• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ARB Compressor Issue

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Just installed a new ARB front locker and dual compressor. When I started the compressor it ran fine. When I turned on the locker switch it stopped and I was checking for leaks when the compressor started making a weird moaning noise. Now the compressor won’t even work on its own. I checked fuses and they look fine. Any ideas of what I should be looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Interested to hear what others say, and what you ultimately find.
It almost sounds like you have an initially defective part.
Luckily ARB is not notorious for faulty parts normally, but they are not immune to either.
I have seen faulty compressors, and even faulty ARB Lockers, along with faulty installations many times.
But my last real experience with them was too long ago to be of any help here.

Good luck

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Sounds like the compressor took a dump on you. I’ve had a regular compressor that was used for construction and did practically the same as you described. Generally, the smaller compressors are of the oil free variety and are subject to failure, so wouldn’t surprise me if that’s what it is.

Randy

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The dual compressor pulls a LOT of amps. If there is a weak ground or power supply it won't work right. Mine pulls about 70 Amps.

The initial fill starts with no head pressure. The cycling back on, the compressor has to start against the remaining pressure in the system. Fighting the head pressure without the momentum of the motor already spinning.

I would be looking at everything in the power circuit. From if the battery is good. Not just static voltage, but what is the loaded voltage?

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
The dual compressor pulls a LOT of amps. If there is a weak ground or power supply it won't work right. Mine pulls about 70 Amps.

The initial fill starts with no head pressure. The cycling back on, the compressor has to start against the remaining pressure in the system. Fighting the head pressure without the momentum of the motor already spinning.

I would be looking at everything in the power circuit. From if the battery is good. Not just static voltage, but what is the loaded voltage?

Nailed it. Was testing for leaks in the system, so I was just running it in the key on position. Needed to to listen for air leaks. Ran the battery low. Back in business. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk