• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BC high output altinator

OP
OP
B

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
Thanks to RRaaayy2 and his part number, my local auto parts supplier got the pully for me for around $22. It fits perfect and the alt maintains 14 volts at 800 rpm with the headlights and heater fan on high. At 600 rpm with them on, the voltage drops off. No more belt slippage. Engine idle set at 850. Problem Solved.
Thanks RRRAAAYYY2.

YellowBronc

Bronco God
I'm having the same problem with my setup. I'll have to measure my current pulley to see what I have. In the meantime, bad 68, could you post the part # of the pulley you ordered? Also, what store did you get it from? Napa, etc?

Glad this worked for ya.

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
I'm having the same problem with my setup. I'll have to measure my current pulley to see what I have. In the meantime, bad 68, could you post the part # of the pulley you ordered? Also, what store did you get it from? Napa, etc?

Glad this worked for ya.

Why dont you give Chuck a minute, I am sure he will be able to beat the $22 price. He works hard to get products for you all, same as some of the other suppliers here too, so when you can, should try and support him.

OP
OP
B

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
Part # 24-1104. The parts supplier is an independant local shop, not a national chain but an electrical shop or similar should be able to get it for you. I live in Washington state and I doubt I could have got the part the next day from Texas for the same price.
The pully that came on the alt was a double grove but no way to use 2 belts on it. Looked funny and didn't work properly. The grove was to wide and the belt rode too deep in the pully. Like I said problem solved.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I have been depending on the alt. manufactrue for pulleys that come on the alt. they will put whatever pulley I ask for. The one they are using now is for a f-150 with v-belt so should work the same. If you guys don't tell me I don't know there is a problem. Rrraaayyy gave me the part number and I am working on getting it now. Will let you know.

Last edited:

YellowBronc

Bronco God
Chuck, sorry to make you think you have a major problem. I actually did the late mustang alternator upgrade on mine several years ago. My problem is not caused by you. I tend to think quicker than I type and after re-reading my post I can see where you thought you have several alternators out there with problems.

Mine has only recently started doing it at start. Now to let you know, I'm an older guy so "recently" actually means for a year or so. ;D;D Everything works fine, but it's that annoying initial start that it squeels. I just happen to run across this thread and seen a posible solution to the annoyance.

I'll go out a measure my pulley to see what size I have. If my memory serves me correctly, I took the original pulley off of the alternator and put it on the 3G.

Anyway, sorry for any confusion Chuck.

OP
OP
B

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
Chuck, I didn't mean to make it sound like I got a bad deal from BC. We are all customizing these rigs with every combination of parts imaginable. My combination wasn't working and with the help of the vast wealth of information avialilble on this site, I got MY problem soved. The reason for posting this information is so that guys with similar problems can find a solution.
Now, truth be told, if only you had sent me a free hat with my order it wouln't have had to come down to this!
P.S. I could also use a 4 wheel disc brake kit.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Thanks guy and RRRAAAYYY. The input is good, it cost me no more to fix this problem once I know it was a problem. This small problem fix doesn't hurt anyone else.