• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Automatic Transmission for 4x4 Bronco running a 351 Windsor

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
The 4r70 that will bolt up to your sbf is from an Exploder '98 & up behind a 5.0 and 4x4.

You will need a controller and an adapter to mate it your the stock D20 tcase.

OP
OP
P

purduerider

Contributor
The transmission has 3 starter mounting bolts. That transmission is for a modular motor.
That block plate you have is a 2-bolt starter, which matches the starter you have. And the windsor
It should not be a surprise that a transmission that has the wrong bolt pattern won't fit the engine.

At this point you need the correct transmission case. Listed the sources above, 5.0 v8 (pushrod) engines and 3.8 or 4.2 V6 engines. Those cases fit your engine perfect. Identifiable by the 2 starter mounting bolts.

Do NOT get a transmission from a modular engine. 4.6 or 5.4 will be like what you have. No V6 transmissions (except the before mentioned 3.8/4.2) either. Where to get one depends on what is available to you. Pick a part or other self service salvage yards, various online market places, Local transmission shop may have a good case they would sell (and maybe even put your 4R75W guts into). You might even find them at your local Ford dealer?
So I already bought the wrong transmission but he’s gonna swap it out on Monday. The problem is up until now I couldn’t identify how to specify what I need. I’m gonna ask him to give me the 75 guts in the proper 70 housing. Do you think that will work? Do you have links to plate and adapters?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Do you have links to plate and adapters?

You have the correct plate. It's the one you're holding in the photos you posted. Get the correct transmission and use the plate you have.

No adapter to the engine side. If you're talking about the Dana 20 adapter nvrstuk mentioned, you can find that here:

OP
OP
P

purduerider

Contributor
I did it! I went back to the transmission shop and gave back the one that didn’t fit. I asked him to source the right one and he basically told me it’s almost impossible to find a 4r75 that would fit but he could get me a 4r70. I paused for a second and thought hmmmnnn let me check the local junk yards for a core in order for him to reman. Wouldn’t you know it the local junk yard had a 2006 f150 v6! Only problem, no tools and I was over 1 hour away from my office. Went to the local autozone and went to work. 5 hours later I got the tranny baby!!!

Unfortunately, the torque converter bolt was stripped and I couldn’t take it out. Anyway, thank you so much to you guys for the help. I already have the adapter from wild horses. Just need to get the correct pcm. Which should I get? I bought the one off the f150 I was picking from but I don’t think the programming is going to match?

Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
This is from my post at the top of the page...

"The 4r70 that will bolt up to your sbf is from an Exploder '98 & up behind a 5.0 and 4x4.

You will need a controller and an adapter to mate it your the stock D20 tcase."

You need a trans that has the SAME bolt pattern as your sbf Windsor. Ford doesn't make things simple, easy or cheap as they changed bellhousing bolt patterns and most everything else every couple years just to drive us nuts! :(

You need a trans from a 5.0. If you want to connect it to your transfer case you need a trans that had a t-case bolted to it from the factory. so a 4x4 like mentioned a few posts ago.

Go to USShift and look at the 4r70W controller.

Sorry it's turning into a fiasco BUT you need to get the correct trans and then it's no problem.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
FYI, they never made a 4R75W that will bolt to a small block. The 4R70W is the only one they made that will.
When Ford wanted to put the 4R70W behind the 5.4 they needed to beef it up slightly. Hardened planetary gears and a couple more PSI of line pressure were added, and to designate the changes the name was bumped from 70 to 75. Really nothing special, and the parts can be swapped by any competent transmission builder.

OP
OP
P

purduerider

Contributor
FYI, they never made a 4R75W that will bolt to a small block. The 4R70W is the only one they made that will.
When Ford wanted to put the 4R70W behind the 5.4 they needed to beef it up slightly. Hardened planetary gears and a couple more PSI of line pressure were added, and to designate the changes the name was bumped from 70 to 75. Really nothing special, and the parts can be swapped by any competent transmission builder.
There are two speed sensors on the tranny i picked up, thats a big difference...

OP
OP
P

purduerider

Contributor
Now I have to pick the right headers, cats and exhaust. For me its all about sound. Any rec's?

OP
OP
P

purduerider

Contributor
Did you end up with a 4r70 out of a F150 with 5.0, with 4x4???
I ended up with a 4r75 out of a 2006 f150 v6 2x4. Since I am having it fully rebuilt the guy rebuilding can make it a 4x4.

Any headers, cats, exhaust and X back piping recommendations?

nvrstuk

Contributor
How is it going to bolt up to your SBF?

nvrstuk

Contributor
THAT'S what I keep saying and why I keep asking over & over...

If your tranny builder can say he can make that 4r75 fit behind a small block ford then he should not be building your transmission!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I ended up with a 4r75 out of a 2006 f150 v6 2x4. Since I am having it fully rebuilt the guy rebuilding can make it a 4x4.

Any headers, cats, exhaust and X back piping recommendations?
That transmission will work. But it isn't a 75, it is just a 70. The 75 was only used behind the 5.4 V8

The later transmissions got an extra turbine speed sensor (input shaft speed sensor). Not used on the stand alone controller. Used in factory applications for things like watching for clutch slippage (apply more line pressure or cut engine torque to correct) or adjust shift speed (more line pressure for a harder shift, less for a slower and softer shift). It can also be used for fuel economy, reduce line pressure will lessen load on engine for better economy (tiny numbers only seen in testing) but feedback to prevent the clutches from slipping from too little pressure.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Learned something there for bolt pattern but you have main shafts, and all kinds of expense to convert it to 4x4 and beef it up. I ran one for years.

MonsterBIlly

The problem is the bolt pattern on the bell housing of all the 4r70 transmissions are slightly off. What can I search or how can I specify the correct 4r70?
4r70 out of a 98 or new and explorer or mountaineer will bolt up just fine. That is what I am running. Just need the controller.

OP
OP
P

purduerider

Contributor
There is 2 speed sensors. It fit with the adapter kit from Wild Horses. Can anyone rec cars, X back exhaust and headers?

nvrstuk

Contributor
USShift is highly recommended. No issues with them.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Out of curiosity, no love for the 4R100? Mine's bolted to a 351W, came that way from Ford. As I understand the numbering, and I could be wrong, it's designed for more torque than the 4R70. If nothing else 100 is louder than 70, so that must be better, right? ;)

I must admit to a little sticker-shock when looking at deeper pans for the 4R100......