• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Balancing large tires...

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
Who does a good job of balancing large truck tires (38X14.50R16) around Central Texas? Also, what should I expect to pay to have five tires mounted and balanced with new stems?

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
hmmm i would say West Texas Off Road would....but I don't know if they do it for customers that much. The Porper way to balance large tires it try to off set a high side on the rim, opposite a heavy sided tire so little balancing wieght is used. It takes a long time, but it will get you better results then half a pound of weight slapped on your tire. I would say if you are any where near San Angelo Texas give WTO a call and see who they recomend.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) You should be able to get it done and a tire shop that dose big trucks ect. good luck ;D ;D ;D Bill :D :cool: :p

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
mustangmarty said:
Who does a good job of balancing large truck tires (38X14.50R16) around Central Texas? Also, what should I expect to pay to have five tires mounted and balanced with new stems?

Find someone who knows how to balance using sand. I had mine done that way (37s) and it works great. No ugly wheel weights

OP
OP
M

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
j.r.nice said:
Find someone who knows how to balance using sand. I had mine done that way (37s) and it works great. No ugly wheel weights

Sand??? How does that work?

OP
OP
M

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
wildbill said:
%) %) %) You should be able to get it done and a tire shop that dose big trucks ect. good luck ;D ;D ;D Bill :D :cool: :p

When you say "big trucks," do you mean like 18-wheeler big?

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
You can get them mounted at any tire shop. Balancing presents some interesting challenges. Traditional wheel weights don't work so hot, those tires are typically so out of round, that they are ineffective.

The popular idea now is to use balancing powder. It falls into the voids, and through centrifugal force, will move into the out of balance ares of the tire making it balanced. It's spendy at ~$10 per tire. You can get it at a tractor trailer supply.

Some folks use sand, playsand, to do the same thing. Any moisture in the compressed air though leaves it kind of clumpy, and it can act funny.

Another popular idea is to use BB's. Regular old BB's that you get at any sporting goods store, I'm told that one carton (~1500) BB's per tire, does a good job. You'll hear them when you slow down, and it can be fun to mess with any new passengers while they plink on the wheel. (you're not going to hear them over the sound of the tires when you're moving)

I've heard of using golf balls, but I don't see how they can be that effective, they're too large I think.

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
mustangmarty said:
Sand??? How does that work?

Before the tire is sealed, they dump a specified amount of sand inside then air it up. The guy who did mine said he learned about it down south (Alabama?) and it's used on the big rigs.
I think he used about 6-8 oz of sand in mine. As the tire rotates, it (sand) apparently finds the "low points" and goes there. I imagine someone with a science or physics background might be able to add some spin to that.
My tires are about 1 year old and I have no complaints. Dont know if anyone else has heard of this, but it seems to work. Guess I'm the guinea pig.

J. R.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
$40 each sounds a little high just to mount them up. I usually just pay about $10 or so to have them mounted with no balance.

That $40 probably includes lifetime rotate and balance and stuff like that.

They'll likely charge you a little more for a 'heavy tire handling fee' at a typical auto tire store. I don't anticipate that being much. Let the BS flow, they'll make you all kinds of deals if you yak with them.