• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best place to Find an EFI engine and auto trans!

Bhall75

Loc.
Atlanta
Hello all! My question is what is the best route to take when looking for a 89-93 Mustang HO EFI engine w/ AOD? Also, what should I expect to pay?

Thanks in advance!

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
Start here, Craigslist, and eBay (sort by distance). BTW, if you're going through the process of getting a new engine/tranny, I'd skip straight to a 5.8.

Last edited:

sarens

I bought engine/trans from a 1991 Mustang last spring for $1200 (up in Michigan) I did get the whole car to allow me to remove it the way I wanted and with all items I needed related to it so that way I got everything in good shape, some guys are very willing to allow this as it saves them the effort (and disposal of all the fluids)

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I just started another EFI project for a friend. We picked up a running 96' Explorer 4x4 for $700. This is the most cost effective way to go to a newer 5.0/EFI, if you're able to do this type of work yourself. Just about everything you need is there. I send the ECU to EFIguy along with the info that he needs for a re flash. The harness I configure myself, but EFIguy provides that service if needed. The rest of the things needed for completion are the same weather you're doing OBDII(Explorer) or OBDI(Mustang). With the Explorer, it uses the 4R70w trans which is controlled by the ECU that EFIguy sets up. Coupling the 4R70w to the D20, is the same as going with the AOD.
For info about ECU flashing, PM EFI Guy on this board.

Mark

wepuckett

It sounds like you want the 4R70W not the AOD, as the AOD does not have the computer to shift gears is a little more old school.

As for what Garberz said if you can find a running ford explorer that is beat up on the outside and maybe even interior trashed that you can test drive and get cheap that is probably the best way to go and as always the more work you can do yourself the cheaper it is going to be.