• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Advice on Cleaning Front Axle Housing

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In the process of upgrading axles shafts and found some dirt and debris in the axle housing sections. Inside the pumpkin is clean, just need to clean the axle housing sections. Was thinking of removing the diff cover, and running a bottle brush through the axle housing and flushing everything out with something mild. I don't plan on removing the locker.

Any suggestions? What should I use as a cleaner?

JKH67302

Contributor
I've use a long piece of all thread and used washers and nuts to sandwich a rag to the end of it. (Kind of hard to explain) Put the other end in a drill. When it spins it cleans it up nicely. Run it back and forth a few times.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

JKH67302

Contributor
Oh wait I missed the "leaving the carrier in place". Nevermind. It worked good with an empty housing!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One of those dryer vent cleaner brushes would work really well , use a drill and tidy it up

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you're leaving the differential and (obviously) the seals inside, then you don't want to use anything like a bottle brush action that is going to push stuff inside. After all, "inside" is inside can far too easily become inside the differential itself.
Nope, best to do something similar to what JKH said (but not exactly in this case) and create a "scraper" that you can insert all the way without pushing anything further in, and then use it to pull all the junk outward only.
One of the members here posted theirs up just last week I think. They used all-thread too I think, but you can use anything from an old broom handle to a wooden dowel to all-thread or whatever you have on hand.

If you don't already have something the right shape and size, then cut a large washer in half, or maybe just lop off a third of it and attach it to the end of the handle.
From there you can insert it into the tube with the flat side down so as not to push anything inward, then spin it 180 and use the rounded end to pull junk out..
You want a pretty good size washer, but not so big that it's a tight fit into the tube. Just make it easier if you can maneuver it a bit when it's inside.

If you really want to flush it, you can still remove the cover and use some kind of liquid action in the tube. Then anything that does make it past the seal lip can be cleaned out of the bottom of the diff housing.
Just be careful as you can and not flush with power and blow gunk all over the insides.

I think I have that described in basic terms. Look for that other thread and see if the people that have actually done it a few times can add more details.

paul

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the input guys, will let you know how it goes this weekend.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Finally got the axle housing cleaned out. Found a bottle brush at Home Depot with a long wire handle. Connected it to my cordless drill and went to town. Turned out pretty clean.

Before and after---

Attachments

• IMG_1072.jpg
    IMG_1072.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1073.jpg
    IMG_1073.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 34

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice. Big difference.
Still just that same old rough finish, but no dirt and grit at least.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Nice. Big difference.
Still just that same old rough finish, but no dirt and grit at least.
Yep, all loosened and pushed up against the seal, ready to be shoved in by the axle shaft, and should be leaking like a sieve in a week…

If it were mine, I’d drop the carrier and very carefully wipe the seal lip, and the cruddy surface between the seal lip and the guide tube. Check to make sure that the rubber is soft and pliable. Visually inspect the lip seal spring and ensure that your drill powered bottle brush did not cause any unintended issues.

If you are being paid flat rate, you should also install new seals. If it’s your own project, you might get lucky and it won’t leak.

I can’t afford to have them come back if they leak for a $10 part, and $400 labor.

But I’ve also seen a ton that never leak too.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The seals were replaced a couple years ago when I did the gear change. I marked the length of the axle on the bottle brush so I didn't go too far to push the debris into the pumpkin. The pic looks like there is a clump of junk there but it looked better in person. Fingers crossed. I put it all back together.

papy

Contributor
i used this on the end of a drill. went in from the both ends- worked well

Attachments

• hone.jpg
    hone.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 7

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Finally got the axle housing cleaned out. Found a bottle brush at Home Depot with a long wire handle. Connected it to my cordless drill and went to town. Turned out pretty clean.

Before and after---
How about a pic of the brush you used? I have a leaky seal and need to clean the tubes when I get her apart to replace it.