• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best power steering conversion.

Tightdog

So just like the title says. I have a 72 with manual steering and a ton of play. So I want to convert to power steering. I'd like to get thoughts on what the best conversion kit is in terms of price, ease of install, and steering performance. I really want this thing to handle very well with tight steering. I've been looking at Duff, Toms, Wildhorses, and bronco graveyard. Would like to hear some real world thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
None of those vendors actually manufacture the gear boxes or the pumps.

So the performance, in my opinion, is going to be the same as if you went and bought the parts at Oreilly's.

Price is a matter of who has it on sale when you want to buy it.

I think all of them are so basic that none of them stand out as being difficult to install.

So, my advice would be to compare warranties, customer feedback, and free shipping.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I really want this thing to handle very well with tight steering.
Buy a Mustang instead.

I'm sure you are just as able to see the prices for the various kits on the vendors sites as any of us.

You have not let us know how you intend to use the Bronco, as this may make a difference in what the "best" kit is. You do realize that "best" is very subjective.

If you plan to run 33" tires or larger, you may want to install a Saganaw power steering pump.

Not sure what you mean by "steering performance". What I look for in a steering box is that when I turn the steering wheel to the right, the steering box turns the wheels to the right, etc.

The Bronco will never handle well. Best you can hope for is that it handles well... for a Bronco. And actually, the steering box is a very minor component of the steering and overall handling.

broncobilly72

Had manual steering for years.. Made it rough 4 wheeling. As I got older it was also rough on the arms and sholders. I purchased a new box and saginaw pump from Wild Horses. Had a mechanic friend locate the proper length steering shaft. After install, which was easy, had a local pump supply company build me all new fittings and hoses. All in all , I am extremely satisfied with the install and handling.......cost? about $1000.00 total and worth every penny. I'm too old to be hunting around junk yards or online auction sites. Remember, the last thing you would want to fail is you ability to steer a moving vehicle!