• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best solution, repair or replace factory door inserts?

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I’d say that if you have a skill at doing/working with fiberglass, just jump right in and repair them. But what do I know, my 77 is on jack stands waiting on me to reassemble.

Randy

OP
OP
T

Teo

Contributor
Definitely repair them. The original inserts are unique and hard to find.
I am definitely not an expert with fiberglass repair. I agree with you about the repair. The parts are in place now and with a few new fasteners and a quality repair they will be good as 1966 new. I’ll research a shop that’s familiar with this a request any recommendations that my fellow owners can help me with. Thank you all.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Might inquire at a boat shop. They might be able to lead you to someone that works on glass bodies. Doesn't look all that difficult, but my time working on a fiberglass canoe tells me I'd just soon hire it out.

OP
OP
T

Teo

Contributor
Might inquire at a boat shop. They might be able to lead you to someone that works on glass bodies. Doesn't look all that difficult, but my time working on a fiberglass canoe tells me I'd just soon hire it out.

OP
OP
T

Teo

Contributor
Thanks Bronco Guru, I agree. My experience says to let the craftsman do their job. I’ll check some local boat shops

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Signs:
Pitkin Nursery: UofI?
Yamhill River: Western Oregon?

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Fiberglass is easy to work on. You can get kits for small stuff at the hardware store. The resin won't stick to plastic, so use plastic sheets, bags, whatever to your advantage over wood or something to clamp stuff together while the resin dries. Put new sheets on the backside of the breaks, and then use a softer, sandable filler on the paint side that's easy to work with.
ea753549f8aa5505daaffd58689b6cae.jpg

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk