• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AOD Transmission cooler lines

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
1/4” NPSM: 18 threads per inch, OD measures .517"-.526"

Note that straight pipe threads, unlike tapered pipe thread do not provide any sealing function. Typically, a design that utilizes a straight pipe thread will incorporate a sealing features, like an oring to facilitate fluid sealing.
View attachment 902101
Correct, and if you look at the factory 1/4 NPS to 5/16 SAE inverted flare fittings, you will see a shoulder machined into the fitting flange. The transmission case is aluminum and spot faced at the boss. The factory figured out that this was a bad design, so they goop it up with threadlocker to prevent loosening. I prefer a copper washer in this application...unless you use thread locker. (which I hate.) The nylon washer is not strong enough to allow you to tighten the fitting to prevent loosening.

And yes, I would really like to see an o-ring interface on that fitting too.