• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best option for new steering box? Close ratio maybe?

Jeff B

Loc.
Wilmington, NC
A few weeks back I was removing the two front fenders and grill and had to use a sawzall to remove 3 old rust bolts from the right front fender. I guess the rattling shook the front a bit because now I have a huge oil stain under the steering box.

Didn't really like the furious turning of the steering wheel to turn too much and since it's shot I am thinking of getting a new one. I'd like to replace the whole steering from the box to the steering wheel.

Anyone recommend a good steering box and where to get it from and price? My 74 is not a rock crawler or heavy trail rider. DD and light trails in for this rig for now.

TIA for any help.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
A couple of things first...you didnt say whether you had manual or power steering to start. As well, if you want to replace the manual steering, people are always upgrading to PS and manual boxes are easy to come by. I have one off of my 76 that would love to stay on the road--only costs you shipping unless you have something else you'd want to trade. IF you do already have PS, your best bet is going to be to send it to West Texas Offroad or other box rebuilding shop (WTO has a great reputation on this site and has done the boxes for many of the guys here). WTO or another shop who knows what they are doing can also change the ratios inside the box, if you desire. They can also add fittings for hydraulic ram steering, but if your not a crawler, you probably dotn need it. Anyhow, A rebuilt box by a professional shop will be your cheapest and best bet unless you run huge tires. Others may have other comments and suggestions, but you wont hear anything bad about WTO. If I misread you and you have manual steering and want power, you best/cheapest option is finding a donor from a parts car, expect to spend $400-600, but you should be able to get everything off the donor. A kit from one of the vendors is nice but can be pricey. Best of luck.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I agree rebuild you old one if you have a power box the quick ratio option is availible but anything less than 4-1 may get a little hairy on the hiway
If you have a non power box right now any of the kits are fine with west coast broncos being one of the cheapest places to get them from although you will still need to source pulleys

JTCamp

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Jeff, contact West Texas Offroad at http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/index.html
and talk with Matt Hodges. He is very knowledgeable about these boxes. When I had mine done about 2 years ago it was $125 for a stock rebuild and an (I THINK) extra $100 for the short ratio, 3.25:1. I have been pleased with the results. I thought(I was wrong) that the box was leaking after they did the work and without any costs to me(shipping included) they took a look at it eventhough the leak wasn't from the box ultimately. Good luck.

John

P.S.-- Once they had the box it was a 3-5 day turnaround.

69marquisragtop

Loc.
Roanoke, VA
Regarding West Texas offroad, I recently had them rebuild the PS box from my '74. Just today I drove it for the first time since November 1, after the box rebuild, new: ball joints, steering shaft u-joint, drag link, tie rod ends, steering shaft bearings, stainless brake lines, C-bushings, track arm bushings, radius arm bushings, front coils and rear leafs. It drives like a new Bronco! West Texas was in contact with me regarding the box once they received it and even turned it around within two days. After driving it around town this evening the steering is flawless and predictable (or, as predictable as a Bronco can be ;) ). I would not hesitate to send another box to them. I give them two thumbs up!!!