• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Backspacing - Wheel/Tire Fitment with '77 Dana 44

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did some searches and didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Im looking at Raceline 17x9.5 Monster Beadlocks with 4" backspacing with 35x17x12.5" tires.

I have a 3.5" Lift, 1"Body Lift and a 1977 Dana 44 with Duff Long Arms.

Will the rims clear the steering knuckles and tie rod ends?

Will the tires rub on the rear inner fender wells or the Duff Radius Arms with this backspacing?

Im currently running 15x10" wheels with 3.25" backspacing and everything clears nicely.

Thanks,

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Those rims will easily clear the knuckles and tie rods. As far as rubbing up front, they will likely rub on the front shocks under extreme articulation. You can limit your turning radius accordingly to keep that in check. They will likely rub on the rear fender wells also, depending on what type of trails you drive. Bump stop height is critical as well. I run 37's, with 17x8.5” with 3.50” BS. I have about 1/4” of clearance between the tire and rear fender well at full stuff. I usually run 8-10 psi in the rear.
Most people seem to run wheel spacers on 17” wheels with 4” or more BS.

Mark

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Mark, very helpful info. When off-roading I do rocks and dunes and not big on wheel spacers so I should pass on this set of wheels.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I am running the same Raceline wheel size you mentioned on my 77 with stock disk brakes, TRO, 35"x 12.5" tires with no issues but... I am running a 2" body lift with a 3.5" suspension lift and Duff Long Arms that give me more clearance. You should be fine and can adjust the turn stops on the D44 to limit any rubbing.

Attachments

• Johns 1977 Bronco.jpg
    Johns 1977 Bronco.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am running the same Raceline wheel size you mentioned on my 77 with stock disk brakes, TRO, 35"x 12.5" tires with no issues but... I am running a 2" body lift with a 3.5" suspension lift and Duff Long Arms that give me more clearance. You should be fine and can adjust the turn stops on the D44 to limit any rubbing.

Interesting, exactly what I have except I only have 1" BL and been thinking of going 2". So you have no issues in full flex and have the rear wheel stuffed up into the fenders? Nice rig by the way!

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I wheeled my 77 hard for a couple years before I bought my 70 trail rig. I never had any problems and don't use spacers. I am running the BC Bronco hemi steering linkage over the stock 77 disk knuckles. It's close to the wheel but clears.
I am running 38's on my trail rig with the same lift but I had to cut a lot out to clear as well as running tall bump stops.

Attachments

• RampBackground.jpg
    RampBackground.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 42

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
77 here! so based on the above info, a 17" wheels with 4.5" BS will not clear my knuckles. I really don't want to run any sort of spacer since our's aren't hubcentric.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It’s the 15’s and most 16’s that don’t fit.
There are probably some 17’s that might rub, but so far most 17’s clear due to their larger diameter.
That’s the takeaway from the previous answers. The one caveat would be JohnJohn’s use of spherical rod ends (“Heim joints”) which might give a little more clearance. Or might not…
By the same token, the use of larger tie-rod ends than stock might cause some interference.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
posting up pics with the new wheels test fitted. 17" 4.5" bs is close but still works with 77 knuckles.

Attachments

• 63D390CF-BD5A-49BC-9A23-82308CBEB331.jpeg
    63D390CF-BD5A-49BC-9A23-82308CBEB331.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 34

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Excellent. Thanks for the follow up. What wheels are those again?

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
Excellent. Thanks for the follow up. What wheels are those again?
they're the new Raceline wheel modeled after their 951 forged beadlock wheel

951MC Ryno
17x9 BS 4.5

for anyone curious these poke about 13mm less than my 8" with 3.5" BS wheel.