• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AOD / 4R70w swap questions

drroy

So I already own a hydraulic AOD. I bought it for $40, it’s in my garage. C4 column shift is in the rig. 33’ tires ( measure 31.5”) 4.5 gears. I have a local seller of a core 4r70w off 2005 f150. Hoping to get for less than $100. Trying to get an overdrive tranny with best gear ratios and OD drum/ band combo in the $1200 range. Plan on rebuilding myself, where am I potentially going wrong here.

doran4x

Contributor
What engine is the f150? If modular it will not work with 302.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

drroy

Planing on something like

https://imgur.com/gallery/m3lzLxn

m3lzLxn

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Potentially going wrong, I would say starting with the AOD
A stock 4R70W is a very capable transmission. You never stated when engine you are planning on using.
Unless you say something about a monster engine, a stock 4R70W with a stand alone controller would be my pick.

OP
OP
D

drroy

Potentially going wrong, I would say starting with the AOD
A stock 4R70W is a very capable transmission. You never stated when engine you are planning on using.
Unless you say something about a monster engine, a stock 4R70W with a stand alone controller would be my pick.

Hoping to avoid spending $600 on a controller. Fine with using a TV cable to Controll transmission. Engine is 302 650holley avenger. Long tube headers, dual exhaust, Maybee cam? IDK engine came with truck. Literally trying for budges-est build, have less than a thousand miles on drive shafts, which where lengthened/ shortened for c4, which were shortened / lengthened for 5.5 down to 3.5 lift when I got truck, those shafts had less than 10 miles before I began frame off resto

OP
OP
D

drroy

To make that last post clear, in order to swap c4 for hydraulic AOD case with 4r70w internals, I have to spend a few bucks, trying for as few as possible, ok with it not being the best, just want better.:
$40 AOD for the case and some internals ( this is all I have now)
$75ish modular 4r70w for the internals
$120 for aod rebuild kit Maybee x2 if I need seals/ clutches? from 4r70w kit
$250 Drive shafts
$550 for d20 adapter/ output shaft/ spud shaft kit
$95 locar cable kit
$$ misc this always adds up, this is next winters project so spread that out over time. As far as the wife knows this is not a line item

Last edited:

Hazegray

I've had my AOD since 2006 and never had any problems with it. Mind you, I don't wheel hard, but it's simple and works for me.;) On the rebuild, make sure you get the best clutch packs and servo available, not to mention a good torque converter. Set your TV cable with a pressure gauge and good to go!