• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Alternator Ground

gr8scott

Bronco Guru
I know the alternator is grounded through its mounting points, but would like to add a ground wire. Would 10 ga. wire suffice?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Generally, I have been told that whatever size wire is feeding the Alt, the ground should be the same size...
Looks like you have a 130 amp G3... 10G might not be enough?

OP
OP
gr8scott

gr8scott

Bronco Guru
Hmmm...that's kind of what I was thinking. Think I'll up it to 6 ga.

EDIT: Actually, since my main charge wire is 4 ga., should I match it?

Last edited:

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
At least.

Assume the worst - the block ground fails in some way, leaving nothing but your alternator ground wire. Then you use the starter, which can pull over 250A (again, worst-case). An undersized alternator ground wire could catch fire. It's actually more dangerous to add parallel ground wires than to simply maintain the originals.

OP
OP
gr8scott

gr8scott

Bronco Guru
I'm thinking between the spacer and the case, so it makes contact with the case.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I think there is a ground lug area cast into the back of the alternator, near the bearing. Why not just loop that to the battery ground?

OP
OP
gr8scott

gr8scott

Bronco Guru
The volcano is on Hawaii island, or the Big Island as we call it. And its flowing like a flash flood river all the way to the ocean.
When it comes into contact wit seawater it creates LAZE (lava and have) which in a nutshell is a hydrochloric acid plume that carries
fine particles of volcanic glass. Nasty stuff. I live on Maui, one island over. There's a member here that lives there, can't
remember his name. Hope he's okay.

[youtube]NsFc95JZey4[/youtube]

Attachments

• 20180624_105441.jpg
    20180624_105441.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 49

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The threaded boss on the block right behind the alternator.
So, if you're going to use the same point of ground that the engineers did with the mounting bolt, I can't see a ground path improvement.
Just make sure the bolts are tight and you'll have the same ground.
All you're going to do is add a big wire.