• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

74 302 upgrade to fuel injection questions

NJBronco

I'm not quite ready for it in project yet. Figured I'd start reading on what to do and what's needed. My 74 bronco sport has the stock 302 with 2 barrel and the c4 tranny. I have a buddy giving me a maf computer out of an 89 mustang. My motor needs a rebuild and all new accessories on the belt. So I'm trying to figure out what to do. I think it makes more sense to find a newer motor with everything bolted to it and rebuild that. If I rebuild mine what do I need? I know the upper/lower intake. Fuel rails, injectors and wiring harness. Is that all though? My motor would just to fi by replacing the it takes and fuel side? For some reason I feel like something's different Can anyone point me to a good write up or provide me with some good advice on what to do here

investigreg

If you need a rebuild, why not just swap a newer 5.0 in? Post '85 you get a roller cam/ lifters, big plus. For the cost of a good rebuild, you could be swapping in motor and likes from the same application and know what/where everything is.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
To do efi on your old one, the cam would need changed to the efi firing order.

This is incorrect. Mine is a stock '73 302 with various pieces from both a '91 and '94 Mustang efi and neither the cam nor the firing order was changed. Been like this for 6 yrs and it runs and idles perfect.

Casey835

This is incorrect. Mine is a stock '73 302 with various pieces from both a '91 and '94 Mustang efi and neither the cam nor the firing order was changed. Been like this for 6 yrs and it runs and idles perfect.

I am curious about this also. Can I just put the explore EF on top of my 73 302? I would prefer not to change over to the sserp set up.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I am curious about this also. Can I just put the explore EF on top of my 73 302? I would prefer not to change over to the sserp set up.

If your wanting to use the entire Explorer EFI on your 302, you'll need to also use the serpentine set up. The Explorer EFI uses a crank position sensor. The PIP wheel is part of the damper and the sensor mounts to the timing cover. You'd also need to re balance the damper to 28oz. The timing cover and damper are only compatible with the rest of the serpentine system.

JW0747 Did you change the gear on your distributor?

Dyehard, you bring up a good point, and will get expensive if overlooked. If you use the stock 302 cam, you'll need to use a TFI distributor that has a cast gear. The standard TFI distributors have a steel gear that goes with the roller type cams, they have a steel drive gear.

Mark

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I would get an Explorer motor and put the Mustang injection on top of that - you could look at the 351W at this time as well... Food for thought- my build covers all the details.