does is truly what the engine sees.

If you're still on fixed timing, you shouldn't be and I'd bet you're not.
I am not on the last 2 tunes.

He tried batch fire last night just to try to rule something??? out.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
How do the cylinders running hot align with the ignition system? Are all of the hot cyls on the + side of the wasted spark or all on the - side, or are they all mixed up?

Is it possible to set the base timing individually for each cylinder?
Yes, timing can be adj for each cyl. Correctly is above my pay grade. :)

I do not know if it's + or - but we tried batch fire last night-no difference except soooo lean I was pegged at 17afr on my wide band popping (backfiring) out the ps exhaust which never happened till he started leaning it out so much.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
running at 17 afr shouldn't make it pop out the back. bad timing would. I could be totally wrong but I've messed a shot tom with my timing as well as my afr working though some of my own issues and I've had worse afr that that when things weren't responding correctly but never any popping. just runs like shit. not sure how lack of fuel would make it pop...just not wanna run.

Any chance your fixed timing isn't set correctly? For you, that would mean your settings on your crank trigger would be wrong since you're running wasted spark using only crank trigger. Maybe you already checked, but can you put it in fixed advance and check with a timing light that it matches?

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
By chance was the TDC mark verified to actually be at TDC?

I know that you've checked the timing, what 13 Brazillion times now?, but confirming that the timing light and the fixed timing agree sounds like an important step. Unless you've already done that?

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
TDC already done several times TS. :)

Ben- no popping till he leaned it beyond lean AND he tried batch fire so I'm guessing fuel is igniting when it normally shouldn't be Like the last two times I've run it but never before.

The steps on the holley site for setting timing aren't step by step and I need EVERY :) step to be able to set timing at let's say 25 in the ECU to be able to check it with my timing light

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I’m trying to follow this post but it’s so far past me. I’ll keep following and try to learn from y’all.
Ain’t fixing to get rid of my 600 CFM carb though. It’s still simple enough for a simple mind like mine to understand. 😂

Randy

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
The instructions say stuff like lock out the induction. And yet there's no box or words or obvious places to that unless a 0-100 screen counts!

I will write up a good "How not to do it Brian's way, a step by step guide to Wasted Spark Terminator X installation on a big, small block Ford". :)

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Holley Terminator X, not quite "Plug & Play"

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
So tonight I find a good video on setting initial timing.

I'm following step by step on line and then my screen is totally different as I have the latest software and don't have the same drop down menus and options as Premier Motorsports who did the video so...

So, stuck again.

This is really getting old.

The fuel pressure sender is telling the ecu that it has 11 psi.

Getting closer under the hood. Have a couple 29ga sheetmetal covers on the cowl access howls.

Attachments

• 20240512_200658.jpg
    20240512_200658.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240512_200638.jpg
    20240512_200638.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240512_195019.jpg
    20240512_195019.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240512_200715.jpg
    20240512_200715.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240512_180055.jpg
    20240512_180055.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Absolutely know it has 43#.

I put the guage back on but in the software I can't delete the sensor or it's reading. Wth?
Maybe I have to cycle the ignition but I am done.

Last edited:

frdboy

Contributor
Holley doesn't use FP for any fuel calcs., it is only for data logging/info

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Thanks, I can let it flash all it wants then! :)