• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

wheel backspacing.

Jolly Roger

Looking for wheels and found a set of Fuels that I like but they have 4.5 BS. Anybody running a 17" wheel with 4.5 backspacing. Want to make sure there will be no clearance issues. Was trying to stay around 4 BS or under but Fuel doesn't go below 4.5 that I can find.

Thanks

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Looking for wheels and found a set of Fuels that I like but they have 4.5 BS. Anybody running a 17" wheel with 4.5 backspacing. Want to make sure there will be no clearance issues. Was trying to stay around 4 BS or under but Fuel doesn't go below 4.5 that I can find.

Thanks
I'm running a 12.5x 35" tire on 15x8" KMC wheels with a 3.25 backseat and they're close to rubbing with the steering cranked all the way over. The Bronco has such a tight turning radius, more will depend on your tire size and width. They're are lots of EBs running Fuels so they must offer a shorter backset.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk while I'm supposed to be working

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The wheel itself will not have any clearance issues. Depends on how wide of a tire that will rub on the Radius arm. 12.50 will rub and a 285 slightly. You can adjust the stops to help.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Rubbing on what? What's your tire size? What's your lift? You can stop any wheel on arm rubbing with the bump-stops on the front axle.

OP
OP
J

Jolly Roger

Tire size and lift height is what I'm trying to figure out. I want to do a coilover and I have a buddy who has some old tires in different sizes that He will let me borrow to mount and put on to determine how large of a tire I can run without scrubbing on the body. But first I need to decide on the wheel I'm going use. Then I can start experimenting and mocking up. I know I'm going to use a 17" because of the availability of more tires and wheels in that size. So that much is decided. After that it's up in the air. I may be going about this all wrong because I don't really know what I'm doing but I am plowing forward!

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I've found that if you run 4" BS or more, the back tires will rub on the sides of the wheel wells at decent articulation. That's with 35's and 3.5" springs. You can limit your up travel and adjust the steering stops up front to use rims with more BS. But that's taking steps backwards. 3.25"-3 3/4" is what works with 35-37's. Without having a huge lift and limiting your travel. Or you could buy wheel spacers for all the rest of the 4+ BS rims. That's the worst option IMO.

Mark

OP
OP
J

Jolly Roger

Thanks garberz, that helps me narrow down wheel choices to those that offer BS under 4".

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Thanks garberz, that helps me narrow down wheel choices to those that offer BS under 4".

Just be aware that this is my personal experience dealing with a few Broncos set up similar to my build. Other members have questioned my findings, but their experience may be with rigs set up differently. All my findings are based on 35” tires, 3.5”-4.5” leafs and 2” body lift. The rear tires have always been more of an issue than the front. Full width axles are a whole different story here. Maybe others will chime in with different results dealing with EB width axles and wheel BS.

Mark

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I am planning on getting some Dirty Life Beadlocks in 15x7 with 4.5" BS. I am being told they will work so hoping. I will report back. Tires will be 35x12.5x17.

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
I have 37s on 17x9 wheel with 2.5 backspacing. Works very well off road. It's in the shop now waiting for me to fix a couple things. Your free to come take a look.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Got the rims yesterday and test fitted. They fit but are tight in the front. 17x9 4.5" BS. Only thing I had to do is I have Stonecrusher heim steering. I had to change to tie rod under instead of over to clear the rim. Hopefully have tires this week and can check them.

Attachments

• IMG_1276.jpg
    IMG_1276.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 84

Hoochdog

How long were you waiting to get the wheels? I have been waiting 2 months to get them.

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
backspacing

From my experience 3.5 inch backspacing works the best on early bronco

Attac

Contributor
For anyone looking for 17" rims with3.5" backspace
A company called custom offsets specialize in those
I just bought 5 17x9 with 3.5" BS for 150 ea. They have a few different models to choose from
Chuck