• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Place to find Shorty Headers

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Anybody know of some good places to find cheap Shortys for a 302? The guy who owned mine before me put on long torque headers. And to make those fit, he had to remove the front driveshaft...so I am 2x4 til I fix this problem. Also opinions on what kind of exhaust to go with? I was thinking of straight duals, H-pipe, and MagnaFlow mufflers, but any input or opinions are appreciated.

tonto

Bronco Guru
Click here
for info on these.
shortys_installed.jpg

Or if you want cheap, get a set of 5.0 Mustang headers and see if your exhaust shop can deal with the sharp bend to clear the frame on the pass side or cut the collector off and re-position it to point at a better angle.
The driver side may have clearance problems with the clutch linkage to deal with if you have a manual tranny.
Hedman makes a nice set of 3/4 length shorties for about $180.00 a set, but I here there are also clearance problems with those and the shift linkage to the column on an auto.
These are just small issues to me, just takes some thought of how to deal with it, other people are using them so they must be able to figure out a way to get around the clearance and fitment issues.
I've also found when I want cheap I end up spending $$ on making it work and almost as much as if I would've just got what fits in the first place, this isn't always true but most of the time.
Good luck, Francois.

edge4

Contributor
Loc.
Gonzales, Texas
I agree with Tonto. You get what you pay for. I bucked up and bought the JBA shorty's from Wild Horses. They fit perfectly even with the EFI O2 sensors. Ran dual stainless pipes with Flowmaster 40's. <br>Unfortunately this is not the cheapest route.

swood

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Why do you want to run shorty headers? There is a specific reason to run long tubes (torque) and many bronco vendors sell headers that will fit just fine. Just curious I guess?

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
I need to run Shortys because I have a C6 from an F150. The headers the old owner used are so long and the C6 shape made the previous owner remove the front drive shaft. (The downpipe about an inch from the collector would rub against the shaft) I have the shaft, which will be put on after the new exhaust system is done. Also, he used the stock pipes so they are completely rusted and hang all over the place.

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
Here is what I did with the Mustang shorties - <br><br>
righthedmod2.jpg
<br><br>and here is what my exhaust looks like.<br><br>
mufflers.jpg
<br><br>I have about $100 in these headers. I got the exhaust tubing to modify the passenger header from the local exhaust shop. They generally have scrap that they'll give you for free.

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
I would do that if I had a welder. But you're talking to a college kid living 50 minutes from his Bronco :-[ and to have work done, needs to be able to drop it off, or do it himself. But if anyone out there feels inclined to let/lend/weld some stuff to me, it would be greatly appreciated ;D .